[comp.periphs] query: new disk drive for VAX

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (10/05/88)

[Note: this has very little to do with either Unix or archicture so I've
added comp.periphs to the Newsgroups list and directed followups there]

In article <4198@bsu-cs.UUCP> dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) writes:
> Given about $20,000 to $30,000 to spend on a disk drive [...] can I do
> better than buying an RA81 from DEC?

	Having had an RA-81 for 4 or 5 years, I can say with some assurance
that just about anything else would be better.  RA-81s are expensive, slow,
and unreliable.  What less could you want from a disk drive?  For $30k, you
should be able to buy a couple of Fuji SuperEagles and a good Emulex
controller, or any of several other high-quality drives from Fuji or NEC.
If you prefer to buy American, CDC has several good products.
--
Roy Smith, System Administrator
Public Health Research Institute

nessus@athena.mit.edu (Doug Alan) (10/06/88)

In article <3531@phri.UUCP> roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) writes:

> RA-81s are expensive, slow, and unreliable.  What less could you
> want from a disk drive?  For $30k, you should be able to buy a
> couple of Fuji SuperEagles and a good Emulex controller, or any of
> several other high-quality drives from Fuji or NEC.

Why spend big bux on SuperEagles when you can get 800 Meg, high speed
5.25-inch Winchesters these days for $3,300 each?

   (or nessus@athena
       nessus@mit-eddie.uucp)

seeger@beach.cis.ufl.edu (F. L. Charles Seeger III) (10/06/88)

In article <10199@eddie.MIT.EDU> nessus@athena.MIT.EDU (Doug Alan) writes:
|In article <3531@phri.UUCP> roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) writes:
|
|> RA-81s are expensive, slow, and unreliable.  What less could you
|> want from a disk drive?  For $30k, you should be able to buy a
|> couple of Fuji SuperEagles and a good Emulex controller, or any of
|> several other high-quality drives from Fuji or NEC.
|
|Why spend big bux on SuperEagles when you can get 800 Meg, high speed
|5.25-inch Winchesters these days for $3,300 each?

Performance, of course.  The new SMD drives and controllers offer
3.0 MBps interfaces (24 Mbps).  I belive that these 5.25" drives are
limited to about 10 Mbps.  This is important on modern fast machines,
but the VAX in question may be too old and slow to qualify.

Regards,
Chuck

In article <10199@eddie.MIT.EDU> nessus@athena.MIT.EDU (Doug Alan) writes:
>Why spend big bux on SuperEagles when you can get 800 Meg, high speed
>5.25-inch Winchesters these days for $3,300 each?

Reliability.

Actually, I would probably prefer to buy one of Fujitsu's newer (physically
smaller) disks, like the Swallow, rather than a Super Eagle.  But buying
disk drives on capacity and price alone is a serious mistake.
--
The meek can have the Earth;    |    Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
the rest of us have other plans.|uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

jbs@fenchurch.MIT.EDU (Jeff Siegal) (10/07/88)

In article <18529@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> seeger@beach.cis.ufl.edu (F. L. Charles Seeger III) writes:
>|Why spend big bux on SuperEagles when you can get 800 Meg, high speed
>|5.25-inch Winchesters these days for $3,300 each?
>Performance, of course.  The new SMD drives and controllers offer
>3.0 MBps interfaces (24 Mbps).  I belive that these 5.25" drives are
>limited to about 10 Mbps.

Not true.  Maxtor offers a version of its drive which supports
synchronous SCSI and claims 4MB/s transfers.  I do not believe it
costs much (any?) more than the slower (15 Mb/s, I believe) ESDI
version.

Jeff Siegal

nessus@athena.mit.edu (Doug Alan) (10/07/88)

>> [Doug Alan:] Why spend big bux on SuperEagles when you can get 800
>> Meg, high speed |5.25-inch Winchesters these days for $3,300 each?

> [Chuck Seeger:] Performance, of course.  The new SMD drives and
> controllers offer 3.0 MBps interfaces (24 Mbps).  I belive that
> these 5.25" drives are limited to about 10 Mbps.  This is important
> on modern fast machines, but the VAX in question may be too old and
> slow to qualify.

Well, I'm not sure of this "of course".  Our ESDI controllers (Sigma
SCD-RQD11-EC's) certainly provides 24 Mbps also.  The 5.25-inch disk
drives we use (Maxtor XT8760E's) only do 15 Mbps, but if we multiply the
number of sectors per track (52) by the number of rotations per second
(60) we find that the disk drive can only get data off the disk at
12.5 Mbps, so having a higher transfer rate would probably have no
effect.  Future ESDI drives that have more sectors per track, will
have higher transfer rates.

In order for an SMD disk to provide much better performance, it will
have to either spin much faster, have many more sectors per track, or
have a much smaller seek time (or a less emphatic combination of the
above).  In no way is SMD inately superior to ESDI.  (Except that SMD
allows much longer cable distances.)

