[comp.periphs] connecting a graphics tablet to a UNIX box

jonathan@jvc.UUCP (Jonathan Hue) (03/18/89)

Has anyone ever hooked up a graphics tablet to a UNIX workstation.  For some
strange reason, my boss wants me to connect a Summagraphics and
a Numonics tablet to a Sun workstation.  The problem is that I don't want
the workstation to get hammered by interrupts from a continuous stream of
tablet data.  I can put the tablet into increment mode, where it only sends
data when the puck is moved, or in point-switch mode, where it only
sends data when a button is down.  What I want is for it to send data only
when the puck moves or a button is pressed (like the mouse).  Unfortunately,
the tablets don't support this mode.

I modified my Sun X server so it uses the tablet in increment mode instead of
the mouse.  It works fine, but it won't see a button transition unless you move
the puck a tiny bit at the same time.  If I can't get some custom firmware from
the tablet vendors which makes the tablet work the way I want, I might build
a little "black box" which takes in continuous tablet data, and only sends
tablet data to the host when the puck moves or a button is pressed/released
(using some cheap microcontroller with built-in serial ports, and a tiny
bit of ROM and RAM).  There has to be a better way.

Anyone have any suggestions?

-Jonathan		uunet!jvc!jonathan

In article <471@jvc.UUCP> jonathan@jvc.UUCP (Jonathan Hue) writes:
>... I don't want
>the workstation to get hammered by interrupts from a continuous stream of
>tablet data...   If I can't get some custom firmware from
>the tablet vendors which makes the tablet work the way I want, I might build
>a little "black box" which takes in continuous tablet data, and only sends
>tablet data to the host when the puck moves or a button is pressed/released...
>(using some cheap microcontroller with built-in serial ports, and a tiny
>bit of ROM and RAM).  There has to be a better way.
>
>Anyone have any suggestions?

Uh, what are you expecting in the way of suggestions?  Either the tablet
is sending a continuous stream or it's not.  If there's no non-stream mode
that will give you the information you want, it's going to have to send
a stream and *something* will have to receive it.  If you don't want your
workstation to have to handle it, you need your black box.  How else?
--
Welcome to Mars!  Your         |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
passport and visa, comrade?    | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu