[comp.periphs] Hercules Graphics Card

ecf_ests@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Sumit Sen) (07/07/88)

	Although Hercules cards are supported by many graphing packages
and terminal emulators, neither Microsoft C nor Turbo C have predefined
graphics routines for this card.  I understand that VGA/EGA/CGA are the
standards for the PC, however there are many Hercules cards out there.
If anyone knows of a package that allows the Hercules card to emulate
EGA or CGA mode, please send me email.

	If such a package does not exist, or if it is easier to simply
access the display routines directly that would be fine also.

	Any information on this will be greatly appreciated.

	Thanks in advance...

Ralf.Brown@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU (07/08/88)

In article <6638@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU>, ecf_ests@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Sumit Sen) writes:
}        Although Hercules cards are supported by many graphing packages
}and terminal emulators, neither Microsoft C nor Turbo C have predefined
}graphics routines for this card.

Wrong, Turbo C 1.5 has a graphics driver for Herc, as well as
CGA, EGA, VGA, PC3270, AT&T 6300, and 8514A.  The graphics demo is quite
impressive even in monochrome.  Turbo C 1.0 didn't have graphics routines
for *any* cards.

}If anyone knows of a package that allows the Hercules card to emulate
}EGA or CGA mode, please send me email.

From SIMTEL20.ARPA or most any IBM PC BBS:

"PD1:","<MSDOS.SCREEN>","SIMCGA40.ARC",1,13312,8,871204,""
"PD1:","<MSDOS.SCREEN>","HGCIB202.ARC",1,102055,8,871027,""

--
UUCP: {ucbvax,harvard}!cs.cmu.edu!ralf -=-=-=- Voice: (412) 268-3053 (school)
ARPA: ralf@cs.cmu.edu  BIT: ralf%cs.cmu.edu@CMUCCVMA  FIDO: Ralf Brown 1:129/31

wew@naucse.UUCP (Bill Wilson) (07/08/88)

From article <6638@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU>, by ecf_ests@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Sumit Sen):

> 	Although Hercules cards are supported by many graphing packages
> and terminal emulators, neither Microsoft C nor Turbo C have predefined
> graphics routines for this card.  I understand that VGA/EGA/CGA are the

Turbo C in its latest release provides support for Hercules graphics
with the new device independant graphics routines.

--
Bill Wilson                          (Bitnet: ucc2wew@nauvm)
Northern AZ Univ

kneller@cgl.ucsf.edu (Don Kneller) (07/09/88)

In article <6638@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> ecf_ests@jhunix.UUCP (Sumit Sen) writes:

>	Although Hercules cards are supported by many graphing packages
>and terminal emulators, neither Microsoft C nor Turbo C have predefined
>graphics routines for this card.

Microsoft C 5.1 has Hercules support in its graphics library.

-----
	Don Kneller
UUCP:		...ucbvax!ucsfcgl!kneller
INTERNET:	kneller@cgl.ucsf.edu
BITNET:		kneller@ucsfcgl.BITNET

rod@cpocd2.UUCP (Rod Rebello) (07/10/88)

In article <6638@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> ecf_ests@jhunix.UUCP (Sumit Sen) writes:
>	Although Hercules cards are supported by many graphing packages
>and terminal emulators, neither Microsoft C nor Turbo C have predefined
>graphics routines for this card.

Perhaps you have only looked at Turbo C 1.0.  The 1.5 update for Turbo
C has an extensive set of graphics routines for the hercules card, as
well as CGA, EGA, VGA, AT&T 400-line Graphics Adapter, and 3270 Graphics
Adapter.

- Rod

scott@h-three.UUCP (scott) (07/15/88)

In article <22d4b434@ralf>, Ralf.Brown@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU writes:
> In article <6638@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU>, ecf_ests@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Sumit Sen) writes:
> }        Although Hercules cards are supported by many graphing packages
> }and terminal emulators, neither Microsoft C nor Turbo C have predefined
> }graphics routines for this card.
>
> Wrong, Turbo C 1.5 has a graphics driver for Herc, as well as
> CGA, EGA, VGA, PC3270, AT&T 6300, and 8514A.  The graphics demo is quite
> impressive even in monochrome.  Turbo C 1.0 didn't have graphics routines
> for *any* cards.
And Microsoft C 5.1 support the Hercules card.
--
Scott H. Crenshaw
h-three Systems Corporation             {akgua,decvax}!mcnc!rti!h-three!scott