[comp.periphs] SCSI programming info needed

marty@wuphys.UUCP (Marty Olevitch) (02/03/89)

Does anyone know of any good books or articles that explain how to program a
SCSI interface?  I have to write some software to control an Exabyte
EXB-8200 8mm tape drive with a Rancho Technologies RT10-XT SCSI adapter on a
PC. Unfortunately, I can't use the rom bios calls that they supply because
this application will be running without DOS (it is a balloon-borne cosmic
ray data acquisition program stored in rom with no disk, terminal, or
keyboard), so I will have to program the SCSI myself. The documentation that
I already have is hard to understand, which is the reason for my request.

Please reply by e-mail. If anyone else is interested, I can summarize for
the net or send individual replies. Thanks very much.

Marty Olevitch				Internet: marty@wuphys.wustl.edu
Washington University			UUCP:     uunet!wucs1!wuphys!marty
Physics Department, Campus Box 1105	Bitnet:   marty@wuphys.WUSTL
St Louis MO 63130 USA			Tel:      (314) 889-6285

jeff@wdl1.UUCP (Jonathan J Jefferies) (02/11/89)

> / wdl1:comp.periphs / marty@wuphys.UUCP (Marty Olevitch) /  9:02 am  Feb  2, 1989 /
> Does anyone know of any good books or articles that explain how to program a
> SCSI interface?  I have to write some software to control an Exabyte

Suggest you locate a copy of  ADES' "SCSI Buyer's Guide", originally
published Nov 1982.  At that time their address was::
Adaptive Data & Energy Systems, 2627 Pomona Blvd., Pomona, Calif. 91766.
I have been told that their name may have changed. I don't know if it
will help but the book has a telephone number of (714) 594-5858 for them.

jlohmeye@entec.Wichita.NCR.COM (John Lohmeyer) (02/22/89)

In article <3910009@wdl1.UUCP> jeff@wdl1.UUCP (Jonathan J Jefferies) writes:
>> / wdl1:comp.periphs / marty@wuphys.UUCP (Marty Olevitch) /  9:02 am  Feb  2, 1989 /
>> Does anyone know of any good books or articles that explain how to program a
>> SCSI interface?  I have to write some software to control an Exabyte
>
>Suggest you locate a copy of  ADES' "SCSI Buyer's Guide", originally
>published Nov 1982.  At that time their address was::

[stuff deleted]

ADSI was bought by Western Digital several years ago.  I am told you can
still get the ADSI book from John KInsler at WD (714) 474-2033. There is
a new book on SCSI from NCR available for $10-15.  Call 800-325-SCSI. The
book is called "What is SCSI?"{

Hope this helps...

John Lohmeyer