[comp.periphs] Computerized Climate Control

fff@mplex.UUCP (Fred Fierling) (04/20/89)

I am looking for a system that would allow a Unix machine to control
the air conditioning and heating systems in a building.  What would be
ideal is a system with software, temperature sensors and relays which
would allow the Unix machine to function as a smart thermostat.  Indoor
temperatures could be programmed to go up in the early morning and drop
down after business hours, on weekends and on holidays to save energy.

Ideally the system would run off a serial port and not take up a bus slot.

Please email me if you know of anyone making such a system.

Fred Fierling    Tel: 604 875-1461   Microplex Systems Ltd, 265 East 1st Avenue
uunet!mplex!fff  Fax: 604 875-9029   Vancouver, BC, V5T 1A7, Canada

dan@rna.UUCP (Dan Ts'o) (04/23/89)

In article <274@mplex.UUCP> fff@mplex.UUCP (Fred Fierling) writes:
>I am looking for a system that would allow a Unix machine to control
>the air conditioning and heating systems in a building.  What would be
>ideal is a system with software, temperature sensors and relays which
>would allow the Unix machine to function as a smart thermostat.  Indoor
>temperatures could be programmed to go up in the early morning and drop
>down after business hours, on weekends and on holidays to save energy.
>
>Ideally the system would run off a serial port and not take up a bus slot.

	If you just want an alarm/phone call system, Radio Shack, among
others sells one, cheap $70?
	If you want alarms/phone call and power shutdown, there are these
SAM units advertised in the back of Digital Review and Hardcopy mags. They
are more expensive: $1000? The SAM might have an aux relay output to
implement a thermostat system.
	If you really want thermostat control, I'm not sure. But the X10
BSR home control system (DAK had some) might do it. It has relays and
power switches.