[comp.periphs] Phillips CM121 CD Rom drive on a Sun

hull@cs.Buffalo.EDU (Jon Hull) (05/25/89)

I would like to purchase one of these
and use it on a Sun workstation.
Being a novice CD Rom user, I don't know if
this is feasible.  It seems as if this type
of drive is usually sold for PC applications.
If you have any information about this drive
including the availability of a Unix device driver
and a good vendor from which to purchase it,
please let me know.

Thanks,
Jon Hull
hull@cs.buffalo.edu

tneale@aeras.UUCP (Tom Neale) (05/27/89)

In article <6099@cs.Buffalo.EDU> hull@cs.Buffalo.EDU (Jon Hull) writes:
>I would like to purchase one of these
>and use it on a Sun workstation.

I can't help you with using this drive on any specific machine, but there
is a "feature" you may want to know about in advance.

The Phillips / LMSI CD-ROM drives use a different disk carrier than
*anybody* else.  You won't be able to exchange disks with someone
who uses the Sony type carrier that the rest of the CD-ROM world
uses.

Beware!

--
Blue skies,	| ...sun!aeras!tneale	|
		| in flight:     N2103Q	|         The hurrieder I go
Tom Neale	| in freefall:   D8049	|         the behinder I get.
		| via the ether: WA1YUB	|