[comp.periphs] Cheap Hard Drive Boxes?

tim@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Maroney) (07/21/89)

I was looking over a message from last December on comp.sys.mac, about
how to put together your own 60 Meg SCSI drive for under $600.  The
ingredients were a Seagate ST277N, a Tulin Apple Hive, and a SCSI
cable.  Pretty simple.

However, Tulin appears to have gone out of business; at least, their
number has been disconnected.  I was wondering if someone could point
me to a good replacement in the same price range.  Here's the
description from the article, which was written by Stan Armstrong
<ARMSTRONG%STMARYS.BITNET@FORSYTHE.STANFORD.EDU>:

"The Apple Hive is a complete under the Mac sized box with a 30 Watt
power supply, decently quiet fan (quieter than the drive), internal
cables, 2 SCSI connectors, a filtered AC connector, an external SCSI
address switch, two front panel LED's (for power on and drive
selected), and a front panel power switch.  The box is sturdy and
nicely finished."  The price given in quantity 1 from Tulin was $119.

Just for reference, I may as well post the entire message:

>From: Stan Armstrong
<ARMSTRONG%STMARYS.BITNET@FORSYTHE.STANFORD.EDU>
Subject: DIY 60 meg Mac scsi recipe.

Here is a recipe for a 62.3 meg Mac SCSI hard disk costing less than
$600.  I have built this drive, and I'm very happy with it. It is easy to
assemble and performs as advertised.  The inspiration for the
project was the series of articles "Macintosh SCSI Drive Secrets
Revealed" in the Sep.-Oct Computer Shoppers.  Those articles detail
many other options, but since many people will no longer be able to
get these magazines, and since not all the information was included
in them, here is one configuration that will work.

Ingredients:
        Seagate ST277N SCSI HD          $450.00
        Tulin Apple Hive                $119.00
        Mac to SCSI cable               $10 00
        Power Cord                      $4.00
        Apple HD SC Installer           Free
                                        --------------
        Total                           $583.00

Because I'm in Canada, shipping charges are different, and I can't
provide that information for U.S.  Customer.

Procedure:
        You may order the above items from the sources listed below.
The Apple Hive is a complete under the Mac sized box with a 30 Watt
power supply, decently quiet fan (quieter than the drive), internal
cables, 2 SCSI connectors, a filtered AC connector, an external SCSI
address switch, two front panel LED's (for power on and drive
selected), and a front panel power switch.  The box is sturdy and
nicely finished.
        Unpack the ST277N, open the Apple Hive box with a phillips
screwdriver, mount the drive in the box with the screws provided
(small slot head), and attach the internal cables as indicated by the
instructions.  If you want to use the drive select LED, you will have
to solder two wires to the HD board where on-board LED is (I
removed that LED first).  If you are not comfortable with doing that,
skip that step and do without the activity light.  The drive makes
enough sound changing tracks so that you can usually tell if it is
active.  Now close the box, connect it to the mac with the SCSI cable
you ordered, and to 120V AC with the power cord.  Turn it on, and you
are ready to format it and install the driver.  The Apple HD SC
Installer is part of Apples system software release 6.02. You will
need to modify it slightly using Resedit to get it to recognize the
ST277N.  Using Resedit, open the Installer and open CODE resource
"%A5init".  Search for and replace "ST250N" with ST277N".  Close the
file, exit Resedit, and run the Installer.  When you have finished, the
finder should mount your hard disk.  If it does not, you may need to
turn the drive and the Mac on and off a couple of times.  You might
have to even repeat the formatting.  (If someone can explain why
this is necessary I would appreciate it.  I had a different drive on
the drive to begin with, which may have caused the hitch, but I don't
know why.)  Once the drive is mounted, open the installer again,
select "Partition", remove the existing 40 meg partition, and install
a maximum sized Macintosh volume partition.  Exit.  You now have a
62.3 meg Macintosh SCSI drive for about $600.
        For the curious, this is a moderate speed drive.  Its rated and
measured average access time is 40ms.  It is faster than both th FX-
20 and the Photon 30 we have at work.  It is faster than the same
drive formatted with SF&I software.  I used SCSI evaluator for the
comparisons.  The drive's average read time is about 1800 Kbits/sec
and its average write time is 1200Kbits/sec over a good range of
block transfers using a Mac Plus.
        I am very happy with all the sources I used for this equipment,
but you may find others more convenient.

        The relevant sources are as follows:
Seagate ST277N SCSI hard drive from:
        Hard Drives Intl.
        1208 E. Broadway Rd. #110
        Tempe Az  85282
        (800) 234-DISK
        Tech (602) 967-3133

Apple Hive Box from:
        Tulin Corp.
        2392 Qume Dr.
        San Jose, CA. 95131
        (408) 942-9025

Seagate Tech (800) 468-3472.

"Those Mayas were sacrificing not only pagan children, but baptized
 Christian children, for crying out loud!  And they were carrying out
 those sacrifices, those barbarities, with great savagery, without
 giving the victims the benefit of the humane types of death that the
 European Church accorded even to heretics and witches during that
 century, such as burning at the stake."
		-- Matthew Rosenblatt, rec.arts.books

seo@cs.utexas.edu (Jungyun Seo) (07/21/89)

In article <8081@hoptoad.uucp> tim@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Maroney) writes:

>However, Tulin appears to have gone out of business; at least, their
>number has been disconnected.  I was wondering if someone could point

Noop, I called Tulin this morning.

>Apple Hive Box from:
>        Tulin Corp.
>        2392 Qume Dr.
>        San Jose, CA. 95131
>        (408) 942-9025
               ^^^^^^^^
Their number on this issue of Computer Shopper is 408-432-9025.
This number worked this morning.
Cheers.

Jungyun

1      Jungyun Seo         UUCP:  uunet!cs.utexas.edu!seo                     1
1      (512) 471-9573      ARPA:  seo@cs.utexas.edu                           1

km@cadre.dsl.PITTSBURGH.EDU (Ken Mitchum) (07/22/89)

Tulin is NOT out of business - I just ordered and received something from
them 2 weeks ago.

Their hard disk cabinets are okay - the price is $119 for standard model,
$159 for larger power supply which will handle two drives. I put an ST277N
in one last year without problems.

 Ken Mitchum MD KY3B
 km@cadre.dsl.pitt.edu