[comp.periphs] SCSI protocol ..

lenny@icus.islp.ny.us (Lenny Tropiano) (04/17/89)

In article <328@entec.Wichita.NCR.COM> jlohmeye@entec.Wichita.NCR.COM
(John Lohmeyer) writes:
|>In article <580@babbage.acc.virginia.edu> pts@watt.acc.Virginia.EDU
(Paul T. Shannon) writes:
|>> [stuff deleted]
|>>I've combed the library looking for articles and books on the
|>>SCSI standard, and the best I've found is a May '86 article
|>>in Byte.  Can anyone refer me to a thorough description of the
|>>SCSI?
|>>
|>You can get a good overview of SCSI buy sending $9.95 (+5% sales tax if you
|>live in Kansas -- unlikely 8-) to:

|>If you want a copy of the draft SCSI-2 standard, you can also get that from
|>Global for about $75.  They know it as X3.131-198X.

I've heard there is something called a SCSI BBS that you can "download"
the SCSI standard.  I'm looking for the protocol/standard myself, and I
would like to get a machine readable copy.  Does anyone know where I can
get this?  Does anyone have the phone number for the SCSI BBS?

Thanks in advance,
Lenny
--
Lenny Tropiano             ICUS Software Systems         [w] +1 (516) 582-5525
lenny@icus.islp.ny.us      Telex; 154232428 ICUS         [h] +1 (516) 968-8576

jlohmeye@entec.Wichita.NCR.COM (John Lohmeyer) (04/17/89)

In article <675@icus.islp.ny.us> lenny@icus.islp.ny.us (Lenny Tropiano) writes:
>In article <328@entec.Wichita.NCR.COM> jlohmeye@entec.Wichita.NCR.COM
>(John Lohmeyer) writes:
>|>>
>|>You can get a good overview of SCSI buy sending $9.95 (+5% sales tax if you
>|>live in Kansas -- unlikely 8-) to:

>|>If you want a copy of the draft SCSI-2 standard, you can also get that from
>|>Global for about $75.  They know it as X3.131-198X.
>|>

>I've heard there is something called a SCSI BBS that you can "download"
>the SCSI standard.  I'm looking for the protocol/standard myself, and I
>would like to get a machine readable copy.  Does anyone know where I can
>get this?  Does anyone have the phone number for the SCSI BBS?

Yes, Lenny, I am the "Sysop" for the SCSI BBS.  The following is a slightly
edited file from my board describing the contents of the board:

                              SCSI BBS

     This is an electronic bulletin board system provided by NCR
     Corporation for dissemination of information about SCSI and
     other I/O interface standards.

     You may call the SCSI BBS at (316) 636-8700 using a 300,
     1200, or 2400 baud modem with 8-bit data, no parity, and
     one stop bit.  There is no fee for using the SCSI BBS except
     your telephone long distance costs.

     The SCSI BBS contains:

      The latest WordStar (tm) files for the SCSI-2 draft
      standard.

      The final public domain version of SCSI-1 (Revision 17B)

      Various electronic format files for the figures in the
      SCSI-2 draft standard.

      Some of the X3T9.2 committee documents that are available
      in electronic format, including the meeting minutes.

      The X3T9.2 committee document register.

      The X3T9.2 committee membership list.

      Information about the SCSI Common Access Method (CAM)
      Committee, including meeting minutes.

      The ESDI draft standard WordStar (tm) files.

      The IPI-2 Disk and IPI-3 Disk draft ISO standard
      WordStar (tm) files.

      Many other files containing related information.

      Numerous messages from callers to the SCSI BBS about the
      above documents.

I hope this helps, but I'm afraid I will now have another flood of new
users on my board :-).

John Lohmeyer       j.lohmeyer@Wichita.NCR.COM

dchun@nunki.usc.edu (Dale Chun) (05/02/89)

I need help trying to make a Quantum SCSI PRO-80S hard drive work with
a Leading Edge Model D2 computer. I have been told that I would need a
host adapter ($49.95), cables and mounting brackets (so that this 3.5"
drive can fit in a 5.25" mounting hole). Does anyone know of a dealer
than can make this drive work? Any info will be appreciated.

cmorey@ncrwic.Wichita.NCR.COM (C. J. Morey) (05/04/89)

In article <3699@nunki.usc.edu> dchun@nunki.usc.edu (Dale Chun) writes:
>I need help trying to make a Quantum SCSI PRO-80S hard drive work with
>a Leading Edge Model D2 computer.
[text deleted]
Any info will be appreciated.

NCR offers (soon to be offered through Prentice Hall Publishing) a small,
handy reference guide about SCSI. It gives a basic overview of the interface,
its history, and how it functions. No nuts and bolts of implementation, but
extremely helpful in the understanding of basics.

If you're interested, NCR has a few copies left. When we run out, Prentice
Hall will be the place to go to.

Send a check for $9.95 (+ 5% tax if you live in Kansas, which is highly
unlikely) to:
        NCR Corporation
        3718 North Rock Road
        Wichita, KS 67220