[comp.periphs] Large-format color PostScript printers and/or plotters

Michael_J_Ward@cup.portal.com (10/19/88)

Now that we're seeing the first color printers with PostScript interpreters
built in, I've been asked to look into what kind of market there might be for
larger-format PostScript printers (like C-size through E-size). Without making
this too commercial, is there anyone out there who'd like to be able to
buy one? You have to assume the cost would be at least as great as the QMS
colorscript ($22K to $25K). Please send e-mail so as not to clutter up the
net:  michael_j_ward@cup.portal.com           --thanks!

In article <10164@cup.portal.com> Michael_J_Ward@cup.portal.com writes:
>Now that we're seeing the first color printers with PostScript interpreters
>built in, I've been asked to look into what kind of market there might be for
>larger-format PostScript printers (like C-size through E-size). Without making
>this too commercial, is there anyone out there who'd like to be able to
>buy one? You have to assume the cost would be at least as great as the QMS
>colorscript ($22K to $25K). Please send e-mail so as not to clutter up the
>net:  michael_j_ward@cup.portal.com           --thanks!

Versatec (a Xerox co.) makes printer/plotters that make LARGE colour
output, and have for years, so all you would be bringing to the
game would be PS.And someting as specialized as huge colour printouts
would probably not need the convenience of PS.

The cost would obviously far exceed the $25K for the QMS.

And then what do you do with it ? Colour printers are poor devices
for colour pre-press; they basically serve a vanity and or
peer presentation market.

Colour seps are still the way to go for commercial printing.

--
                           Point of light #999
richard@gryphon.CTS.COM    {backbone...err, well connected site}!gryphon!richard