On the other hand, the 5.25-inch drives are also available in SCSI
versions.  SCSI offers potentially higher performance and versatility
than either SMD or SCSI.  The only reason we didn't go with SCSI is
because we already have a base of ESDI here.

   (or nessus@athena.mit.edu
       nessus@mit-eddie.uucp)

m5@lynx.UUCP (Mike McNally) (10/07/88)

In article <10209@eddie.MIT.EDU> jbs@fenchurch.MIT.EDU (Jeff Siegal) writes:
>Not true.  Maxtor offers a version of its drive which supports
>synchronous SCSI and claims 4MB/s transfers.

One must be careful when looking at performance specifications
published by drive manufacturers.  Often, the performance analyses are
done by reading a megabyte or two in one command.  This is all well and
good, but doesn't say much about performance in a UNIX environment.
It's important to know how fast the drives execute SCSI commands.  We
tried some drives here (I can't remember which manufacturer) that
resonded to SCSI read requests so slowly that it lost a revloution on
each read!  We tried an 8-inch Fujitsu thing that was really slow, even
though it had very high performance claims.

In principle, I agree that SCSI can have very good performance.  It's
danged convenient, too.

One interesting thing about Maxtors: we have a 5.25 inch full-height
SCSI drive (170MB).  It only responds to the "test unit ready" command
when it's ready; otherwise, the command isn't acknowledged.  Think
about it.

--
Mike McNally                                    Lynx Real-Time Systems
uucp: {voder,athsys}!lynx!m5                    phone: 408 370 2233

            Where equal mind and contest equal, go.

kaufman@polya.Stanford.EDU (Marc T. Kaufman) (10/07/88)

In article <4559@lynx.UUCP> m5@lynx.UUCP (Mike McNally) writes:

>One interesting thing about Maxtors: we have a 5.25 inch full-height
>SCSI drive (170MB).  It only responds to the "test unit ready" command
>when it's ready; otherwise, the command isn't acknowledged.  Think
>about it.

From ANS X3.121-1986 (p.62):
  "The TEST UNIT READY command (table 7-2) provides a means to check if the
logical unit is ready.  This is not a request for a self test.  If the logical
unit would accept an appropriate medium-access command without returning
CHECK CONDITION status, this command shall return a GOOD status."

See -- it says nothing about what to do if the drive is not ready :-)
I expect that the correct response would be BUSY.

Marc Kaufman (kaufman@polya.stanford.edu)

In article <1988Oct6.181050.788@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>In article <10199@eddie.MIT.EDU> nessus@athena.MIT.EDU (Doug Alan) writes:
>>Why spend big bux on SuperEagles when you can get 800 Meg, high speed
>>5.25-inch Winchesters these days for $3,300 each?
>Reliability.

Our experience with the Maxtors has been very good.  While we've only
been using them for about 6 months, none have failed at all (we have
quite a few; I'm not sure of the exact number now).  Similarly with
5 1/4" ESDI Fujitsu drives (although not quite as cost effective as
Maxtors), which we have been using for over a year.

We do test them when they first arrive, and we have had some minor
problems (e.g. 1/1,000 reads would result in soft errors) which caused
us to return the drive for a replacement.

Of course, we do regular backups (onto Exabyte 8mm tape--also very
cost effective, and occasionally onto 1/2" GCR) and we have spare
drives to swap in the case of failure.  No maintenance cost, and since
the drives cost less than half as much as the "big clunkers," keeping
a spare or two is quite cost effective.

Jeff Siegal

phil@amdcad.AMD.COM (Phil Ngai) (10/08/88)

In article <10209@eddie.MIT.EDU> jbs@fenchurch.MIT.EDU (Jeff Siegal) writes:
>Not true.  Maxtor offers a version of its drive which supports
>synchronous SCSI and claims 4MB/s transfers.  I do not believe it
>costs much (any?) more than the slower (15 Mb/s, I believe) ESDI version.

Ah, but is that 4 MB/s throughput, or just the rate it runs on
the synchronous SCSI? It's like the difference between a computer
with a 10 Mbit/s Ethernet and 85 Kbit/s throughput. The reason I
ask is because 4 MB/s sounds like a generic synch SCSI figure.

--
"In the West, to waste water is not to consume it, to let it flow unimpeded
and undiverted down rivers. Use of water is, by definition, beneficial use."

jlohmeye@entec.Wichita.NCR.COM (John Lohmeyer) (10/09/88)

In article <4329@polya.Stanford.EDU> kaufman@polya.Stanford.EDU (Marc T. Kaufman) writes:
>In article <4559@lynx.UUCP> m5@lynx.UUCP (Mike McNally) writes:
>
>>One interesting thing about Maxtors: we have a 5.25 inch full-height
>>SCSI drive (170MB).  It only responds to the "test unit ready" command
>>when it's ready; otherwise, the command isn't acknowledged.  Think
>>about it.
>
>From ANS X3.121-1986 (p.62):
             ^^^
This should be "X3.131-1986".

