[comp.periphs] Wanted: Delni

robert@csustan.UUCP (Robert Zeff) (06/04/88)

I'm about to connect three workstations via ethernet.
(A Tektronix 4301, & two 6130's) I've been told that I need a
"Delni" or Delni look-alike.  Can someone point me to a cheap
source?

Thanks,
--
Robert Zeff                         (209) 577-4268 voice, FAX: (209) 577-8548
2549 Yosemite Blvd Ste. E           {lll-lcc,lll-crg}!csustan!zhome!robert

celeste@coherent.com (Celeste C. Stokely) (06/06/88)

>I'm about to connect three workstations via ethernet.
>(A Tektronix 4301, & two 6130's) I've been told that I need a
>"Delni" or Delni look-alike.  Can someone point me to a cheap
>source?

Save yourself a lot of grief and don't buy a Delni. They seems to suffer
from some of the worst quality control problems I've ever seen. If you get
a good one, they're great, but it's hard to get a good Delni.

I like Cabletron's MT-800 Multiport Tranceiver Unit. It has blinky lights
that help you figure out what's wrong with your net, 8 ports, and can be
cascaded 2 deep to give you up to 64 ports. (I've seen this work great!
Amazing!)

I'm sorry I don't have an exact price for you, but it was significantly
less than 8 individual tranceivers. Buy Cabletron--I've never had
Cabletron gear be Dead On Arrival. The one time a piece of their gear
broke on me, I called their 800 number, they sent a replacement the next
day--BEFORE I sent in the broken gear. Superior company.

(No, I don't work for Cabletron, but if they'd like to send me a TDR for
being such a nice person, I wouldn't mind!  Just kidding, Net Police. ;-)

..Celeste Stokely
Coherent Thought Inc.
UUCP:   ...!{ames,sun,uunet}!coherent!celeste  Domain: celeste@coherent.com
Internet: coherent!celeste@ames.arpa or ...@sun.com or ...@uunet.uu.net
VOX:  415-493-8805
SNAIL:3350 W. Bayshore Rd. #205, Palo Alto CA  94303

phil@amdcad.AMD.COM (Phil Ngai) (06/07/88)

In article <5398@coherent.com> celeste@coherent.com (Celeste C. Stokely) writes:
>Save yourself a lot of grief and don't buy a Delni. They seems to suffer
>from some of the worst quality control problems I've ever seen. If you get
>a good one, they're great, but it's hard to get a good Delni.

Could you go into more detail on this? How can you tell if your DELNI is bad?

We have used a lot of Cabletron equipment and are very happy with them also.
Mostly transceivers. We started using DELNIs before Cabletron was around
and for lack of any problems directly attributed to them stuck with them.

By coincidence, we are seeing problems in a new building and I wonder if
the DELNIs are the culprit.
--

I speak for myself, not the company.
Phil Ngai, {ucbvax,decwrl,allegra}!amdcad!phil or phil@amd.com