[comp.periphs] SCSI->SCSI vs. SCSI->ESDI disk performance?

poage@sunny.ucdavis.edu (Tom Poage) (07/19/89)

I have run into an apparently unresolvable question.
Is there a performance hit in having an ESDI disk
hooked to a SCSI bus through a translator (Emulex MD21)
versus a SCSI disk hanging directly on the bus?

ESDI disk performance is supposed to be higher than
that of SCSI disks.  Does this mean that the two
configurations are roughly equivalent in performance
after taking into account the MD21?

The questions burn on and on.

Thanks.  Tom.
--
Tom Poage, UCDMC Clinical Engineering, Sacto., CA
poage@sunny.ucdavis.edu        {...,ucbvax}!ucdavis!sunny!poage

In article <398@sunny.ucdavis.edu> poage@sunny.ucdavis.edu (Tom Poage) writes:
>Is there a performance hit in having an ESDI disk
>hooked to a SCSI bus through a translator (Emulex MD21)
>versus a SCSI disk hanging directly on the bus?

The odds are very good that your "SCSI disk" is in fact an ESDI disk or
something similar with such a translator built in.  No disk drive directly
talks SCSI; there has to be a controller in there somewhere, even if it's
built into the drive.  Many manufacturers supply the same drive as a SCSI
drive or an ESDI (or whatever) drive simply by leaving out the controller
board and the SCSI connector if the order doesn't say "SCSI".

Any difference in performance will be a matter of controller design, disk
data rate, etc., and close attention to the specs is needed.

>ESDI disk performance is supposed to be higher than
>that of SCSI disks...

*If* the ESDI drive is hooked directly to your machine, not via SCSI.
Running it through a SCSI translator eliminates any inherent performance
gain.

(Actually there is no inherent reason why SCSI drives can't be blazing
fast, it's just that most of them aren't.)
--
$10 million equals 18 PM       |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
(Pentagon-Minutes). -Tom Neff  | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

tneale@aeras.UUCP (Tom Neale) (07/20/89)

In article <398@sunny.ucdavis.edu> poage@sunny.ucdavis.edu (Tom Poage) writes:

>Is there a performance hit in having an ESDI disk
>hooked to a SCSI bus through a translator (Emulex MD21)
>versus a SCSI disk hanging directly on the bus?

>ESDI disk performance is supposed to be higher than
>that of SCSI disks.  Does this mean that the two
>configurations are roughly equivalent in performance
>after taking into account the MD21?

Most manufacturers use the same HDA and servo systems on their SCSI
and ESDI products of a given form factor and capacity.  What this
means is the controller is what causes most of the differences in
performance.

ESDI is a fairly low level interface while SCSI is a higher level,
"intelligent" interface.  SCSI drives often have lower performance
numbers because of the command processing overhead required.  This
is the time it takes the controller to decode, interpret and execute
a command.  This time is anywhere from 0.5 to 2.5 milliseconds.  Other
things that will affect performance of a SCSI drive are transfer rate
of the drive *and* controller (sync vs. async), disconnect capability,
read ahead caching and so on.  The combination of controller and drive
will affect performance as well because of the compatibility of SCSI
implementations.

On a single drive system you probably will see better performance with
and ESDI controller and drive.  If you have only one controller and
multiple drives SCSI stands to give you better overall performance
because you can overlap operations.

How well will your ESDI drive work?  It depends on all the things
I've mentioned and probably on a few I've forgotten.  How's that for
a long winded non-answer?
--
Blue skies,	| ...sun!aeras!tneale	|
		| in flight:     N2103Q	|         The hurrieder I go
Tom Neale	| in freefall:   D8049	|         the behinder I get.
		| via the ether: WA1YUB	|

terryk@pinocchio (Terence Kelleher) (07/20/89)

In article <1989Jul19.170414.20326@utzoo.uucp>, henry@utzoo (Henry Spencer) writes:

>The odds are very good that your "SCSI disk" is in fact an ESDI disk or
>something similar with such a translator built in.  No disk drive directly
>talks SCSI; there has to be a controller in there somewhere, even if it's
>built into the drive.  Many manufacturers supply the same drive as a SCSI
>drive or an ESDI (or whatever) drive simply by leaving out the controller
>board and the SCSI connector if the order doesn't say "SCSI".

I'll probably get in trouble for this, but not all SCSI drives
translate to another standard.  The Wren series from
CDC/Imprimis/Seagate (whatever they are this week) is clearly a direct
SCSI disk.  The SCSI drives are formatted using Zone Bit Recording,
which modifies the access clock in Zone areas to increase the number
of sectors per track on outer cylinders, increasing both capacity and
average transfer rate. This is not possible with ESDI, SMD or any
other disk specific interface.  The SCSI drives have only one
controller card. The SCSI and ESDI versions of a given Wren product do
not nessecarily have even the same HDA, much less share electronics.

>*If* the ESDI drive is hooked directly to your machine, not via SCSI.
>Running it through a SCSI translator eliminates any inherent performance
>gain.
>
>(Actually there is no inherent reason why SCSI drives can't be blazing
>fast, it's just that most of them aren't.)

If you have multiple disks on your system, the SCSI interface disks
may well outperform the ESDI interface disks.  The SCSI bus can
transfer at a faster rate than the ESDI disks, and since the SCSI
controllers typically buffer data, the transfer on the bus does not
need to take place in sync with transfer from the heads.  Multiple
disks can overlap operations and yeild a higher agragate throughput.

>--
>$10 million equals 18 PM       |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
>(Pentagon-Minutes). -Tom Neff  | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu
--
Terry Kelleher, Encore Computer
Phone: 508-460-0500

jlohmeye@entec.Wichita.NCR.COM (John Lohmeyer) (07/21/89)

In article <398@sunny.ucdavis.edu> poage@sunny.ucdavis.edu (Tom Poage) writes:
>I have run into an apparently unresolvable question.
>Is there a performance hit in having an ESDI disk
>hooked to a SCSI bus through a translator (Emulex MD21)
>versus a SCSI disk hanging directly on the bus?

You ask a very difficult question.  So much depends on factors that you did
not specify.  Knowing the system and the controller helps, but not knowing
the application probably would render any answer invalid.  I say 'probably'
because it may be the case that any application would be affected in an
adverse way by adding the MD21.  But I doubt it.  Many SCSI to ESDI controllers
actually delivery better performance than an embedded SCSI controller.  In
fact, it is possible to see better performance than the raw performance
specifications of the ESDI drive would seem to indicate.  Especially if the
MD21 is a caching controller (I am not familiar with it).

There is really only one good way to compare performance of two configurations.
You have got to benchmark both configurations with a REALISTIC benchmark
program.  A realistic benchmark is one that accesses the disk in a pattern
that is similar to the application you intent to run.  In fact, the most
realistic benchmark IS the application you intent to run.  Although it is
often difficult to get objective data from a real application.

Unfortunately, our industry has a number of standard benchmark programs that
often are poor predictors of actual system performance.  I have limited
first-hand experience with these, but have heard horror stories.  Vendors
then often fall into the trap of tuning their systems to run the benchmarks
well.  The benchmarks then run like a bat-out-of-hell, but the real
applications just don't seem to do so well...

--
John Lohmeyer         J.Lohmeyer@Wichita.NCR.COM
NCR Corp.             uunet!ncrlnk!ncrwic!entec!jlohmeye