[comp.periphs] Questions on SCSI device interfacing...

lenny@icus.UUCP (Lenny Tropiano) (07/20/88)

With the recent announcement by IDT Systems to support SCSI devices on
the AT&T 3B1, some questions have come up in my mind.  I haven't had
too much experience with SCSI devices.  The only experience that I had
was hooking up some SCSI tape drives to 3B2/400 units.   [For those
who are wondering what SCSI stands for it is:  [S]mall [C]omputer
[S]tandard [I]nterface]

The questions that I have are:

   1.   Do I have to buy a special interface when I purchase SCSI devices,
	or if the device says it is SCSI compatible will it include
	the necessary hardware to just hook up the 50-pin Centronics SCSI
	cable directly?

   2.   How do you hook a multiple of devices (up to 7) to the SCSI host
	adapter?  Do you just need to daisy-chain them along and give
	each a particular identification in the device driver?

   3.   Do SCSI devices cost MORE or LESS than other devices?  In
	particular, tape drives and hard drives.

Please E-Mail if possible, I will summarize for the net-at-large...

Thanks,
Lenny
--
Paper-net: Lenny Tropiano          | @-net:         lenny@icus.UUCP
           ICUS Software Systems   | !-net:      ...att    \

rusty@hodge.UUCP (Rusty Hodge) (07/22/88)

In article <433@icus.UUCP>, lenny@icus.UUCP (Lenny Tropiano) writes:
> With the recent announcement by IDT Systems to support SCSI devices on
> the AT&T 3B1, some questions have come up in my mind.
> The questions that I have are:
>
>    1.   Do I have to buy a special interface when I purchase SCSI devices,
> 	or if the device says it is SCSI compatible will it include
> 	the necessary hardware to just hook up the 50-pin Centronics SCSI
> 	cable directly?

A raw SCSI drive usually has a 50-pin header connection.  The standard SCSI
connection is a 50-pin Centronics.  The Macintosh folks use a DB-25.  Don't
ask me to explain, but it works.  I think that IDT is going to use a DB-25
a la Macintosh.  You could just buy any Mac hard drive system and plug it in.
Or make a cable and use a raw drive.

>    2.   How do you hook a multiple of devices (up to 7) to the SCSI host
> 	adapter?  Do you just need to daisy-chain them along and give
> 	each a particular identification in the device driver?

You just daisy-chain them.  The drive has a Device ID jumper on it.  There are
8 ids, the host interface is one of them.

>    3.   Do SCSI devices cost MORE or LESS than other devices?  In
> 	particular, tape drives and hard drives.

Embedded-SCSI drives cost about 10% more than ther drives sometimes.  Some
drives (Seagate ST-277N, 60mb 40ms) are very competitive: $450 or less.

A SCSI CDC Wren 300mb 16.5ms drive should be able to be found for just over
$2000.  A 150mb version for under $1300.

You can buy a complete CMS Mac External 140mb system for under $1500.
This includes a case, power supply and 1-year warranty.  There are plenty
of other suppliers to choose from (Like Micah, right Larry? :->).

Well, this is exciting.  I've finally answered a question from Lenny.
It feels good to answer rather than ask for a change! :->

--

Rusty Hodge, HCR Inc, 1588 N. Batavia St. Orange, CA 92667      (714) 974-6300
rusty@hodge.cts.com [uunet vdelta crash]!hodge!rusty        FAX (714) 921-8038

vixie@palo-alto.DEC.COM (Paul Vixie) (07/23/88)

In article <704@hodge.UUCP> rusty@hodge.UUCP (Rusty Hodge) writes:
# A raw SCSI drive usually has a 50-pin header connection.  The standard SCSI
# connection is a 50-pin Centronics.  The Macintosh folks use a DB-25.  Don't
# ask me to explain, but it works.

The 50-pin ribbon cables have ground on every other pin, which is common.  So
there are only 25 pins worth keeping if you don't care about horizontal
shielding between each pair of pins.

