[comp.periphs] Squeeky HP LaserJet series II

john@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) (11/01/88)

   Do any of the LJII owners out there have a problem with the machine
squeeking while its printing ?  Mine worked silently for about 2 days
and then started this confounded squeeking while printing. It appears to
be coming from the fuser assy but with the density of the mechanism its
hard to locate. It appears to squeek about 3-4 times per page like the
guilty shaft is rotating at that speed. I have heard of other LJII's doing
this so it may be a common problem. I sure hate to take a perfectly
functional printer to a repair center for a squeek but its absolutely
driving me crazy!  I mean laser's are supposed to be QUIET!!  :-)

					John

                                  "Oil can ho !!! "

--
John Gayman, WA3WBU              |           UUCP: uunet!wa3wbu!john
1869 Valley Rd.                  |           ARPA: john@wa3wbu.uu.net

ttp@beta.lanl.gov (T T Phillips) (11/02/88)

In article <658@wa3wbu.UUCP>, john@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) writes:

>    Do any of the LJII owners out there have a problem with the machine
> squeeking while its printing ?

I had a similar problem.  In my case it was caused by feeding plastic
transparencies through the printer without opening the door in the
back.  This practice resulted in too much stress on the paper drive
mechanism.  Surprisingly, the noise was coming from the toner
cartridge.  Replacing the cartridge eliminated the problem.

I don't know if you are having the same problem, but you might try
using a different cartridge.  Meanwhile, be very careful to open the
rear paper exit door whenever you print on heavy paper or transparancies.

jvte@euraiv1.UUCP (Jan van 't Ent) (11/03/88)

in article <658@wa3wbu.UUCP>, john@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) asks:
>    Do any of the LJII owners out there have a problem with the machine
> squeeking while its printing ?  Mine worked silently for about 2 days
> and then started this confounded squeeking while printing. It appears to

We have a number of HP-LaserJet printers and indeed I have heard some
of them squeeking.  The problem seemed to be the toner cartridge in all
of the cases: i.e. after replacing it with a new one the printer was
silenced too.  But after only 2 days seems a bit soon for that (as far
as I know all cartridges that squeeked showed some red in the display
for old types, or had printed at least some 3000 pages).

Jan van 't Ent, Erasmus Universiteit Rotterdam, Netherlands