[comp.periphs] Maxtor XT-4380E Access Time?

samc@hpccc.HP.COM (Samuel Chau) (02/09/89)

Does anyone know whether the average access time of a Maxtor XT-4380E EDSI
drive is 28ms or 16ms?  I have heard both numbers advertised.

I plan to purchase one such unit and use it with a Western Digital WD-1007-WA2
ESDI controller in my 386 box.  I'd like to know if anyone has had experience
working with either the XT-4380E or the WD-1007-WA2.

Many thanks!

Sam Chau
HP Cupertino
samc@hpda
(408) 447-0238

#include <std_disclaimer.h>

markb@denali.SGI.COM (Mark Bradley) (02/10/89)

In article <5740001@hpccc.HP.COM>, samc@hpccc.HP.COM (Samuel Chau) writes:
> Does anyone know whether the average access time of a Maxtor XT-4380E EDSI
> drive is 28ms or 16ms?  I have heard both numbers advertised.
> HP Cupertino
> samc@hpda
> (408) 447-0238
>
> #include <std_disclaimer.h>

It's advertised at 27 mS avg.

					markb

--
Mark Bradley				"Faster, faster, until the thrill of
IO Subsystems				 speed overcomes the fear of death."

apn@Apple.COM (Alex Novickis) (02/10/89)

In article <26513@sgi.SGI.COM> markb@denali.SGI.COM (Mark Bradley) writes:
>In article <5740001@hpccc.HP.COM>, samc@hpccc.HP.COM (Samuel Chau) writes:
>> Does anyone know whether the average access time of a Maxtor XT-4380E EDSI
>> drive is 28ms or 16ms?  I have heard both numbers advertised.
>> HP Cupertino
>> samc@hpda
>> (408) 447-0238
>>
>> #include <std_disclaimer.h>
>

>It's advertised at 27 mS avg.
>
>					markb
>
>--
>Mark Bradley				"Faster, faster, until the thrill of
>IO Subsystems				 speed overcomes the fear of death."
>Silicon Graphics Computer Systems
>Mountain View, CA			     ---Hunter S. Thompson

there are at least two versions that *I* have seen
the "E" and the "EX" ... I forget which is what at the moment, but one is
significantly faster than the other!
why not give maxtor a call ..... they are almost local to you!
By the way, what's a good price for these drives ? I may have a few that I wish
to sell, so let me know.

Alex P . Novickis

Alex P. Novickis, Real Time systems demi-guru.  (W)   408-370-4541
ALINK:alex.n                                    (PAGE)    289-6678
UUCP: {afsg,amdahl,claris,voder,rutgers,amdcad,ames} apn@apple.com, apn@nonvon
"I think... I think it's in my basement. Let me go upstairs and check"-Escher.

wyatt@cfa.harvard.EDU (Bill Wyatt) (02/11/89)

In article <26513@sgi.SGI.COM>, markb@denali.SGI.COM (Mark Bradley) writes:
> In article <5740001@hpccc.HP.COM>, samc@hpccc.HP.COM (Samuel Chau) writes:
> > Does anyone know whether the average access time of a Maxtor XT-4380E EDSI
> > drive is 28ms or 16ms?  I have heard both numbers advertised.
>
> It's advertised at 27 mS avg.

Nope.

EXT-4380 = 27 ms average seek time
XT-4380E = 18 "    "      "    " (I have early docs, maybe it's 16 now)
XT-8380E = 16 "    "      "    "
XT-8760E = 18 "    "      "    "

The 4000 series are 10 Mbit drives, the 8000 are 15 Mbit drives.
--

Bill Wyatt, Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory

UUCP:  {husc6,cmcl2,mit-eddie}!harvard!cfa!wyatt
ARPA:  wyatt@cfa.harvard.edu
 (or)  wyatt%cfa@harvard.harvard.edu
SPAN:  cfairt::wyatt
BITNET: wyatt@cfa2

jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) (02/13/89)

In article <5740001@hpccc.HP.COM> samc@hpccc.HP.COM (Samuel Chau) writes:
>Does anyone know whether the average access time of a Maxtor XT-4380E EDSI
>drive is 28ms or 16ms?  I have heard both numbers advertised.

	The Maxtor XT-4380E is 16 ms.
	The Maxtor EXT-4380E is 28 ms.

	There is a difference of between $800 and $1000 between the two of
them.

--
Jonathan Bayer			      Beware: The light at the end of the
Intelligent Software Products, Inc.	      tunnel may be an oncoming dragon