The Apple DB25 setup has a shield around all 25 pins, which is connected, at
the Centronics-to-DB25 connection, to the bus-bar of 25 grounds found in the
50-pin ribbon cable.

It sounds flinky but it works.
--
Paul Vixie
Digital Equipment Corporation	Work:  vixie@dec.com	Play:  paul@vixie.UUCP

kinsell@hpfclm.HP.COM (Dave Kinsell) (07/25/88)

># A raw SCSI drive usually has a 50-pin header connection.  The standard SCSI
># connection is a 50-pin Centronics.  The Macintosh folks use a DB-25.  Don't
># ask me to explain, but it works.
>
>The 50-pin ribbon cables have ground on every other pin, which is common.  So
>there are only 25 pins worth keeping if you don't care about horizontal
>shielding between each pair of pins.

  Single-ended SCSI, which is what we're talking about here, has 9 data
  lines, 9 control lines, and a line for terminator power.  Differential
  SCSI uses some of the single-ended ground lines as opposite polarity
  signals.

  Apple sells some "SCSI" (quote/unquote) extension cables with two 50
  pin connectors, but leaving out most of the "unnecessary" ground
  lines.  Differential SCSI shifts the pin definitions by one place, and
  one of the handshake lines gets shifted into one of the unconnected
  positions.  Works really great.

>The Apple DB25 setup has a shield around all 25 pins, which is connected, at
>the Centronics-to-DB25 connection, to the bus-bar of 25 grounds found in the
>50-pin ribbon cable.
>
>It sounds flinky but it works.

  I suppose you could make lamp cord work, if you really wanted to, but many
  people are interested in standardization of such things.

>Paul Vixie

-Dave Kinsell
 kinsell@hpfclm.HP.COM
 ...!hplabs!hpfclm!kinsell

brianm@sco.COM (Brian Moffet) (07/25/88)

In article <704@hodge.UUCP> rusty@hodge.UUCP (Rusty Hodge) writes:

>A raw SCSI drive usually has a 50-pin header connection.  The standard SCSI
>connection is a 50-pin Centronics.  The Macintosh folks use a DB-25.  Don't

Simplest reason is the SCSI has about 1/2 of its lines as ground.
This allows them to be strung out great distances from the machine.
With the Mac Interface (Most Amiga drives also) you have to keep the
drive really close to the computer.
--
Brian Moffet		brianm@sco.com  {uunet,decvax!microsof}!sco!brianm
The opinions expressed are not quite clear and have no relation to my employer.

ems@Apple.COM (Mike Smith) (07/29/88)

In article <698@viscous> brianm@sco.COM (Brian Moffet) writes:
>In article <704@hodge.UUCP> rusty@hodge.UUCP (Rusty Hodge) writes:
>>
>>A raw SCSI drive usually has a 50-pin header connection.  The standard SCSI
>>connection is a 50-pin Centronics.  The Macintosh folks use a DB-25.  Don't
>
>Simplest reason is the SCSI has about 1/2 of its lines as ground.
>This allows them to be strung out great distances from the machine.
>With the Mac Interface (Most Amiga drives also) you have to keep the
>drive really close to the computer.

You must have a different definition of 'really close' than I do.  I've
seen Mac drives on cables about 10 feet long.  I *THINK* it will go the
full 20 ft. in the spec., but haven't personally seen it.

