[comp.periphs] Flat screen LCD "Monitors"

larry@focsys.UUCP (Larry Williamson) (02/17/89)

You know those cute little flat screen displays that are built into the
lap top computers? Are there any "monitors" available on the market that
are built from these? Ideally, they would either plug into an existing
IBM-PC's monochrome display adapter or have some special interface that
would look like a monchrome adapter

Are they available?
Where can we buy these?
How much?

Thanks,
    Larry

--
Larry Williamson  -- Focus Systems -- Waterloo, Ontario
                  watmath!focsys!larry  (519) 746-4918

mlawless@ncrwic.Wichita.NCR.COM (Mike Lawless) (02/17/89)

In article <369@focsys.UUCP> larry@focsys.UUCP (Larry Williamson) writes:
>You know those cute little flat screen displays that are built into the
>lap top computers? Are there any "monitors" available on the market that
>are built from these? Ideally, they would either plug into an existing
>IBM-PC's monochrome display adapter or have some special interface that
>would look like a monchrome adapter

I don't know about a monitor in the sense of something that sits on a desk
for one person to look at, but there is an LCD device, which interfaces to
a standard CGA adapter (I think; might be Hercules, but I am not sure), and
can be placed on a standard overhead projector in order to project a live
PC display on a large screen (which is a lot cheaper that using a projection
TV as a monitor, which I have also seen, which does allow full color
projection).  As a monitor replacement, I don't think they are very desirable,
because power consumption is not a concern, viewing angle is limited, and
they respond to input change rather sluggishly.  Also, of course, they are
strictly monochrome.
--
Mike Lawless, NCR E&M Wichita, Box 20     (316) 636-8666   (NCR: 654-8666)
3718 N. Rock Road, Wichita, KS  67226     Mike.Lawless@Wichita.NCR.COM

jb@aablue.UUCP (John B Scalia) (02/18/89)

In article <4789@ncrwic.Wichita.NCR.COM>, mlawless@ncrwic.Wichita.NCR.COM (Mike Lawless) writes:
> In article <369@focsys.UUCP> larry@focsys.UUCP (Larry Williamson) writes:
> >You know those cute little flat screen displays that are built into the
> >lap top computers? Are there any "monitors" available on the market that
> >are built from these? Ideally, they would either plug into an existing
> >IBM-PC's monochrome display adapter or have some special interface that
> >would look like a monchrome adapter
>
> I don't know about a monitor in the sense of something that sits on a desk
> for one person to look at, but there is an LCD device, which interfaces to
> a standard CGA adapter (I think; might be Hercules, but I am not sure), and
> can be placed on a standard overhead projector in order to project a live

I was going to post this earlier, but it took me a little while to find the
spec sheet. And as this is the second time I've heard this request, I'm
posting it to the net (sorry about the bandwidth).

Dukane Corp. (2900 Dukane Drive, St. Charles, IL 60174, 1-800-356-6540) has
3 versions of what you've requested. These are LCD devices which require some
form of backlighting; ie. overhead projection. They are as follows:

	MagniView 200:	Apple II, II+, IIc, IIe, IIgs, and IBM CGA compat.
			Resolution of 640 x 200

	MagniView 400:	IBM CGA or EGA, ATT 6300, 7300, and Olivetti M24
			Resolution 640 x 400

	MagniView 342:	Macintosh 128, Mac+, Mac 512, and Mac SE
			Resolution 512 x 342

Unfortunately the spiffy product brochure I got from Dukane (Unsolicited)
just mentions that these are under $1000 each, and special cables may be
required. they also mention various power transformers for international
use.

