[comp.periphs] 1:1 interleave controllers

kevin@horizon.UUCP (Kevin Criqui) (09/23/88)

My appologies if this has been asked (and answered) before.  I just recently
got net access.  Due to a bizzare upgrade path, I currently have an XT style
hard disk controller in my 286.  I'm ready to buy a 16 bit AT controller
and have one last question.  Is it worth the extra money to get a controller
that can use a 1:1 interleave?  My machine is a 10 MHz, 0 wait state 80286
so speed shouldn't be a problem (should it?).  I have also heard that you
need a 28mS step drive for 1:1 to work.  Is this true?  I guess I've been
wanting to upgrade my ST238 anyway...

Another question comes to mind.  Has anyone tried to format a Seagate ST4096
RLL (2,7)?  I have heard that it won't work, but they said my ST225 wouldn't
either and it works great.

Email if you can.  I can't help you with the path (yet) as I am still trying
to figure it out myself.  Thanks.

	_kevin

davidsen@steinmetz.ge.com (William E. Davidsen Jr) (09/27/88)

In article <241@horizon.UUCP> kevin@horizon.UUCP (Kevin Criqui) writes:
|                  ...             I'm ready to buy a 16 bit AT controller
| and have one last question.  Is it worth the extra money to get a controller
| that can use a 1:1 interleave?  My machine is a 10 MHz, 0 wait state 80286

  If you're running DOS it is. If you're running UNIX, probably not. The
reason is that most 1:1 controllers work with a combination of hardware
and firmware in the controller ROM. Therefore, UNIX, which doesn't use
the firmware, does not benefit.

| Another question comes to mind.  Has anyone tried to format a Seagate ST4096
| RLL (2,7)?  I have heard that it won't work, but they said my ST225 wouldn't
| either and it works great.

  There is an RLL version which is a lot more money and appears to be
nothing but a hand selected 4096. Most 4096's will run RLL okay (I'm
running some) but it's not guaranteed. If you're trying to save a few
bucks I'd try it. At 4096 prices you can probably sell one 4096 at a
loss, buy another, and still be hundreds ahead of the price for the RLL
version.

Disclamer: I said it's not guaranteed.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

berger@clio.las.uiuc.edu (09/28/88)

If you take the route of selling an ST-4096 that has been formatted
under RLL, successfully or not, please be sure to tell the purchaser.
Seagate absolutely will not service the drive, in or out of warranty.

I've run a couple of ST4038 and ST4096 drives under RLL with no
problems.

gerard@tscs.UUCP (Stephen M. Gerard) (09/28/88)

In article <241@horizon.UUCP> kevin@horizon.UUCP (Kevin Criqui) writes:
>. . .
>hard disk controller in my 286.  I'm ready to buy a 16 bit AT controller
>and have one last question.  Is it worth the extra money to get a controller
>that can use a 1:1 interleave?
For the most part, it is better to use 1 to 1 interleave.  This, however
is somewhat dependant on you applications program.  Programs that do not
use reasonable sized disk buffers can actually run slower with lower
interleave factors.  This is due to the fact that the program goes through
a cycle of:

	1.) Read data
	2.) Process Data
	3.) Goto 1

If the task of processing the data takes longer than the gap between the
record just read and next disk record to be read, the controller is forced
to wait for that data record to come back around to the read/write head.
Commands that use decent sized buffers will perform much better with lower
interleave factors.

>My machine is a 10 MHz, 0 wait state 80286 so speed shouldn't be a problem
>(should it?).
A 10MHz 0ws AT clone will work nicely with 1:1 interleave.

>I have also heard that you need a 28mS step drive for 1:1 to work.  Is this
>true?  I guess I've been wanting to upgrade my ST238 anyway...
The step rate and interleave factor deal with different aspects of a disk's
performance.

The step rate is the time required to reposition the disk drive's read/write
head to a different cylinder.

The interleave factor determines the amount of time the controller must
wait before it can read the next logical record from the disk drive.

