[comp.periphs] CD-ROM High Sierra format help wanted

davek@lakesys.UUCP (Dave Kraft) (05/23/89)

Hi,
Where I work, we've got a Hitachi CD-ROM drive with a couple of CDs.  One says
that it is in 'High Sierra' format.  I was wondering if anyone could describe
this format to me so I could write our own retrieval software.  Any help would
be appriciated...

Dave

P.S.  It seems that CD-ROMs are getting to be popular..  maybe a new group
comp.periphs.cd-rom would be in order??

--
davek@lakesys.lakesys.com
uunet!marque!lakesys!davek

dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) (05/24/89)

In article <642@lakesys.UUCP> davek@lakesys.UUCP (Dave Kraft) writes:
>Hi,
>Where I work, we've got a Hitachi CD-ROM drive with a couple of CDs.  One says
>that it is in 'High Sierra' format.  I was wondering if anyone could describe
>this format to me so I could write our own retrieval software.

I'm looking for the same.  Who is publishing the spec, and how may it be
obtained?

--
Steve Dyer
dyer@ursa-major.spdcc.com aka {ima,harvard,rayssd,linus,m2c}!spdcc!dyer

davek@lakesys.UUCP (Dave Kraft) (05/24/89)

In article <3356@ursa-major.SPDCC.COM>, dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) writes:
> I'm looking for the same.  Who is publishing the spec, and how may it be
> obtained?

So far, the only thing that I've found out is that the H.S. format is discussed
in a book called "CD-ROM vol. 2 - Optical Publishing" and is available from the
Microsoft Press.  The address for Microsoft Press is as follows:
Microsoft Press
16011 N.E. 36th Way, Box 97017
Redmond, Washington 98073-9717

Hopes this helps.
> Steve Dyer
Dave Kraft
--

blob@apple.com (Brian Bechtel) (05/25/89)

In article <3356@ursa-major.SPDCC.COM> dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) writes:
> In article <642@lakesys.UUCP> davek@lakesys.UUCP (Dave Kraft) writes:
> >Hi, Where I work, we've got a Hitachi CD-ROM drive with a couple of CDs.
> >One says that it is in 'High Sierra' format.  I was wondering if anyone
> >could describe this format to me so I could write our own retrieval
> >software.
>
> I'm looking for the same.  Who is publishing the spec, and how may it be
> obtained?

The original High Sierra spec was published by NIST (formerly NBS) and is
available from

  NISO/NIST
  Administration 101
  Library E-106
  Gaithersburg, MD 20899
  (301) 975-2814

What you really should be looking at is the international standard which
is equivalent to High Sierra; ISO 9660 (also known as ECMA-119 or
pANS Z39.60 198x).  This is (probably) available from the same source, or
write to the International Organization for Standardization in Geneva,
Switzerland.  (Sorry, I don't have a better address than that.)

These documents are written in bureaucratese.  For a human-readable
description of High Sierra, look in the second Microsoft CD-ROM conference
book.

High Sierra/ISO 9660 is a operating system independent volume format.  It
specifies directory and file structures in a way such that the CD is
readable under a variety of operating systems.  Support is provided by
many operating systems, including Apple Macintosh, Apple IIgs, MS-DOS,
Digital's VMS, and many varieties of Unix.

Note that High Sierra defines how to get to the files, not the file
contents.

If you have further specific questions, ask. I wrote the Mac High
Sierra/ISO 9660 drivers.

--Brian Bechtel     blob@apple.com     "My opinion, not Apple's"

bill@cosi.UUCP (Bill Michaelson) (05/26/89)

]
]I'm looking for the same.  Who is publishing the spec, and how may it be
]obtained?

You might start with the September 1987 issue of Microsoft Systems Journal.
It contains an article describing the High Sierra format.
--
Bill Michaelson - Reply to: princeton!mccc!cosi!bill
also at... Voice 609-771-6705  CompuServe 72416,1026

rosso@sco.COM (Ross Oliver) (05/27/89)

In article <646@lakesys.UUCP> davek@lakesys.UUCP (Dave Kraft) writes:
>In article <3356@ursa-major.SPDCC.COM>, dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) writes:
>> I'm looking for the same.  Who is publishing the spec, and how may it be
>> obtained?
>So far, the only thing that I've found out is that the H.S. format is discussed
>in a book called "CD-ROM vol. 2 - Optical Publishing" and is available from the
>Microsoft Press.

The Microsoft book, unfortunately, provides only a high-level
description, lacking the details necessary to actually write any
code.  The "official" standard is ISO 9660, "Information processing --
Volume and file structure of CD-ROM for informaton interchange."
You can get it from Global Engineering Documents, 800-854-7175,
or 714-261-1455.  The document is very pricey: $60 for 31 pages.
Its also about as easy to understand as the tax code.  But, it
is The Standard.