E. Michael Smith  ...!sun!apple!ems

'If you can dream it, you can do it'  Walt Disney

This is the obligatory disclaimer of everything. (Including but
not limited to: typos, spelling, diction, logic, and nuclear war)

jacobsen@daniel.its.rpi.edu (Dana Jacobsen) (07/29/88)

Dana Jacobsen
 TGitM@rpitsmts.bitnet         "The Truth Shall Make You Free."
  ghost@paraguay.acm.rpi.edu        -RPI-ACM South American Thinktank
   ..!seismo!itsgw!brazil!ghost         Troy, NY
Dana Jacobsen
 TGitM@rpitsmts.bitnet         "The Truth Shall Make You Free."
  ghost@paraguay.acm.rpi.edu        -RPI-ACM South American Thinktank
   ..!seismo!itsgw!brazil!ghost         Troy, NY

jacobsen@daniel.its.rpi.edu (Dana Jacobsen) (07/29/88)

Does anyone know if you can run a Mac drive on a Sun?  The Mac
drives seem to be much less expensive.  Has anyone done this?

jeff@ndcheg.cheg.nd.edu (Jeffrey C. Kantor) (08/01/88)

In article <1013@imagine.PAWL.RPI.EDU>, jacobsen@daniel.its.rpi.edu (Dana Jacobsen) writes:
> Does anyone know if you can run a Mac drive on a Sun?  The Mac
> drives seem to be much less expensive.  Has anyone done this?

I called Jasmine a few days ago with this very question.  They say its no
problem.  Just a matter of knowing some of the physical parameters of the
disk so that you can answer the questions of /sys/diag properly.

Apparently this is possible because the disks these vendors use have an
embedded Emulex MD21 (or lookalike) controller.  The sun knows how to run
one of these.

--
Jeff Kantor                      US Mail:  Department of Chemical Engineering
                                           University of Notre Dame

In article <14901@apple.Apple.COM> ems@apple.apple.com.UUCP (Mike Smith) writes:
>>With the Mac Interface (Most Amiga drives also) you have to keep the
>>drive really close to the computer.
>
>You must have a different definition of 'really close' than I do.  I've
>seen Mac drives on cables about 10 feet long...

In SCSI cabling, as in Ethernet cabling and RS232 cabling, there is a big
and important difference between what you can sometimes get away with and
what is guaranteed to work consistently and reliably.
--
MSDOS is not dead, it just     |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
smells that way.               | uunet!mnetor!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

bdale@hpcsrc.HP.COM (Bdale Garbee) (08/03/88)

>You must have a different definition of 'really close' than I do.  I've
>seen Mac drives on cables about 10 feet long.  I *THINK* it will go the
>full 20 ft. in the spec., but haven't personally seen it.

Anything will work for somebody, somewhere.  Try running in a high-RF noise
environment sometime... fully shielded differential cables work, most else
doesn't...

Bdale

farren@gethen.UUCP (Michael J. Farren) (08/04/88)

In article <14901@apple.Apple.COM> ems@apple.apple.com.UUCP (Mike Smith) writes:

>I've seen Mac drives on cables about 10 feet long.  I *THINK* it will go the
>full 20 ft. in the spec., but haven't personally seen it.

And *I*, personally, wouldn't try it.  My data been bery, bery, good to
me - I'd like to be just as good to it.  Long cables at high data rates
are bad news.  Especially with an interface that ignores grounding
conventions (like Apple's).

--
Michael J. Farren             | "INVESTIGATE your point of view, don't just
{ucbvax, uunet, hoptoad}!     | dogmatize it!  Reflect on it and re-evaluate

thad@cup.portal.com (08/29/88)

Many systems supporting SCSI (Amiga, Mac, etc.) use a DB25 connector at
the host-adapter end to save real-estate; the SCSI devices themselves
use the "correct" 50-pin connectors (either Centronics 50-pin or the
dual-25 row kind).

The so-called "Mac System Cable" has a DB-25 on one end and a Centronics
50-pin connector on the other.  SCSI interconnects are 50-wire.

At the end of this posting are the pinouts of the DB25 and the 50-wire.

One thing I've noticed (after adding over 1GB HD and a Fujitsu 190MB tape
drive to my Amiga's SCSI bus) is that some device manufacturers take liberties
with SCSI wires 20,22,24,28,30, and 34; some tie these to ground, some tie
them to +5VDC, and some leave them (properly) unconnected.

