[comp.periphs] generic smd disks on sun

berger@clio.las.uiuc.edu (11/10/88)

We just lost a Fujitsu 2333 disk drive on our Sun 3/260 with
xylogics 450/451 controller.  I want to replace it with a newer,
larger capacity drive.  I can get a good price on the CDC Sabre
series drive (nominally 800 megabytes).  It's a standard SMD
drive, and it looks like it should fit in the pedestal in place
of the Fujitsu drive.  I think I can stretch the cables to the
connectors on the CDC drive.  I'll probably have to rig a
substitute power cable.

Has anybody had experience with this drive on a Sun, and can you
give me some hints on formatting it and getting it running?

			Mike Berger
			Department of Statistics, University of Illinois
			berger@clio.las.uiuc.edu
			{convex | pur-ee}!uiucuxc!clio!berger

rob@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (Rob Logan) (11/11/88)

From article <17700022@clio>, by berger@clio.las.uiuc.edu:
> larger capacity drive.  I can get a good price on the CDC Sabre
> series drive (nominally 800 megabytes).  It's a standard SMD
#
# @(#)format.dat 1.4 87/11/20 SMI
#
disk_type = "CDC 9720-850" \
	: ctlr = XY450 : fmt_time = 4 \
	: ncyl = 1378 : acyl = 3 : pcyl = 1381 : nhead = 15 : nsect = 67 \
	: rpm = 3600 : bps = 603  \
	: bpt = 40401 : drive_type = 1

you must have the drives you can turn off the runt sector for this.

			Rob

rob@sun.soe.clarkson.edu

childers@avsd.UUCP (Richard Childers) (11/16/88)

In article <17700022@clio> berger@clio.las.uiuc.edu writes:

>We just lost a Fujitsu 2333 disk drive on our Sun 3/260 with
>xylogics 450/451 controller.  I want to replace it with a newer,
>larger capacity drive.  I can get a good price on the CDC Sabre
>series drive (nominally 800 megabytes).  It's a standard SMD
>drive, and it looks like it should fit in the pedestal in place
>of the Fujitsu drive.  I think I can stretch the cables to the
>connectors on the CDC drive.  I'll probably have to rig a
>substitute power cable.

Sun uses both CDC and Fujitsu disks in their pedestals. So swapping
them, a priori, should not be a problem, as long as you have the
mounting hardware - a special bracket - that holds the disk to the
internal skeleton of the pedestal.

The 'diag' program should have a label already for a CDC, but if
not, you'll have to go the 'other' route and generate a lable by
hand. Don't worry about it until you have to. Reading disk drive
manuals is a great way to catch up on your sleep.

The one trick I ran into here was power cable, as you noted. Sun's
got a little PC board with a few resistors in it and such that does
the job. If you're on good terms with your FE, you might be able to
get one from her unofficially. Otherwise, you have to figure out
the differences between power leads for the two disks yourself and
make your own adapter. If you've got one to look at, it'd help you
a lot, you might want to look for other CDCs in your Sun farm.

>			Mike Berger
>			Department of Statistics, University of Illinois

-- richard

--
*    Tyger, tyger, burning bright,        ..{amdahl,decwrl,hoptoad,hplabs,    *
*    In the forest of the night ;            octopus,pyramid,ucbvax,vixie}    *