[comp.periphs] OCR & FORMATTING EQUIPMENT BARGAINS--FOR SALE

talmy@randvax.UUCP (Shel Talmy) (12/11/88)

FOR IMMEDIATE SALE:

1 Kurzweil 4000 intellegent optical scanner.  Includes scanner, optional
  tablet for column markup and optional automatic paper feeder with catch
  tray.  Terminal, keyboard, software and manual included.
  New: $51,000.  2 years old.  Buy at $16,000 obo.

1 Keyword 7000 disk translator for word processor to word processor
  conversions.	Software included for more than 60 formats.  Hooks up
  to any PC.  Internal board, software included.  New: $7700.  2 years
  old.	Buy at $3,500 obo.

1 Diskmaker I disk to disk format converter.  8", 5 1/4", and 3" formats
  supported.  Over 400 different formats available, including optional
  Unix-DOS-CP/M conversion software.  Includes CompuPro 816/a S-100
  computer host, disk subsystem, interface card and all sofware.
  New: $12,000.  2 years old.  Buy at $4,000 obo.

1 Dest 213A Turbo optical scanner.  Scans 16 different type styles plus
  proportional spacing.  New: 16,500.  2 years old. Buy at $5,000 obo.

Call for details to Norm Strassner at 213 661-5000 or Shel Talmy at
213 650-6008.

pete@octopus.UUCP (Pete Holzmann) (12/13/88)

In article <1831@randvax.UUCP> talmy@randvax.UUCP (Shel Talmy) writes:
>FOR IMMEDIATE SALE:
>
>1 Kurzweil 4000 intellegent optical scanner.  Includes scanner, optional
>  tablet for column markup and optional automatic paper feeder with catch
>  tray.  Terminal, keyboard, software and manual included.
>  New: $51,000.  2 years old.  Buy at $16,000 obo.

Sorry to burst a bubble, but this isn't worth nearly that much today.
Calera Recognition Systems has come out with a Kurzweil-beating system. For
a *LOT* less bucks. $2500 list for the 1-2min/page version, $3500 for one
that is twice as fast and recognizes landscape mode text. This does not
include the scanner, PC, or auto paper feeder. On the other hand, it
does more than even the latest $13000 Kurzweil scanner does:

	- auto column, table, figure recognition
	- auto recognition of all type 6-28 point, bold, italic, underlined.
	- *completely* formats text into the WP format of your choice,
		including columns, etc etc. Puts non-text stuff (whatever
		remains after recognition) into graphics file format of
		your choice.

    With this thing, you really can slap a sheet of paper onto your scanner,
    and have a completely formatted WP document a minute later. No correcting
    needed. IT WORKS.

    Doesn't include a scanner 'cuz they work with any popular scanner. Or
    with a graphics file. Or a fax file (fax->wp is a nice idea, for those
    who use fax!)

Pete
--
  OOO   __| ___      Peter Holzmann, Octopus Enterprises
 OOOOOOO___/ _______ USPS: 19611 La Mar Court, Cupertino, CA 95014