[comp.periphs] Overhead Projectors

km@mathcs.emory.edu (Ken Mandelberg) (02/21/89)

We are looking for an overhead projector to use with
an LCD display. The few spec sheets I've seen are all
for 3M models that seem very similar, yet I would think
that there should be:

  * some variation in optics. Are there models that could be
  positioned closer to the screen?

  * some variation in brightness. Are there projector/screen
  combinations that perform better where brightness is
  critical?

  * some variation in light path. Are there models that would
  work with a permanent wall or ceiling mount? When used with
  an LCD the display surface does not have to be accessible
  to the speaker.

Any A/V experts out there?
--
Ken Mandelberg      | km@mathcs.emory.edu          PREFERRED
Emory University    | {decvax,gatech}!emory!km     UUCP

soley@ontenv.UUCP (Norman S. Soley) (02/22/89)

In article <3733@emory.mathcs.emory.edu>, km@mathcs.emory.edu (Ken Mandelberg) writes:
> We are looking for an overhead projector to use with
> an LCD display. The few spec sheets I've seen are all
> for 3M models that seem very similar, yet I would think
> that there should be:
>
>   * some variation in brightness. Are there projector/screen
>   combinations that perform better where brightness is
>   critical?

I've used one of these units and experience shows it's best to avoid
reflective screens for this application, a "dull" white screen is
best, I use a big piece of foamcore or just white paper "tablecloths"

>   * some variation in light path. Are there models that would
>   work with a permanent wall or ceiling mount? When used with
>   an LCD the display surface does not have to be accessible
>   to the speaker.

No but in some of the units there's a fairly small spot that has to be
hit with the remote control unit (not just for special effects but
also for adjusting focus and contrast), be careful to keep that spot
within "shooting distance" of the speaker.

--
Norman Soley - Data Communications Analyst - Ontario Ministry of the Environment
UUCP:	uunet!mnetor!ontmoh!ontenv!soley	| Contents of this message are

jhenry@randvax.UUCP (Jim Henry) (03/04/89)

Overhead projectors do come with different focal length lenses which
affects how big the image is at a given distance from the screen.  If you
know how far the projector will be from the screen and how big the screen
will be then you can figure what focal length lens you need.  You'll
probably have to do some compromising here, there are limited choices of
lenses and overhead projectors usually find themselves in varying
projection setups.

Brightness is affected by the lamp wattage, lamp type, and projector optics
among other things.  Usually quartz lamps are the brightest.  More watts
for the same kind of bulb will be brighter.  Reflective optics (lamp above
the transparency in the projection head) gives a compact projector but I've
never been impressed with their brightness; also I understand that these
don't work well with LCD displays.  I used to use a projector that used a
mirror rather than the more common fresnel lens for a condensor; it had
outstanding brightness.  You really need to try the projector, preferably
side by side, to evaluate brightness.

The most important factor with LCD displays is heat.  As the display gets
hot its contrast falls off.  The worst problem is if the light intensity
and heating are not uniform across the display.  You'll wind up not being
able to get all of the display to project at the same time.  Again, you
really need to try the projector and for an extended period of time.

Having used an LCD display for a presentation, I would be seriously tempted
to use conventional transparencies of screen shots if at all feasible,
particularly if I had to present to a lot of people.  If I really did need
the "live" demo I'd also seriously consider having an assistant to run the
computer while I did the presentation.  It is pretty hard to do a good
presentation and work a computer at the same time.  On the other hand, LCD
displays are great if you want to do a demo for more people than you can
crowd around your computer but you aren't doing some big formal
presentation.