[comp.periphs] Questions On HP Paint Jet Color Printer

RUDI_ZEUS_SACHENBACHER@cup.portal.com (05/07/89)

I'm Considering The Purchase Of A Color Printer For My Mac II based
System and am looking at the Hewlett Packard "Paint Jet" Color Printer
(Part Number 3630A) with the serial Mac Interface Kit. My System has
a 16" RasterOps color display and i use Pixel Paint as my primary art program.
I would appreciate hearing from anyone with experience on this COLOR

and this printer would cost approx. $1300, and privides 180 dots per inch.
Any Help Will Be Greatly Appreciated. Thank You !

mario@hp-sdd.hp.com (Mario Alvarez) (05/09/89)

In article <18058@cup.portal.com> RUDI_ZEUS_SACHENBACHER@cup.portal.com writes:
>I'm Considering The Purchase Of A Color Printer For My Mac II based
>System and am looking at the Hewlett Packard "Paint Jet" Color Printer
>(Part Number 3630A) with the serial Mac Interface Kit. My System has
>a 16" RasterOps color display and i use Pixel Paint as my primary art program.
>I would appreciate hearing from anyone with experience on this COLOR
>
>and this printer would cost approx. $1300, and privides 180 dots per inch.
>Any Help Will Be Greatly Appreciated. Thank You !

In general the HP PaintJet along with the interface kit is a very good
solution to satisfy your color printing needs on a MAC II. I have printed
some images with Pixel Paint and there are a few issues that you should
be aware of.  The interface kit limits the number of colors that the
HP PaintJet can produce to 256.  As a result you might experience some
banding in your final output.  For example, if on the screen you have
a suttle shading from light to dark blue, the PaintJet will only output
four different shades.  If anyone has any further questions regarding the
HP PaintJet and the Mac interface kit please feel free to send me email
at:

UUCP	: {hplabs|nosc|hpfcla|ucsd}!hp-sdd!mario
Internet: mario%hp-sdd@hp-sde.sde.hp.com

I work for Hewlett-Packard, San Diego Division and was involved with
the development of the Macintosh interface kit.

jim@b-mrda.Boeing (Jim Sadler) (05/11/89)

Other items on the Paintjet and its software you should be aware of are:

In multi-finder only one of the active programs can print. No other program can
print until you quit the program that used the printer.

Currently the driver contains the fonts and this causes the file in the system
folder to be about 2 meg in size.

You can not use your modem port if you use the printer via a shiva net serial.

I had problem with MS Word 3.01 BUT I WAS NOT ABLE TO REPRODUCE IT ON ANY OTHER
MACHINE, ONLY MINE. I should also mention that since I do test & eval. my Mac
is not what you would consider a "normal" configuration.

I believe that the color matching could be better.

Enough of that.
The printer hardware is outstanding!  Everyone who has seen the output is
impressed, including me.  The bang for the buck is great !

In this area I have seen it advertised at about $990.
I'm impressed enough to buy one for home.

I did report the above bugs to the SD div. and have not heard any response
although they were cooperative in resolving other questions I had.

		jim sadler
		206-234-9009
		hpubvwa!b-mrda!jim
		P.O. Box 3707 MS 6R-58
		Seattle, Wa. USA 98124

	Any opinions expressed are mine and mine only and not that of my
	employer.  Also add in whatever else should be said at this point.