[comp.periphs] A/UX generic SCSI driver and Syquest 44Mb removable drives

name@Portia.Stanford.EDU (tony cooper) (12/14/88)

Symantec Utilities for the Macintosh provide a generic SCSI driver to
access the physical blocks of a disk drive. This driver works fine
with the SyQuest 44Mb removable disk drive. It is possible to read and
write to the device using this driver.

But the generic SCSI driver that A/UX uses does not work with the Syquest.
It produces the error "More data than SCSI device requested" when trying
to read or write to the drive.

Does anyone know why this happens? What is different about the Syquest
that it does not work well with the A/UX driver. Many other drives work
fine with the A/UX driver.

Thanks,
Tony Cooper

name@portia.stanford.EDU

falken@caen.engin.umich.edu (David R Falkenburg) (12/15/88)

In article <4370@Portia.Stanford.EDU>, name@Portia.Stanford.EDU (tony cooper) writes:
> But the generic SCSI driver that A/UX uses does not work with the Syquest.
> It produces the error "More data than SCSI device requested" when trying
> to read or write to the drive.
>
> Thanks,
> Tony Cooper
>
> name@portia.stanford.EDU

You wouldn't happen to know what the formmated block size is set to
on that drive?  It sounds like the drive may be using 1024 byte blocks
(instead of the "normal" 512 byte variety)  This shouldn't cause a problem
under MacOS because the software driver could handle the data shuffling
easily, while A/UX WANTS a 512 byte/block device.

Most MacOS SCSI Drivers (i.e. one's whcih utilize the ROM SCSI driver)
usually ignore any extra data that might be associated with a transfer
durning teh data phase.

If you have SCSI Tool 1.1 from ArborWorks Software, you *could* issue
a MODE_SELECT command & issue a FORMAT_UNIT to try and hack it to
work.  If you can get 512 byte blocks, AU/X will probably work on it

-dave falkenburg

--
Dave Falkenburg @ University of Michigan Computer Aided Engineering Network
ARPA: falken@caen.engin.umich.edu    UUCP: umix!caen.engin.umich.edu!falken

michael@xanadu.COM (Michael McClary) (01/03/89)

In article <4370@Portia.Stanford.EDU>, name@Portia.Stanford.EDU (tony cooper) writes:
> But the generic SCSI driver that A/UX uses does not work with the Syquest.
> It produces the error "More data than SCSI device requested" when trying
> to read or write to the drive.
>
> Thanks,
> Tony Cooper
>
> name@portia.stanford.EDU

Are you hanging the Syquest and another drive on the SCSI bus at the
same time?

I saw that same error message under 1.0 when I mixed a Jasmine (300 MB Wren)
with a Quantum (80 MB 3-1/2").  (I'm not sure if the non-disclosure agreement
covers posting the symptoms under 1.1 Beta 3.)

Turned out the Quantum firmware (6.8 00) had a bug.  When disconnecting, it
neglected to tell the initiator to save pointers.  Come the reconnect, blooie!

Solution was to get new firmware from Quantum.  ((7.9 00) fixes that bug,
but poses another:  It runs a 20+ second self-test.  Mix it with a drive that
wakes up faster and the finder decides it isn't there.)

Suggestion for Apple:  Think seriously about having the SCSI driver save the
pointers even if the drive doesn't ask you to.  Sure, it means a little more
code, to support somebody else's bug.  But the bug doesn't manefest under
finder, so when it shows up under A/UX it looks like YOUR fault, not the
drive's.

-	-	-	-	-	-	-	-	-	-	-
michael@xanadu.com	(Haveta move my .signature one of these daze...)
-	-	-	-	-	-	-	-	-	-	-

elliston@rob.UUCP ( Keith Elliston) (01/03/89)

Hi

I need some info on AUX supplied from Apple.  We just purchased a IIx from
apple, supposedly ready to run AUX.  We got this from a local dealer.  He
now tells us that AUX must be purchased separately.  WOuld some kind soul
please fill me in on the specifics of getting AUX?