Another caveat with multiple devices on a given bus is to be SURE that only
one is supplying +5VDC on SCSI pin 26 for terminator power.  Some mfrs provide
jumpers to enable/disable, some feed thru a diode, some feed the power out
"raw", and some do nothing.

What I do on my system is supply terminator power from the host adapter, and
use an external terminator at the END of the bus.

From my experience, what I suggest is that when you're making the cabling,
pull pins 20,22,24,26,28,30,34 from the connector that attaches to the embedded
SCSI drive and/or SCSI translator.  I've noticed that Apple's SCSI interconnect
cables do NOT pass pins 20,22,24,28,30,34 (for the reason I noted above).

Another observation I'd like to make is that MANY of the 3rd party consumer-
grade mfrs of SCSI HDs wire their boxes INCORRECTLY.  SCSI specs mandate no
more than a 10cm "stub" off the bus, yet many Mac-type drives I've opened up
(just gotta see what's in there! :-) have a 2" 50-wire connection joining the
two Centronics connectors continuing with a 15" stub to the 50-wire connector
on either an embedded SCSI drive or an Adapter 4000A or 4070 translator.  This
mis-wiring would account for the problems people have running a SCSI bus out
to 20 feet (I have no problems since I wired my systems correctly, and the
last device is 19' from the host adapter).   Remember: SCSI wiring is
supposed to be DAISY-CHAINED, per:

              WRONG:                                CORRECT:
        ____________________                   __________________
       /                    \                 /                  \
      []                    |                []                  |
       \                    \_DISK                               \_DISK
       /                                                         /
      []                                     []                  |
                                              \__________________/

      The "[]" is a 50-pin Centronics connector

SCSI Connector (DB-25)

Pin     Name
-------------
 1      REQ
 2      MSG
 3      I/O
 4      RST
 5      ACK
 6      BSY
 7      GND
 8      DB0
 9      GND
10      DB3
11      DB5
12      DB6
13      DB7
14      GND
15      C/D
16      GND
17      ATN
18      GND
19      SEL
20      DBP
21      DB1
22      DB2
23      DB4
24      GND
25      N.C. (or) Terminator Power

SCSI Connector (50 pin header)

Pin     Name          Pin     Name
-----------------------------------
 1      GND            2      DB0
 3      GND            4      DB1
 5      GND            6      DB2
 7      GND            8      DB3
 9      GND           10      DB4
11      GND           12      DB5
13      GND           14      DB6
15      GND           16      DB7
17      GND           18      DBP
19      GND           20      GND   <- caution: not always
21      GND           22      GND   <- caution: not always
23      GND           24      GND   <- caution: not always
25      N.C.          26      Terminator Power
27      GND           28      GND   <- caution: not always
29      GND           30      GND   <- caution: not always
31      GND           32      ATN
33      GND           34      GND   <- caution: not always
35      GND           36      BSY
37      GND           38      ACK
39      GND           40      RST
41      GND           42      MSG
43      GND           44      SEL
45      GND           46      C/D
47      GND           48      REQ
49      GND           50      I/O

Thad Floryan  [thad@cup.portal.com  (or)  ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad]

jlohmeye@entec.Wichita.NCR.COM (John Lohmeyer) (09/03/88)

In article <8551@cup.portal.com> Thad Floryan writes:
> ... text deleted...
>One thing I've noticed (after adding over 1GB HD and a Fujitsu 190MB tape
>drive to my Amiga's SCSI bus) is that some device manufacturers take liberties
>with SCSI wires 20,22,24,28,30, and 34; some tie these to ground, some tie
>them to +5VDC, and some leave them (properly) unconnected.
                                    ^^^^^^^^^^
These pins should properly be tied to ground.  Unterminated signals can cause
noise problems.  Anyone who ties these lines to +5VDC not only violates the
SCSI standard but will cook some fuses (or failing that, some power supplies).

