[comp.periphs] 5 inch hard disk transport

lacasse@blaise.rand.org (Mark LaCasse) (11/07/88)

when moving a hard disk by car, is it best to carry it 'lying down'
or 'standing up'.  the former may cause the heads to chatter against
the platter at the landing zone.  the latter would encourage the
heads to swing off the landing zone, or as much as they can move.

if it matters, it is a 5.25 inch, 300 mb priam.

      Mark LaCasse                  qantel!hplabs!sdcrdcf!randvax!lacasse
      c/o The Rand Corporation       cbosgd!ihnp4!sdcrdcf!randvax!lacasse
      1700 Main Street                             decvax!randvax!lacasse
      Santa Monica, CA 90406
	213/393-0411  ext. 7420     lacasse@Rand-Unix

john@wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) (11/08/88)

In article <1777@randvax.UUCP>, lacasse@blaise.rand.org (Mark LaCasse) writes:
> when moving a hard disk by car, is it best to carry it 'lying down'
> or 'standing up'.  the former may cause the heads to chatter against
> the platter at the landing zone.  the latter would encourage the
> heads to swing off the landing zone, or as much as they can move.
> if it matters, it is a 5.25 inch, 300 mb priam.

    If you hav a choice, it is usually best to have them on edge. But given
that transportation by auto usually involves sitting the computer on the
seat or something, the chances for vibration that would result in head
chatter is slim. Also, it is best transported in its shipping carton if
you have a choice. I would assume that your 300MB Priam is of the voice-
coil positioning variety and if so is probably self-parking. This means
that at power off you may hear a slight "clunk" as the heads position them-
selves on the inner-most track and *lock* there. At power up a selenoid
is energized to release the heads and allow them to return to track zero
(or whereever else they want to go). For these types of drives your main
enemy would be head "bounce" which can be prevented by either having the
drives on their edge or if transported horizontal, use the original
packing.

					John

--
John Gayman, WA3WBU              |           UUCP: uunet!wa3wbu!john
1869 Valley Rd.                  |           ARPA: john@wa3wbu.uu.net