[comp.periphs] Quattro PROM burners

duane@ginosko.samsung.com (Andrew Duane) (06/20/89)

I am looking for some information on Quattro (sp?) PROM burners.
Does anyone know how to contact them, or have any information on
their product line?

One specific question about them: one of our people claims that
these units can tell what kind of chip and what manufacturer it
is (i.e. family/part number) just by plugging the chip in. This
sounds too good to be true. Is it?

Andrew L. Duane (JOT-7)  w:(508)-685-7200 X122  h:(603)-434-7934
Samsung Software America	 decvax!cg-atla!ginosko!duane
1 Corporate Drive			  uunet/
Andover, MA.   01810

Only my cat shares my opinions, and she's breaking in the new help.

In article <1524@ginosko.samsung.com> duane@ginosko.samsung.com (Andrew Duane) writes:
>One specific question about them: one of our people claims that
>these units can tell what kind of chip and what manufacturer it
>is (i.e. family/part number) just by plugging the chip in. This
>sounds too good to be true. Is it?

No, it's for real.  Essentially (I think) all modern EPROMs have an
identifier feature, obtained by putting unusual voltages on one or two
pins, that reads out a manufacturer code and a type code.
--
You *can* understand sendmail, |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
but it's not worth it. -Collyer| uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

paul@Data-IO.COM (Paul Brownlow) (06/21/89)

In article <1524@ginosko.samsung.com> duane@ginosko.samsung.com (Andrew Duane) writes:
>I am looking for some information on Quattro (sp?) PROM burners.
>
>One specific question about them: one of our people claims that
>these units can tell what kind of chip and what manufacturer it
>is (i.e. family/part number) just by plugging the chip in. This
>sounds too good to be true. Is it?

This is not black magic.  Many programmers do this, including the
boxes manufactured here at Data I/O.  Most semiconductor manufacturers
these days install a 2-byte code in each device which identifies
who the manufacturer of the device is and what specific device it
is.  The code can typically be extracted by supplying a super-voltage
to one of the address pins and reading the data lines.

The spec sheet for any device which has this feature will explain
how it works.

--
Paul Brownlow				|	"What's the significance?
Data I/O Corp.   Redmond, WA		|	 I don't know!"