[comp.periphs] IEE488/VME/Unix

twb@tropix.UUCP (Thomas W. Banister) (07/19/89)

  I have been working on implementing IEEE488 (GPIB) communications on a VME
based computer running Unix SysV. There does not *seem* to be commercially
available boards *and* drivers for this system. I would greatly appreciate
hearing about any successful implementation of IEEE488 communications on a
similiar system.
  I am aware of serial/GPIB converters but really don't like the idea of them.
I'm pretty much a neophyte in the GPIB area but what little I do know tells me
that these converters are of limited use. (Like, how do you sense an SRQ??)
If you have a good opinion of a converter, well, convert me.
  Please do not bother flaming the IEEE488, if it was not neccessary in my
application I would not be using it.

  					Many Thanks,
					Tom Banister
					...!rochester!tropix!coconut!twb
					(716) 377-3200

lcz@dptudg.sat.datapoint.com (Lee Ziegenhals) (07/20/89)

twb@tropix.UUCP (Thomas W. Banister) writes:

>  I have been working on implementing IEEE488 (GPIB) communications on a VME
>based computer running Unix SysV. There does not *seem* to be commercially
>available boards *and* drivers for this system. I would greatly appreciate
>hearing about any successful implementation of IEEE488 communications on a
>similiar system.

Motorola has a IEEE488 VME module, the MVME300.  They show it as being
supported by VERSAdos and System V/68.

I have no personal experience with this board, and I do not see a driver
specifically for it in my release of System V/68.  Perhaps it comes with
its own drivers?

For more information, you may want to call Motorola's Microcomputer Division.
Their phone number is 1-800-556-1234 x230.

biocca@bevb.bev.lbl.gov (Alan Biocca) (07/20/89)

In article <268@dptudg.sat.datapoint.com> lcz@sat.datapoint.com writes:
>twb@tropix.UUCP (Thomas W. Banister) writes:
>
>>  I have been working on implementing IEEE488 (GPIB) communications on a VME
>>based computer running Unix SysV. There does not *seem* to be commercially
>>available boards *and* drivers for this system. I would greatly appreciate
>>hearing about any successful implementation of IEEE488 communications on a
>>similiar system.
>
>Motorola has a IEEE488 VME module, the MVME300.  They show it as being
>supported by VERSAdos and System V/68.
>
>I have no personal experience with this board, and I do not see a driver
>specifically for it in my release of System V/68.  Perhaps it comes with
>its own drivers?
>
>For more information, you may want to call Motorola's Microcomputer Division.
>Their phone number is 1-800-556-1234 x230.

We have recently received this board and Motorola supplied us with a unix
driver.  This driver was supplied on request at no charge, it did not come
with the board automatically.  It had comments in it indicating 'ported to
System V/68 release 3 & bug fix'.  I have not exhaustively searched it for
such comments beyond that one.  We have different requirements than you, we
plan to use it with vxWorks (anyone else out there done this yet) and will
hack the driver for that.

Alan K Biocca

brian@natinst.com (Brian H. Powell) (07/20/89)

In article <357@tropix.UUCP>, twb@tropix.UUCP (Thomas W. Banister) writes:
>   I have been working on implementing IEEE488 (GPIB) communications on a VME
> based computer running Unix SysV. There does not *seem* to be commercially
> available boards *and* drivers for this system. I would greatly appreciate
> hearing about any successful implementation of IEEE488 communications on a
> similiar system.
} 					Tom Banister
} 					...!rochester!tropix!coconut!twb
} 					(716) 377-3200

     Uhh.  What kind of system are you using?
     National Instruments makes a 1014 (VME) to 488 (GPIB) board.  (We call it
"the 1014 board".)  We've got a variety of drivers for various systems, but
without knowing what kind of system you have, I can't say whether we have
drivers for it.
     There are two versions of the board, a DMA version and a Programmed I/O
version.

Brian H. Powell					National Instruments Corp.
	brian@natinst.com			12109 Technology Blvd.
	uunet!cs.utexas.edu!natinst!brian	Austin, Texas 78727-6204
	AppleLink:NATINST			(512) 250-9119

baumann@muon.uucp (Michael Baumann) (07/20/89)

In article <357@tropix.UUCP> twb@tropix.UUCP (Thomas W. Banister) writes:

 " I have been working on implementing IEEE488 (GPIB) communications on a VME
based computer running Unix SysV. There does not *seem* to be commercially
available boards *and* drivers for this system. I would greatly appreciate
hearing about any successful implementation of IEEE488 communications on a
similiar system. "

Check with National Instruments, 12109 Technology Blvd, Austin Texas, 78727
(512)250-9119. You may want to look at their GPIB-1014 or GPIB-1014P
with drivers. The 1014 allows DMA, the 1014P is programmed I/O. I do not
know if this will work under SysV. We wrote our own drivers to operate with
VxWorks.

Michael Baumann

Radiation Research Lab		|Internet: baumann%proton.UUCP@ucrmath.UCR.EDU
Loma Linda Universtiy Medical Center |        UUCP: ...ucrmath!proton!baumann
Loma Linda, California. (714)824-4077|

clarke@acheron.uucp (Ed Clarke/10240000) (07/21/89)

Try

National Instruments
12109 Technology Blvd
Austin, TX 78727-6204
(800) 531-4742 or (512) 250-9119

These guys make boards for VME, PC, Mac etc. etc. etc.  They may have
a driver for your machine; if not then they sell something called
"Lab Pack" (?) which is source code intended to go into stand alone
instruments.

#include <std.disclamer>
--
Ed Clarke
acheron!clarke

piner@pur-phy (Richard Piner) (07/21/89)

IOtech runs a small add in Phyiscs today. They claim 488 hardware
for IBM, Mac, HP, DEC, & Sun. DOS and Unix drivers. You might give them
a call. They are in Cleavland, their phone is 216-439-4091.

				Richard Piner

jerry@wrs.wrs.com (Jerry Fiddler) (07/22/89)

In article <357@tropix.UUCP> twb@tropix.UUCP (Thomas W. Banister) writes:

>  I have been working on implementing IEEE488 (GPIB) communications on a VME
>based computer running Unix SysV. There does not *seem* to be commercially
>available boards *and* drivers for this system. I would greatly appreciate
>hearing about any successful implementation of IEEE488 communications on a
>similiar system.

I took a quick look in my VITA VMEbus directory, and found that 22 companies
list VMEbus IEEE-488 boards.  I don't know which ones have Sys V drivers
available, but I'm sure that several do.

What Unix system are you using?  Who integrated it?

>  Please do not bother flaming the IEEE488, if it was not neccessary in my
>application I would not be using it.

You have my sympathy.
--
Jerry Fiddler