[comp.periphs] need help to reduce a monitor's squeal

jeffj@pedsga.UUCP (09/26/88)

I have a question worthy of the net's collective wisdom.
My hearing extends into the high frequency end (>15kHz).

I can hear several terminals and televisions 'squeal'.
I understand that this is the flyback transformer at the scan frequency.

Is there anything I can do to attentuate the squeal?
How about a coating on the transformer?  Inside the cabinet?
I'm not interested in TEMPEST conformance, just reducing
my headaches.
Isn't there an OSHA limit for such stuff?

Jeffrey Jonas

allegra!io!mtune!petsd!pedsga!jeffj
decvax!mcnc!rutgers!petsd!pedsga!jeffj

markz@ssc.UUCP (Mark Zenier) (10/01/88)

In article <716@pedsga.UUCP>, jeffj@pedsga.UUCP writes:

> I can hear several terminals and televisions 'squeal'.
> I understand that this is the flyback transformer at the scan frequency.
>
> Is there anything I can do to attentuate the squeal?
> How about a coating on the transformer?  Inside the cabinet?

Its usually the mounting hardware for the HV transformer.  Try tightening
the mounting hardware.  Or rubber wedges around the transfomer coil.  or
just spreading a bunch of silicone caulk around the rectangular ferrite
tranformer core.

Mark Zenier	uunet!pilchuck!ssc!markz
"He did decide, though, that with more time and a great deal of mental effort,
he could probably turn the activity into an acceptable perversion"-Mick Farren