[comp.periphs] 2400 baud modems

mcvoy@uwvax.UUCP (02/02/87)

There seems to be some discussion about 2400 baud modems, so I'd like
to know who is buying what and how they like what they have.  In
particular I want to know:

The name brand:		(include the original, ie. Zipper ==> Prometheus)
The price:		(include shipping)
Purchased from:
Date bought:
Hayes compat:		(yes/no/partial)
Comments:		Any problems?

I'm in the market for a 2400 baud modem and I assume that others are as
well.  So, hit the 'R' key and fill out the above.  Please make sure
the subject line still has the word 'MODEM' in it.  I'll collect

Thanks.
--
Larry McVoy 	        mcvoy@rsch.wisc.edu,
      		        {seismo, topaz, harvard, ihnp4, etc}!uwvax!mcvoy

"They're coming soon!  Quad-stated guru-gates!"

bob@osu-eddie.UUCP (02/03/87)

In article <3186@rsch.WISC.EDU> mcvoy@rsch.WISC.EDU (Lawrence W. McVoy) writes:
>There seems to be some discussion about 2400 baud modems, so I'd like
>Please make sure the subject line still has the word 'MODEM' in it.

This discussion belongs in comp.dcom.modems, where it is already
progressing nicely, and a lot of the information you want has already
been generated.
--
 Bob Sutterfield, Department of Computer and Information Science
 The Ohio State University; 2036 Neil Ave. Columbus OH USA 43210-1277

mju@m-net.UUCP (Marc Unangst) (12/12/88)

I currently have a Ven-Tel 1200+ (I know...Stone Age) 1200 baud modem, and
am looking to move up to something faster.  I am looking at 2400 baud
modems, and would like to know if anyone out there in NetLand has had
any particularly good or bad experiences with any specific brand of
modem, or has any recommendations.  This modem must have a "full"
compliment of status lights (whatever that means), and MUST be external.
It should interface through a (semi-) standard RS-232 port, have an
internal speaker (preferably with volume control, but at least the
capibility to turn it off), and *MUST* be Hayes-compatable.

Note that this modem will be for personal use, so it doesn't have to be
built like a tank, or be able to be on-line 24 hours a day, 7 days
a week, 365 days a year.

Also:  Right now in the 9600-baud modem market, there are 4 "standards" -
The Ven-Tel Pathfinder 18K, the US Robotics 9600 Courier HST, the
Telebit Trailblazer (popular with Unix sites), and the Hayes V-Series
9600.  Is there any sort of evolving standard?  Would it be worth it
to skip 2400 and go straight to 9600 baud?  If so, which brand
seems to be "better", and at use at more sites?

Thanks, and please reply by E-mail (I will post a summary and/or interesting
letters to the net).

--
"Don't find a fault, | Marc Unangst
find a remedy."      | UUCP: mju@m-net.ann-arbor.mi.us

latzko@zydeco.rutgers.edu (Alexander Latzko) (12/13/88)

In article <2623@m2-net.UUCP> mju@m-net.UUCP (Marc Unangst) writes:

> Also:  Right now in the 9600-baud modem market, there are 4 "standards" -
> The Ven-Tel Pathfinder 18K, the US Robotics 9600 Courier HST, the
> Telebit Trailblazer (popular with Unix sites), and the Hayes V-Series
> 9600.  Is there any sort of evolving standard?
Actually, there are two real 9600 bps ( not baud ) standards and two
popular alternates.  The two real standards are V.29 which is 9600 bps
synchronous and requires a leased line for full duplex and V.32 which
is the real dialup/asynch/9600 standard.

The two alternates are PEP and V.29/asymetrical.  PEP is what the
Telebit and Ven-Tel (Ven-Tel licenses it from Telebit) and it is
really spiffy using multiple frequency bands to get through.  A
variation on PEP will probably become V.34 when it finally hits.
The HST uses a slow reverse channel along with a 9600 bps forward
channel.  I am not 100% sure but I believe the HST uses a variant of
V.29 for its fast channel.  It then turns around the channels when
need changes.  Really not a bad set up.

The Telebit has been embraced by Usenet and UNIX sites and the HST
seems to be the choice of MS-DOS/AMIGA/ST/MAC bboard operators.
The Hayes V-Series are somewhat bogus using V.32 in a half duplex
scheme.   Hayes has a real V.32 modem in the works but I haven't been
able to get a price for it yet.  It is supposed to be in the $1,595
range and only do V.32 which means it will be on the very high end of
the price range.

Look at the UDS V.32 for just V.32 and the Penril Alliance V.32 for
300/1200/2400(w/MNP)/V.32.    The last time I looked the UDS was
$1,195 and the Penril was $1595 list.

> "Don't find a fault, | Marc Unangst
> find a remedy."      | UUCP: mju@m-net.ann-arbor.mi.us
>   -Henry Ford        | UUCP path: ...!uunet!mailrus!clip!m-net!mju
> ---------------------+ Internet: mju%m-net%clip@umix.cc.umich.edu
/S*
latzko@rutgers.edu
{backbone}!rutgers!latzko