Hense, we can see that the step rate determines the amount of time required
to position the disk's read/write heads to a different cylinder, and the
interleave factor determines the best possible rate in which the data on
a given cylinder can be transfered.

So to answer the question, No, you do not need a 28ms step rate to take
advantage of a 1:1 interleave factor.  However, upgrading from a ST238
is never a bad idea if possible.

>Another question comes to mind.  Has anyone tried to format a Seagate ST4096
>RLL (2,7)?  I have heard that it won't work, but they said my ST225 wouldn't
>either and it works great.
Seagate's media quality and testing methods are questionable.

When using RLL technology you are in effect increasing the density in which
the data is stored on the drive.  I have seen many Seagate drives format just
fine with RLL controllers only to become unbootable in a few hours.  I have
also seen many Seagate's using MFM controllers that need to be reformatted
much more often than higher quality drives.

(Warning: Strong opinion coming)
The only drive that Seagate makes that I would recommend is the ST4096.
I would not however, use any Seagate drive with an RLL controller unless
it was one of their drives that is specifically rated for RLL.  They have
a model ST4144R which I believe to be an RLL rated 4096. At least the
pricing should be similar, it has the same geometry as the 4096.

Sorry for the Seagate bashing.  I have seen too many problems with Seagate
drives to feel comfortable with recommending them in general.  At least
you do not have a Miniscribe :-).

Hope that this helps, Steve

Stephen Gerard  -  Total Support Computer Systems  -  Tampa  -  (813) 876-5990
UUCP: gerard@tscs						...tscs!gerard
US-MAIL: Post Office Box 15395 - Tampa, Florida  33684-5395

sid@linus.UUCP (Sid Stuart) (10/01/88)

In article <17700021@clio> berger@clio.las.uiuc.edu writes:

>If you take the route of selling an ST-4096 that has been formatted
>under RLL, successfully or not, please be sure to tell the purchaser.
>Seagate absolutely will not service the drive, in or out of warranty.
>
>I've run a couple of ST4038 and ST4096 drives under RLL with no
>problems.

Yes, but if you reformat it with an MFM controller, how are they going
to tell it has been formatted with an rll?

sid@linus

ps.
I am not being sarcastic, I really want to know.

sl@van-bc.UUCP (pri=-10 Stuart Lynne) (10/03/88)

In article <40430@linus.UUCP> sid@milo.UUCP (Sid Stuart) writes:

>>If you take the route of selling an ST-4096 that has been formatted
>>under RLL, successfully or not, please be sure to tell the purchaser.
>>Seagate absolutely will not service the drive, in or out of warranty.

>Yes, but if you reformat it with an MFM controller, how are they going
>to tell it has been formatted with an rll?

Well most people only want warranty work when it's busted. And good luck
getting it re-formatted when it doesn't work.

--
Stuart.Lynne@wimsey.bc.ca {ubc-cs,uunet}!van-bc!sl     Vancouver,BC,604-937-7532

cem@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Malloy) (10/03/88)

In article <40430@linus.UUCP>, sid@linus.UUCP (Sid Stuart) writes:
> In article <17700021@clio> berger@clio.las.uiuc.edu writes:
> >
> >If you take the route of selling an ST-4096 that has been formatted
> >under RLL, successfully or not, please be sure to tell the purchaser.
> >Seagate absolutely will not service the drive, in or out of warranty.
>
> Yes, but if you reformat it with an MFM controller, how are they going
> to tell it has been formatted with an rll?
>
> I am not being sarcastic, I really want to know.

      I also wanted to know so I called Seagate and asked.  They said
that the first thing that the "techs" do is a low level format of any
drive that is sent back for repair.  So, if you format an MFM drive
as RLL, they will not know it since they will low level format it to
MFM before they do anything else.

      If you do a low level format of a previously formated drive,
the previous format will NEVER be known.

Clancy Malloy
...!ihlpf!cem