[comp.periphs] Laser printers - AST vs. NEC vs. ????

scott@boake2.UUCP (Scott Boake) (12/14/88)

We're getting ready to take the plunge and buy a laser printer.

The two that I'm looking at are the AST and NEC Postscript Lasers.

The perfect laser for us would have the following features:

	1. Postscript
	2. HP
	3. Parallel / Serial / Apple Talk
	4. Reliability / Built well

With all of the above features, I don't feel as though we'll ever feel
as though we've painted ourselves into a corner.

Any words of wisdom you have to share will be gladly accepted !

Thanks in advance....

----Scott

Scott Boake                                       Small Systems Consulting
scott@boake2                                      P.O. Box 2142
..!uunet!pdn!boake2!scott                         5030 - 78th Ave North Ste. 10
+1 (813) 544 - 8152                               Pinellas Park, FL 34664

rgh@mtund.ATT.COM (Ronald Hiller) (12/14/88)

In article <246@boake2.UUCP> scott@boake2.UUCP (Scott Boake) writes:
>The two that I'm looking at are the AST and NEC Postscript Lasers.
>The perfect laser for us would have the following features:
>
>	1. Postscript
>	2. HP
>	3. Parallel / Serial / Apple Talk
>	4. Reliability / Built well

We recently purchased 3 NEC LC890 printers.  They have all of the features
you describe and more.  One of them seemed a little cranky at first,
but seems happy now.  They are really nice printers and do a fabulous
job.

Ron

walker@ficc.uu.net (Walker Mangum) (12/17/88)

In article <246@boake2.UUCP> scott@boake2.UUCP (Scott Boake) writes:
> The two that I'm looking at are the AST and NEC Postscript Lasers.
> The perfect laser for us would have the following features:
>
> 	1. Postscript
> 	2. HP
> 	3. Parallel / Serial / Apple Talk
> 	4. Reliability / Built well

I've been using the NEC LC-890 for about a year now, and have had virtually
no complaints (a sheet of paper may have jammed in it once or twice, but out
of thousands of pages, so what?).

The 890 produces outstanding output.  We run it mostly in PostScript Batch
mode (output from WordPerfect & PageMaker), but have run it in HP LaserJet
mode, and occasionally in Diablo 630 mode.

My only minor complaint is that in Diable 630 (dump printer) mode, the print
begins at the left EDGE of the paper, and there is no way to make it offset.
We only use this mode for dumps, etc., but it is annoying because the printer
can't actually print within about 0.25" of the paper edges, so the first
character on each line is lost.  Oh well, I guess that's what Epsons are for.

The 890 is fast.  It falls off of 8 pages/minute only if you do a lot of font
changes during a document, or have a lot of graphics.

Basically, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it, and if we were in the market
for another printer, we'd buy another NEC LC-890.
Walker Mangum                                  |  Adytum, Incorporated
phone: (713) 333-1509                          |  1100 NASA Road One
UUCP:  uunet!ficc!walker  (walker@ficc.uu.net) |  Houston, TX  77058
Disclaimer: $#!+ HAPPENS

radek@pyrps5 (Radek Aster @ Pyramid Technology Corp., Mnt. View, CA) (12/19/88)

In article <246@boake2.UUCP> scott@boake2.UUCP (Scott Boake) writes:
> The two that I'm looking at are the AST and NEC Postscript Lasers.
> The perfect laser for us would have the following features:
>
> 	1. Postscript
> 	2. HP
> 	3. Parallel / Serial / Apple Talk
> 	4. Reliability / Built well

Not to throw a wrentch into the works, but have you tried out the QUME
CrystalPrint Publisher. Unlike all the other postscript printers on the
market, which are made by ADOBE and therefore the makers are required to
pay stiff royalties to ADOBE which are passed on to you, QUME's printer
is a *true* clone. Unlike most ADOBE boards, which are based one the 68000,
QUME's printer is based on a RISC processor from WEITEK, the 8200. In tests
it is shown to be about 5 times as fast as the LaserWRITER NT II when
printing graphics and about 10 times faster when printing text. It is FAST.

Responding to your criteria,
(1) It obviously does postcript,
(2) It does not support HPGL or the LaserJET protocol, but there is talk of
	enhancing it to support DIABLO 630.
(3) It was all three above mentioned interfaces : Parellel, Serial and Apple
	Talk.
(4) The engine is a 6 page/per minute engine from CASIO, which has recently
	entered the printer market. If you liked their calculators and keyboards,
	then I need not say more about the reliability and quality of their engines.

Also the QUME printer is the "smallest-footprint" printer on the market and
is therefore a trully "personal" postscript printer. Also it will probably
be cheaper than the other printers on the market because of no need to pay
royalties to ADOBE.

But why listen to me, either write or call QUME.

QUME CORP.
500 Yosemite Drive
Milpitas, CA 95035
(408) 942-4000

Radek ASTER.

In article <2474@ficc.uu.net>, walker@ficc.uu.net (Walker Mangum) writes:
> My only minor complaint is that in Diable 630 (dump printer) mode, the print
> begins at the left EDGE of the paper, and there is no way to make it offset.
> We only use this mode for dumps, etc., but it is annoying because the printer
> can't actually print within about 0.25" of the paper edges, so the first
> character on each line is lost.  Oh well, I guess that's what Epsons are for.

Have you tried changing the default margins in the SERVERDICT dictionary?
If you don't know how to do this, look in the "BLUE Book" which is one
of a two book set publishd by McCraw-Hill and written by ADOBE.

But basically, the idea is that you first get the printer into interactive
mode, by sending it the EXECUTIVE command.

It should respond with a prompt something like this.

Postcript (tm) version 23.0
Copyright (c) 1984 Adobe Systems Incorporated.

You then have to give it a password in order to change the margins.
----> serverdict begin {your password} exitserver

It will respond with
%%[exitserver:permanent state may be changed]%%

Finally you give the command to change the margins.
----> {top margin} {left margin} setmargins

Then 'log out' by typing
----> exit

Hope this helps.