[comp.periphs] VME <=> PC bus

mac3n@babbage.acc.virginia.edu (Alex Colvin) (10/04/88)

Is there a device available to link a PC bus to a VME bus?
I have a PC that I'd like to make a peripheral on the VME bus.

If I can't share memory among the machines, is there a fast, simple,
short-haul link?  I'd rather not use a 2.5 meter ethernet.

dan@rna.UUCP (Dan Ts'o) (10/05/88)

In article <363@babbage.acc.virginia.edu> mac3n@babbage.acc.virginia.edu (Alex Colvin) writes:
>Is there a device available to link a PC bus to a VME bus?
>I have a PC that I'd like to make a peripheral on the VME bus.

	There are several manufacturers of PCbus to VME bus adapters, generally
designed to allow a PC/AT computer to driver VME bus peripherals. I believe
Bit 3 is one such company. There are several others. Image Technology uses such
an adapter to have a PC/AT use their VME-based image processing box. Let me know
if you're interested further and need phone numbers, etc.

				Cheers,
				Dan Ts'o		212-570-7671
				Dept. Neurobiology	dan@rna.rockefeller.edu
				Rockefeller Univ.	...cmcl2!rna!dan
				1230 York Ave.		rna!dan@nyu.arpa
				NY, NY 10021		tso@rockefeller.arpa
							tso@rockvax.bitnet

fred@inteloa.intel.com (Fred Christiansen) (10/06/88)

I believe one answer would be Radix Microsystems PC hw/sw on VME boards.

----------
Fred Christiansen ("Canajun, eh?") | {ihnp4!verdix, sequent!ogcvax} \
BiiN Corp., Hillsboro, OR          | {uunet!tektronix, siemens}  - !inteloa!fred
"Children spell love T-I-M-E."     | {uoregon!omepd, ucbvax!mtxinu} /

jsnow@esunix.UUCP (John Snow) (10/07/88)

From article <363@babbage.acc.virginia.edu>, by mac3n@babbage.acc.virginia.edu (Alex Colvin):
> Is there a device available to link a PC bus to a VME bus?
> I have a PC that I'd like to make a peripheral on the VME bus.

A company called Bit 3 makes a Model 403 IBM PC/AT to VME adapter which is
fairly sophisticated.  It will allow the VME bus to use the AT as a
peripheral and visa-versa.

The board is available with either an 8 foot or 25 foot interconnecting
cable.

The cost of the link is $1280.00  --  not cheap, but what is these days?

Bit 3 is located in Minneapolis -- phone # (612) 881-6955.
John F. Snow                         UUCP: {ihnp4,decvax}!decwrl!esunix!jsnow
Evans & Sutherland Computer Corp.    Compuserve: 71550,1152    BIX: johnfsnow
Salt Lake City, Utah                 "Apple ][ forever!"