>Another caveat with multiple devices on a given bus is to be SURE that only
>one is supplying +5VDC on SCSI pin 26 for terminator power.  Some mfrs provide
>jumpers to enable/disable, some feed thru a diode, some feed the power out
>"raw", and some do nothing.

The best thing to do is have all initiators (host adapters -- there may be
more than one) provide TERMPWR through a diode and a fuse.  This is what
SCSI-2 requires.  Targets may also provide TERMPWR through a diode and a fuse.

Your comments on daisy-chaining are quite correct.  I like your diagram. Apple
and other vendors opted for the DB-25 connectors to save space. Obviously,
something had to go so they eliminated some ground signals. They may have shot
themselves in the foot.  These grounds affect their ability to transfer data
at high speeds.  At least they kept the 50-pin connectors on their external
boxes. If a future Apple processor needs really fast transfers, it will
probably have to use all 50-pins.  At least the peripheral boxes won't have
to be scrapped.

John Lohmeyer, X3T9.2 (SCSI) Chairman   j.lohmeyer@Wichita.NCR.COM

kc@hprndlb.HP.COM (Kurt Chan) (09/08/88)

> The best thing to do is have all initiators (host adapters -- there may be
> more than one) provide TERMPWR through a diode and a fuse.  This is what
> SCSI-2 requires...
         ^^^^^^^^

Do you recall the reason for this requirement?  Bob and I were discussing a
solution to one of our system problems that involves making sure one and only
one source of TERMPWR exists on the bus.

By taking TERMPWR away from other initiators (removing the fuse) we have
more predictability in terms of which devices experience RST on a cable
disconnect, since the termination network will ground all the lines, including
RST, when TERMPWR is lost.

By keeping other initiators (yes I know, even other hosts) from providing
TERMPWR, our on-line-replacement procedure is a bit easier.

Kurt Chan
HP, Roseville Networks

(waiting for my PC to come so I can use the SCSI BB more effectively)

jlohmeye@entec.Wichita.NCR.COM (John Lohmeyer) (09/11/88)

In article <4740003@hprndlb.HP.COM> kc@hprndlb.HP.COM (Kurt Chan) writes:
>> The best thing to do is have all initiators (host adapters -- there may be
>> more than one) provide TERMPWR through a diode and a fuse.  This is what
>> SCSI-2 requires...
>         ^^^^^^^^
>
>Do you recall the reason for this requirement?  Bob and I were discussing a
>solution to one of our system problems that involves making sure one and only
>one source of TERMPWR exists on the bus.
>
>By taking TERMPWR away from other initiators (removing the fuse) we have
>more predictability in terms of which devices experience RST on a cable
>disconnect, since the termination network will ground all the lines, including
>RST, when TERMPWR is lost.
>
>By keeping other initiators (yes I know, even other hosts) from providing
>TERMPWR, our on-line-replacement procedure is a bit easier.

Yes, I remember the reason for the requirement -- it was to insure that a
multi-initiator system could continue to run even though one or more devices
lost power. In such a system, the initiators are all equal peers. It sounds
like you have a system where one of the initiators is more equal (a master).
If it is off, then the SCSI bus is not usable by the other initiators.

If the standard were revised to consider your application, then the requirement
would have to be that initiators provide a facility to _optionally_ provide
terminator power. This means that either a strap be added or the fuse must be
in a holder (as opposed to soldered in). I'm sure there would be some
disagreement to this idea, but it might be accepted.  A very similar idea was
shot down last month to require targets to provide optional terminator power.

Of course, you can always just continue to ignore this part of the standard.
But if you want the standard revised, then you need to go through the hassle
of bringing a proposal to  the committee.  Call me at 316-636-8703 and I can
give further advice on how to do this.

John Lohmeyer    jlohmeyer@Wichita.NCR.COM    SCSI BBS: 316-636-8700