[comp.periphs] Need info on ADDS Viewpoint terminal

ssd@sugar.hackercorp.com (Scott Denham) (06/26/89)

I've recently added a fairly old (197x?) ADDS Viewpoint to my collection
of computer "stuff" (my wife uses a stronger term!) and need some help
figuring out the DIP switches that control the configuration. I can't
find a model number anywhere on the unit, but I know it's old becauste
there are stickers on the logic board indicating it was rebuilt in 1981.
It's a basic detached-keyboard, RS-232, white phospor monitor terminal,
with two female DB-25 connectors, a handset plug for the keyboard, a
contrast control, and a power switch on the back. There are two DIP
switches that configure it, S1 which is accessable through a hole in the
back of the case, and S2 inside on the logic board. I've figured out that
elements 1-3 of S1 control baud rate, S6 controls half/full duplex, and
that some of the switches on S2 control things like reverse video, cursor
blink, and cursor type. If anyone has a manual that describes the full
set of DIP settings, I'd appreciate an e-mailing of what they are, to
save me a lot of trial-and-error experimentation.
   Thanks.....
     Scott Denham
      Houston, TX

childers@avsd.UUCP (Richard Childers) (06/28/89)

ssd@sugar.hackercorp.com (Scott Denham) writes:

>I've recently added a fairly old (197x?) ADDS Viewpoint to my collection
>... and need some help figuring out the DIP switches ...

I thought about emailing this, but my mailer has trouble with Internet
addressing, and besides, ADDS Viewpoint terminals are common enough that
I'm able to argue myself into posting this to the net.

>If anyone has a manual that describes the full set of DIP settings, I'd
>appreciate an e-mailing of what they are, to save me a lot of trial-and-error
>experimentation.

Thanks to my brother for being home and having the patience to look this up
and convey it to me in a timely fashion ...

	S1	1-3		baud rate
				000		110
				001		150
				010		300
				011		1200
				100		2400
				101		4800
				110		9600
				111		19200
		4		auto-scroll
				0		disabled
				1		enabled
		5		auto-linefeed
				0		disabled
				1		enabled
		6		line mode
				0		half duplex
				1		full duplex
		7-8		parity
				00		odd
				01		even
				10		mark
				11		space

	S2	1		char display
				0		light
				1		dark
		2		display parity
				0		disabled
				1		enabled
		3		screen refresh
				0		60 Hz
				1		50 Hz
		4-6		International character sets
				000		Domestic U S
				001		Belgium, France
				010		Germany, Switzerland
				011		Sweden, Finland
				100		Denmark, Norway
				101		Spain
				110		United Kingdom, Netherlands
				111		Reserved
		7		cursor display
				0		steady
				1		blinking
		8		cursor format
				0		block
				1		underline

	JP1	jumper		key click	[ enables key click ]

>     Scott Denham
>      Houston, TX

-- richard

--
 *    "We must hang together, gentlemen ... else, we shall most assuredly     *
 *     hang separately."         Benjamin Franklin, 1776                      *