>  "The TEST UNIT READY command (table 7-2) provides a means to check if the
>logical unit is ready.  This is not a request for a self test.  If the logical
>unit would accept an appropriate medium-access command without returning
>CHECK CONDITION status, this command shall return a GOOD status."
>
>See -- it says nothing about what to do if the drive is not ready :-)
>I expect that the correct response would be BUSY.

Actually, the correct response is CHECK CONDITION status with a sense key
of NOT READY.  There used to be a statement in the draft SCSI standard right
after the one about not being a self test that said, "A fast response is
expected."  This sentence was dropped because no one really wanted to define
"fast" and the sentence didn't mean much without such a definition.

I definitely agree with the sentiment that Maxtor blew it on this one -- it
certainly was not the SCSI committee's idea that a device not respond merely
because it wasn't ready. (I strongly suspect that Maxtor is retrieving
their controller microcode from the disk--thus they can't respond to SCSI
commands until the disk is ready. They should have put in a bit more in ROM.)

John Lohmeyer    j.lohmeyer@wichita.ncr.COM
.

markb@denali (10/11/88)

In article <10209@eddie.MIT.EDU>, jbs@fenchurch.MIT.EDU (Jeff Siegal) writes:
> In article <18529@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> seeger@beach.cis.ufl.edu (F. L. Charles Seeger III) writes:
> >|Why spend big bux on SuperEagles when you can get 800 Meg, high speed
> >|5.25-inch Winchesters these days for $3,300 each?
> >Performance, of course.  The new SMD drives and controllers offer
> >3.0 MBps interfaces (24 Mbps).  I belive that these 5.25" drives are
> >limited to about 10 Mbps.
>
> Not true.  Maxtor offers a version of its drive which supports
> synchronous SCSI and claims 4MB/s transfers.  I do not believe it
> costs much (any?) more than the slower (15 Mb/s, I believe) ESDI
> version.
>
> Jeff Siegal

Some clarification:

3 MB/s is data xfer rate from the media itself, and SMD can xfer at that
rate.  (actually SMDE)

4 MB/s claim by Maxtor and others is actually burst rate on SCSI, whether
sync or async.  xfer rate from the media itself is 10-15 MHz.

ESDI will blow the doors off SCSI if done correctly.  ESDI can go to
24 MHz, which compares nicely with SMDE.  Currently available drives
are at 15 Mhz.  ESDI bus times are measured in microseconds, while
SCSI can be looked at in milliseconds.

For performance today, use SMD of some flavor.  ESDI comes in 2nd, and
SCSI is a far 3rd.  ESDI will approach SMD within a year, and the 5.25"
drives are coming with SMD interfaces now, too.

					markb

In article <20391@sgi.SGI.COM> markb@denali writes:
>ESDI will blow the doors off SCSI if done correctly.  ESDI can go to
>24 MHz, which compares nicely with SMDE.  Currently available drives
>are at 15 Mhz.

Uh, say what?  SCSI transfer rate, at full bore, is 4 MB/s (note, not
Mb/s), which is 32 MHz.  Sounds comparable to me.  Of course, there are
a lot of cruddy SCSI controllers which can't hack that kind of speed,
but then, there are cruddy ESDI and SMDE controllers too.

>ESDI bus times are measured in microseconds, while
>SCSI can be looked at in milliseconds.

References, please.  I've seen both SCSI and ESDI specs, and somehow I
failed to notice any such disparity.  In the specs, not the current
(often lousy, for both) implementations.

Do remember that this is, to some extent, an apples-and-oranges comparison,
since SMDE and ESDI are drive-to-controller interfaces and SCSI is a
controller-to-host interface.  Since there *has* to be a controller
between a disk drive and a SCSI bus, the quality of the controller makes
a big difference.
--
The meek can have the Earth;    |    Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
the rest of us have other plans.|uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

friedl@vsi.COM (Stephen J. Friedl) (10/14/88)

[SCSI vs ESDI speed claims & flames deleted]

In article <1988Oct12.164433.17763@utzoo.uucp>, henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:

> Do remember that this is, to some extent, an apples-and-oranges comparison,
> since SMDE and ESDI are drive-to-controller interfaces and SCSI is a
> controller-to-host interface.  Since there *has* to be a controller
> between a disk drive and a SCSI bus, the quality of the controller makes
> a big difference.

Indeed; the AT&T 3B2/600 uses a SCSI host adaptor with an ESDI
disk controller module.

Isn't this a hardware equivalent of the C-vs-assembler debate?

     Steve

--
Steve Friedl    V-Systems, Inc.  +1 714 545 6442    3B2-kind-of-guy
friedl@vsi.com     {backbones}!vsi.com!friedl    attmail!vsi!friedl