[comp.periphs] ST296 - How does Seagate Do it?

davis@clocs.cs.unc.edu (Mark Davis) (12/08/88)

The Seagate advertisement on page 36 of the December 5 Info world
claims that the ST296 is part of the ST251 hard disk drive family (6
heads, 820 cylinders, 1/2 height 5.25", stepper motor head
positioning).  Of course, the 296 has a SCSI interface, but some
encoding has to be used used between the on board SCSI and the disk
itself.

From other Seagate SCSI drives, it appeared that their SCSI drives
were just the MFM drive with the SCSI adapter.  However, for the 296,
they would have to be using some exotic encoding technique (like ARLL)
to get the almost 200% capacity increase.

So, how do they do it:

	(1) Really not a 251 family member; more heads/ more cylinders/
	    different positioning method.
	(2) ARLL or similar encoding techniques.
	(3) some other method.

Any facts or ideas?

Thanks - Mark (davis@cs.unc.edu or uunet!mcnc!davis)

davis@clocs.cs.unc.edu (Mark Davis) (12/14/88)

In article <5754@thorin.cs.unc.edu> davis@clocs.cs.unc.edu (Mark Davis) writes:
>The Seagate advertisement on page 36 of the December 5 Info world
>claims that the ST296 ...
> ...  However, for the 296,
>they would have to be using some exotic encoding technique (like ARLL)
>to get the almost 200% capacity increase.

>So, how do they do it[?]

From the Seagate Product description, the drive is in fact part of the
ST 251 family except they only make the 28ms average seek (higher speed)
version.  They get the 80 Megabyte capacity by
	(1) using RLL (regular 2,7 RLL).
	(2) using 34 sectors per track (instead of 26 for normal RLL
		and 17 for MFM).  I have heard of a couple of 34
		sector/track controllers, but they are not common.

Apparently having your own controller on the drive has its advantages.
Incidently, Seagate also has a 3.5 inch 80meg SCSI drive (ST1096) but
there they added a platter to the ST151 to get the extra capacity and
stuck with 26 sectors per track.

SCSI is neat in that it lets the drive manufacturer better match the
drive and the analog part of the controller.  Of course ESDI is neat,
too.

Thanks for listening - Mark (davis@cs.unc.edu or uunet!mcnc!davis)

alz@tc.fluke.COM (Al Weiss) (12/16/88)

Here are some of the specs for the 251 and 296.  These are from a Seagate rag
that they will probably send to anyone describing most all of their products.
It is Seagate Publication #1000 (I have Rev G, Aug 15, 88).  Try calling
800-468-DISC or 408-438-6550.  Personally though I am partial to Conner
Peripherals, 408-433-3340, who have 20, 40, 100, & 200 meg drives.

			ST251		  ST251N-1	    ST296N

Mb (formatted)		42.8		  43.2		    84.9
Sectors(512 byte)/Dr	83640		  84254		    165851
Sectors/Cyl		102		  135		    203
Bytes/cyl		52224		  52736		    103936
Sectors/track		17		  34		    34
bytes/track		8704		  13312		    17408