THanks much

Keith

uunet!rob!elliston

kaufman@polya.Stanford.EDU (Marc T. Kaufman) (01/04/89)

In article <eakdo#+=michael@xanadu.COM> michael@xanadu.UUCP (Michael McClary) writes:

>Suggestion for Apple:  Think seriously about having the SCSI driver save the
>pointers even if the drive doesn't ask you to.  Sure, it means a little more
>code, to support somebody else's bug.  But the bug doesn't manefest under
>finder, so when it shows up under A/UX it looks like YOUR fault, not the
>drive's.

Please don't.  There is a specific use for disconnect without saving pointers,
which is to allow restart of an operation after an error.  This is documented
(in the SCSI standard?  I forget... but I remember reading it).  If the device
is broken, fix it.  But please don't break every other device in order to
cover up one failing (shades of Excel!).

Marc Kaufman (kaufman@polya.stanford.edu)

buck@siswat.UUCP (A. Lester Buck) (01/04/89)

In article <eakdo#+=michael@xanadu.COM>, michael@xanadu.COM (Michael McClary) writes:
> Turned out the Quantum firmware (6.8 00) had a bug.  When disconnecting, it
> neglected to tell the initiator to save pointers. Come the reconnect, blooie!
> Solution was to get new firmware from Quantum.  ((7.9 00) fixes that bug,
>
> Suggestion for Apple:  Think seriously about having the SCSI driver save the
> pointers even if the drive doesn't ask you to.  Sure, it means a little more
> code, to support somebody else's bug.  But the bug doesn't manefest under
> finder, so when it shows up under A/UX it looks like YOUR fault, not the
> drive's.

Sure, and break all those drives that *do* conform to the SCSI-1 standard!

The updating of the SCSI pointers is a tricky business, and the target
controls everything in a SCSI transfer.  Just for example, what if
the target detects and recovers from an error, and needs to resend some
data - it disconnects and reconnects WITHOUT saving the pointers.
In SCSI, the action of saving pointers means at least that much
data is, in the target's opinion, error free.

Just because some clowns at Quantum didn't simultaneously
test run two of their drives on a single bus (by rev 6 of their
firmware, yet!), don't ask Apple to destroy their own systems.

--
A. Lester Buck		...!uhnix1!moray!siswat!buck

jlohmeye@entec.Wichita.NCR.COM (John Lohmeyer) (01/05/89)

In article <368@siswat.UUCP> buck@siswat.UUCP (A. Lester Buck) writes:
>In SCSI, the action of saving pointers means at least that much
>data is, in the target's opinion, error free.

Lester, actually saving the pointers means that the target probably doesn't
intend to re-transmit the data up to that point.  But it could if both the
Host Adapter and the Target have implemented the MODIFY DATA POINTER message.
In any case, the host really doesn't know that the data is "error free" until
it receives GOOD status.  A target may transmit erroneous data and THEN tell
the host that the data is bad.

Some people have implemented host designs that assume all data sent prior to
a SAVE DATA POINTER message is "good" data -- they will probably get burned
some day...

John Lohmeyer      J.Lohmeyer@Wichita.NCR.COM

ts@cup.portal.com (Tim W Smith) (01/06/89)

It's not nice for a driver to save pointers if the drive hasn't
told it to.  Consider a high performance drive that transfers
data directly from the disk to the SCSI bus.  In most cases,
this will not cause any problems.  However, suppose an error
occurs that the ECC fails to correct.  The drive will have to
try to re-read the data off the disk.  This could take a while,
so the drive might disconnect, then reconnect when it has
finished re-reading the data.  Since it has not issued a
SAVE DATA POINTERS, it expects the data it sends to overwrite
the bad data it previously sent.

If the driver assumed that the drive just "forgot" to issue
a SAVE DATA POINTERS command, this won't work.

I don't know if anyone has tried this trick of sending bad
data and then overwriting it with a disk drive, but I believe
that there are tape drives that do this.

					Tim Smith