[comp.periphs] 3rd party scsi drives

pts@watt.acc.Virginia.EDU (Paul T. Shannon) (04/11/89)

I'd like to add a second disk drive to a Masscomp 5400 (a small
68020 real time unix box).  The 70 mb drive, and the floppy drive
in the machine now both run off of an SCSI controller.

I've combed the library looking for articles and books on the
SCSI standard, and the best I've found is a May '86 article
in Byte.  Can anyone refer me to a thorough description of the
SCSI?

And can anyone give me advice on the pros and cons of buying
a 3rd party SCSI drive for our Masscomp?  The list price
Masscomp (now Concurrent) asks for a 350 mb drive is $8000.
JDR Microdevices catalog lists a Maxtor 340 mb, 16 ms seek
time, SCSI, for $2395.  Thanks.

mic@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (Mic Lacey) (04/11/89)

I too am intrested in using a third party SCSI drive but on a Hewlett Packard
workstation (HP 340, but info on any HP 3xx would be cool).  Is there a good
reason why SCSI drives are sooooo expensive when you buy them from the same
company you are buying your workstation from?  And why do I hear horror
stories about third party SCSI drives being used on various workstations
(esp. Sun), isn't SCSI supose to be a standard?

		-Mic

terryk@pinocchio.Encore.COM (Terence Kelleher) (04/11/89)

In article <2824@sun.soe.clarkson.edu> mic@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (Mic Lacey) writes:
>Is there a good
>reason why SCSI drives are sooooo expensive when you buy them from the same
>company you are buying your workstation from?  And why do I hear horror
>stories about third party SCSI drives being used on various workstations
>(esp. Sun), isn't SCSI supose to be a standard?
>
>		-Mic

The basic reason why computer and workstaion manufacturers charge a
bundle for disks is because they are also in the buisness of
supporting them also and have to make it worth their effort.  If I
sell a disk to go on the system I sold and the disk has problems, I
have to replace or fix it.  I am also trying to work of the costs of
my enginee ring investment every time I sell anything.  Joe's discount
disk outlet has no investment in engineering and if your disk has
problems will provide you with the address of a manufacturers repair
depot.

SCSI is quite standard if vendors use the Common Command set, and most
disk vendors do.  The computer nmanufacturers however, may cut corners
in the host side support by making assumptions about drives and not
using the CCS commands to their fullest.  One example is where you
have a geometry table coded into the machine and on open have to
specify  to the driver the type of drive you are using.  The
information is readily available from the drives, but is not being
used.  The driver is probably a migration from an ESDI driver and
carries a lot of overhead from then.

Terry Kelleher, Encore Computer
Phone: 508-460-0500
UUCP: {bu-cs,decvax,necntc,talcott}!encore!terryk
Internet: terryk%pinocchio@multimax.ARPA

jlohmeye@entec.Wichita.NCR.COM (John Lohmeyer) (04/13/89)

In article <580@babbage.acc.virginia.edu> pts@watt.acc.Virginia.EDU (Paul T. Shannon) writes:
> [stuff deleted]
>I've combed the library looking for articles and books on the
>SCSI standard, and the best I've found is a May '86 article
>in Byte.  Can anyone refer me to a thorough description of the
>SCSI?

You can get a good overview of SCSI buy sending $9.95 (+5% sales tax if you
live in Kansas -- unlikely 8-) to:

     C.J. Morey
     NCR Corporation
     SCSI Technology Group
     3718 N. Rock Rd.
     Wichita, KS 67226

Ask for the "What is SCSI?" book.  If you want a copy of the actual SCSI
Standard, call either ANSI at (212) 642-4900 or Global Engineering Documents
at (800) 854-7179 and ask for X3.131-1986.  The ANSI price is $25 and the
Global price is $40 (but Global actually fills your order without having
to call repeatedly :-).

If you want a copy of the draft SCSI-2 standard, you can also get that from
Global for about $75.  They know it as X3.131-198X.

---
John Lohmeyer
j.lohmeyer@Wichita.NCR.COM

noel@ubbs-nh.MV.COM (Noel Del More) (04/13/89)

In article <2824@sun.soe.clarkson.edu> mic@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (Mic Lacey) writes:
>I too am intrested in using a third party SCSI drive but on a Hewlett Packard
>workstation (HP 340, but info on any HP 3xx would be cool).  Is there a good
>reason why SCSI drives are sooooo expensive when you buy them from the same
>company you are buying your workstation from?  And why do I hear horror
>stories about third party SCSI drives being used on various workstations
>(esp. Sun), isn't SCSI supose to be a standard?
>
>		-Mic

Forgive me as I may not have all the facts straight here but it may be
good for a lead.

I posted an article several weeks ago about Newbury liquidating their
stock of drives because of their intention to withdraw from the U.S.
marketplace (I also posted an update to that article today in
misc.forsale).

One fellow who bought one of their drives for his Sun sent me e-mail
concerning his difficulties getting it to work on his system.

Well, to make a long story short, I recently got another of the 380 mb.
drives from Newbury and while doing so asked about the problems with Sun
systems.

I was told that the controller Sun used is slightly brain-damaged.  And
that the OEM who made the controllers fixed the problem but Sun is not
providing the fix to its customers.  The OEM's name escapes me at this
time, but it was suggested that the OEM be contacted concerning the fix.

BTW, in a previous article someone mentioed that Masscomp wanted $8000
for a 350 mb. SCSI drive.  Well, my 380's cost me $1095.00 each from
Newbury.  Seems to me that one could buy a couple drives and a new
controller that supported them for $8000 and still look good to his/her
boss!

Noel
--
Noel B. Del More             |                             decvax!ubbs-nh!noel
17 Meredith Drive            |                             noel@ubbs-nh.mv.com