[comp.periphs] Maxtor vs Storage Dimensions vs Newbury

davis@clocs.cs.unc.edu (Mark Davis) (02/01/89)

Can somebody explain to me the relationship between Maxtor (maker of
high capacity 5.25" drives) and Newbury (drives with the same model
numbers and capacity) and Storage Dimensions (a Maxtor Company)?

I know this is a management type question, but when I buy or spec a
drive and the customer says, "But why didn't you get the Newbury 1140
instead of the Maxtor 1140?" it would be nice to have an intellegent
answer.

Answers and flames by mail to davis@cs.unc.edu or uunet!mcnc!davis.  I
will post an answer to this newsgroup if any single other person out
there in the world cares enough about this subject to send me mail.

Thanks for you time - Mark (davis@cs.unc.edu or uunet!mcnc!davis)

markb@denali.SGI.COM (Mark Bradley) (02/02/89)

In article <6449@thorin.cs.unc.edu>, davis@clocs.cs.unc.edu (Mark Davis) writes:
> Can somebody explain to me the relationship between Maxtor (maker of
> high capacity 5.25" drives) and Newbury (drives with the same model
> numbers and capacity) and Storage Dimensions (a Maxtor Company)?
> Thanks for you time - Mark (davis@cs.unc.edu or uunet!mcnc!davis)

Newbury is licensed to make Maxtor look-alikes.

Storage Dimensions is a wholly owned subsidiary of Maxtor responsible for
doing value added subsystems  for PC type products.

					markb

--
Mark Bradley				"Faster, faster, until the thrill of
IO Subsystems				 speed overcomes the fear of death."