[comp.periphs] Summus carousel cartridge backup tape system

lamaster@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Hugh LaMaster) (06/24/89)

Has anyone seen the Summus, or any other, carousel type cartridge tape
system working.  I saw an ad a while back, but I haven't seen anything
lately.  Does anyone know what the address of the company is?

  Hugh LaMaster, m/s 233-9,  UUCP ames!lamaster
  NASA Ames Research Center  ARPA lamaster@ames.arc.nasa.gov
  Moffett Field, CA 94035
  Phone:  (415)694-6117

craig@summus.UUCP (Craig Petty) (06/29/89)

In article <27474@ames.arc.nasa.gov> lamaster@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Hugh LaMaster) writes:
>Has anyone seen the Summus, or any other, carousel type cartridge tape
>system working.  I saw an ad a while back, but I haven't seen anything
>lately...

Yes.  For those interested, the "Juke Box Library" (JBL) is an
autoloading 8mm 125-Gigabyte Storage System.  Or put another way, a
carousel system which can hold 54 cartridges (at 2.3 Gigabytes each) and
two Gigatape 8mm drives.

The system is available on a wide variety of platforms, including
DEC (Ultrix and VMS), Sun, Apple Macintosh, Compaq & IBM PC/AT
compatibles, and most UNIX based systems which have either a SCSI-bus
or a VME-backplane.

The units shipped so far have been primarily Sun units.

>...  Does anyone know what the address of the company is?

Summus Computer Systems
P.O. Box 219270
Houston, TX 77218

Phone: (800) 255-9638