--
A A Blueprint Co., Inc. - Akron, Ohio +1 216 794-8803 voice
UUCP:	   {uunet!}aablue!jb	Marriage is a wonderful institution, but who

larry@focsys.UUCP (Larry Williamson) (02/22/89)

In article <454@aablue.UUCP> jb@aablue.UUCP (John B Scalia) writes:
>In article <4789@ncrwic.Wichita.NCR.COM>, mlawless@ncrwic.Wichita.NCR.COM (Mike Lawless) writes:
>> In article <369@focsys.UUCP> I wrote:
>> >You know those cute little flat screen displays that are built into the
>> >lap top computers? Are there any "monitors" available on the market that
>> > [...]
>>
>> [..] there is an LCD device, which interfaces to
>> a standard CGA adapter [...] and
>> can be placed on a standard overhead projector [...]
>
>Dukane Corp. (2900 Dukane Drive, St. Charles, IL 60174, 1-800-356-6540) has
>3 versions of what you've requested. These are LCD devices which require some
>form of backlighting; ie. overhead projection.

Thanks for the input.

Unfortunately, our needs do not permit lugging an overhead around
with the terminal.  I've gotten more input from the fellow that
needs this.  He is after, in essence, a portable terminal.
Something small, light, easy to carry.  Something that can be
plugged into any one of a few dozen computers scattered around a
facility.  Each computer has no keyboard or display, it is just a
standalone controller.  He needs to be able to walk up to the
machine, plug in this "terminal" and enter a few diagnostic
commands, then move on to the next machine.

A laptop computer seems like an obvious solution.  Except, since
this "terminal" needs no smarts, it seems a waste to buy all that
power with no need for it.

Larry
--

mjb@xpiinc.UU.NET (Michael J. Braca) (02/24/89)

In article <372@focsys.UUCP> larry@focsys.UUCP (Larry Williamson) writes:

>A laptop computer seems like an obvious solution.  Except, since
>this "terminal" needs no smarts, it seems a waste to buy all that
>power with no need for it.

Sounds like you want the Colleague(tm) Laptop VT220
terminal!  According to the ad in DEC Professional, it has a
80x25 Supertwist LCD display and weighs a mere 7.5 lbs.  It
can be yours for only $995.  Call RANDOM(tm) Corp. @
1-800-553-6773 or 513-825-0880 (they're in Cincinnati).

						_Mike

johnl@ima.ima.isc.com (John R. Levine) (02/26/89)

In article <199@xpiinc.UU.NET> mjb@xpiinc.uu.net (Michael J. Braca) writes:
>>A laptop computer seems like an obvious solution.  Except, since
>>this "terminal" needs no smarts, it seems a waste to buy all that
>>power with no need for it.
>Sounds like you want the Colleague(tm) Laptop VT220 terminal! ...
>It can be yours for only $995.

Considering that you can get a perfectly good T1000 laptop for $700, it
seems pretty silly to pay an extra $300 not to get the extra smarts, unless
you also get a modem.  Then again, you can get a pocket modem for considerably
less than $300, so the computer is probably still the way to go.  Besides,
a computer emulating a terminal is better than a terminal.  You can log
your terminal sessions.  You can have it run canned scripts.

--
John R. Levine, Segue Software, POB 349, Cambridge MA 02238, +1 617 492 3869
{ bbn | spdcc | decvax | harvard | yale }!ima!johnl, Levine@YALE.something

air@anableps.berkeley.edu (02/27/89)

>>A laptop computer seems like an obvious solution.  Except, since
>>this "terminal" needs no smarts, it seems a waste to buy all that
>>power with no need for it.

>Sounds like you want the Colleague(tm) Laptop VT220
>terminal!  According to the ad in DEC Professional, it has a
>80x25 Supertwist LCD display and weighs a mere 7.5 lbs.  It
>can be yours for only $995.  Call RANDOM(tm) Corp. @
>1-800-553-6773 or 513-825-0880 (they're in Cincinnati).
>
>						_Mike
A laptop pc can be had for the same or less
$995 for the amstard with 640k and a norton si of 4
with serial port parrallel port and 2400 baud modem
free carrying case, manuals and terminal software

if weight is the main consideration( amstrad is 11.5 lbs.) then
i recomend the toshiba 1000 at 6.4 lbs makes more sense though
1/4 the power it is smaller and lighter and about the same cost ie $995

buy these from net people "People's Technology (503) 344-7969"
if you do ask for free goodies with the deal and you shall receive:
Free communications software, free serial cable, free carrying case.
ask for Arthur Ernest Wright.

ttyl good luck
air