[comp.periphs] Worm Drives

amdehon@athena.mit.edu ( Andre De Hon) (06/25/87)

	I'm looking for a WORM drive for either an IBM System/38
or a PC.  Could anyone with experience with (a) WORM drive(s)
offer suggestions/reccomendations.

	Thanks.

ems@apple.UUCP (Mike Smith) (06/29/87)

In article <1000@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU>, amdehon@athena.mit.edu (   Andre  De Hon) writes:

> 	I'm looking for a WORM drive for either an IBM System/38
> or a PC.  Could anyone with experience with (a) WORM drive(s)
> offer suggestions/reccomendations.

I, too, am looking for info on WORM (write once read many) optical drives.

I have a desire to do backups onto them.  Anyone know of WORMs that work
with VAX 11/780's and ULTRIX?

More thanks...
--

E. Michael Smith  ...!sun!apple!ems

'If you can dream it, you can do it'  Walt Disney

This is the obligatory disclaimer of everything. (Including but
not limited to: typos, spelling, diction, logic, and nuclear war)

zemon@felix.UUCP (Art Zemon) (07/01/87)

In article <1211@apple.UUCP> ems@apple.UUCP (Mike Smith) writes:

>I have a desire to do backups onto them.  Anyone know of WORMs that work
>with VAX 11/780's and ULTRIX?

Emulex sells one with a Unibus controller.  I saw it at the
January Uniforum in their booth.  I know they had a VMS
driver but don't know if they ever wrote a Unix/Ultrix
driver.
--
	-- Art Zemon
	   FileNet Corporation

dlc@beta.UUCP (Dale Carstensen) (07/07/87)

For a PC, note that the most significant part of IBM's April PS/2-OS/2
announcements (ignored, almost, by the computer press -- totally ignored
by financial and popular press) was the WORM drive.  Especially the GSA
price.  But I don't recall anything about a delivery date.  The retail
price approaches $3000, but the GSA price is at least 30% less, just in
case you are wondering.

tbg@apollo.uucp (Tom Gross) (07/08/87)

    I would be curious to know what applications people are
    contemplating for WORM drives.  Especially on GSA contracts.
    I think my old man would have access to this technology
    for an SBIR government contract, but we need a problem for
    this wonderous solution.  I guess what I want to know is,
    are people thinking of perhaps using WORM drives to collect
    data from the field, or just a way of distributing the
    Encyclopedia Britannica?

/tom

chapman@eris.UUCP (07/09/87)

In article <35f03059.d5c4@apollo.uucp> tbg@apollo.uucp (Tom Gross) writes:

]I would be curious to know what applications people are contemplating
]for WORM drives.  Especially on GSA contracts.  I think my old man would
]have access to this technology for an SBIR government contract, but we
]need a problem for this wonderous solution.  I guess what I want to know
]is, are people thinking of perhaps using WORM drives to collect data
]from the field, or just a way of distributing the Encyclopedia
]Britannica?
]
]/tom

I find the thought of having to change backup media only once per week
strangely appealing...  :-)

Seriously, as part of our business, my company collects massive amounts
of financial data (exchange rates, option prices, interest rates, etc.).
For our purposes, the most recent data is the most important (for example,
for a certain "series", we might have the values at five minute intervals
for the last three days, at 1 hour intervals for values from 3 to 15 days
old, and at 4 hour intervals for all values greater than 15 days old).
Periodically, we go through and "prune" the data (given the above instance,
when data is three days old, we average 12 values taken five minutes apart
into a single "hourly" figure).  We'd like to save the raw data before
we prune, however, and have it available for later use.  Currently, there's
no really feasible way to do that.  WORM drives, however, have a wonderful
potential for us.

Does anyone know of WORM drives for Suns?

-Brent
--
Brent Chapman

chapman@mica.berkeley.edu	or	ucbvax!mica!chapman

michael@orcisi.UUCP (07/09/87)

> For a PC, note that the most significant part of IBM's April PS/2-OS/2
> announcements (ignored, almost, by the computer press -- totally ignored
> by financial and popular press) was the WORM drive.

Note that the drive (and media) has lower data storage capacity than
many of the competing 5-1/4" drives (200MB vs. 400MB per side) and only
single-sided media has been announced so far (I may be wrong on this
second point).

The priciing of the drive itself is just slightly higher than the
competition (based on quantity 1).

Question: Does the drive have a SCSI interface? ... and is it a fairly
			conventional implementation?

Michael Herman
Optical Recording Corporation
141 John Street, Toronto, Ontario, Canada  M5V 2E4

UUCP:  { cbosgd!utcs ihnp4!utzoo seismo!mnetor }!syntron!orcisi!michael
ALSO:  mwherman@watcgl.waterloo.edu

blair@ncrwic.Wichita.NCR.COM (Brian Lair) (07/10/87)

In article <35f03059.d5c4@apollo.uucp> tbg@apollo.uucp (Tom Gross) writes:

>    [...]  I guess what I want to know is,
>    are people thinking of perhaps using WORM drives to collect
>    data from the field, or just a way of distributing the
>    Encyclopedia Britannica?

A minor point: Distribution of large publications like encyclopedia
is most cost-effective using using CD-ROM, not WORM.

Brian R. Lair  NCR Corporation, E&M Wichita, Product Technology Development
               <brian.lair@Wichita.NCR.COM>
               <{ece-csc,hubcap,gould,rtech}!ncrcae!ncrwic!brian.lair>

ems@apple.UUCP (Mike Smith) (07/15/87)

In article <35f03059.d5c4@apollo.uucp>, tbg@apollo.uucp (Tom Gross) writes:

>     I would be curious to know what applications people are
>     contemplating for WORM drives.

We would like to use them for backups.  We have a present need to do backups
on about 16 Gigabytes of disk.  This is expected to grow rapidly in the
future.  Storing all those nine track tapes is a real pain.
--

E. Michael Smith  ...!sun!apple!ems

'If you can dream it, you can do it'  Walt Disney

This is the obligatory disclaimer of everything. (Including but
not limited to: typos, spelling, diction, logic, and nuclear war)

tyler@stpl.UUCP (Tyler IVANCO) (01/19/89)

	We are actively searching for a number of WORM drives to be used
primarily as archival devices.  We are not necessarily interested in placing
file systems on these units.  So we have the following questions re: 5.25"
drives:

1) Standards:  Is there one or a clear leader?
2) Manufacturer: Who constructs a stable and reliable unit particularly
   for field work (i.e. portable)?
3) The devices will be operated on a Sequent Symmetry, Apollo 3500, and
   Custom built 030 based OS/9.  Do device drivers exist for these drives?
   (Sequential read/write use)

					Thanks,
Tyler Ivanco				tyler@stpl.UUCP
					fs300022@yusol.bitnet