[comp.periphs] Synchronous SCSI *Disks*

lamaster@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Hugh LaMaster) (07/27/89)

I keep seeing all these ads for synchronous SCSI controllers with speeds
in the 4-5 MB/sec. range.  But I don't see the ads for 4-5 MB/sec.
synchronous SCSI disks.  Are there any reasonably inexpensive general
purpose high capacity etc. synchronous SCSI disks out there with speeds of,
well, what is available?

  Hugh LaMaster, m/s 233-9,  UUCP ames!lamaster
  NASA Ames Research Center  ARPA lamaster@ames.arc.nasa.gov
  Moffett Field, CA 94035
  Phone:  (415)694-6117

olson@anchor.sgi.com (Dave Olson) (07/27/89)

lamaster@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Hugh LaMaster) writes:

>I keep seeing all these ads for synchronous SCSI controllers with speeds
>in the 4-5 MB/sec. range.  But I don't see the ads for 4-5 MB/sec.
>synchronous SCSI disks.  Are there any reasonably inexpensive general
>purpose high capacity etc. synchronous SCSI disks out there with speeds of,
>well, what is available?

These speeds are typically the burst speeds over the scsi bus
when talking about disks; devices that transfer from/to RAM might
actually be able to sustain them.

There are disks coming on the market now or in the next 2-3 months
that are 20 Mhz drives and can deliver sustained 2.1Mb/sec
on read, and 1.9Mb/sec on writes, when doing i/o on contiguous
files with 128K or larger read/write size on the raw device; less,
but not too much lower with sizes down to about 16K.
Filesystem rates are typically lower...

Some of these drives actually can deliver bursts from/to their
buffer at 5Mb/sec as measured with a logic analyzer, for 32K to 64K
at a time.  (Some of these drivers are zone bit recording drives,
so the throughput drops off as you near the end of the drive.)

Of course, your host has to be able to handle it also; the new
Silicon Graphics 4D25 (20 MHz Personal Iris) with the WD 33C93A
SCSI chip is the machine on which the above throughput was measured.

	Dave Olson

It's important to keep an open mind, but not so open
that your brains fall out. -- Stephen A. Kallis, Jr.

george@wombat.UUCP (George Scolaro) (07/27/89)

In article <29254@ames.arc.nasa.gov> lamaster@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Hugh LaMaster) writes:
>I keep seeing all these ads for synchronous SCSI controllers with speeds
>in the 4-5 MB/sec. range.  But I don't see the ads for 4-5 MB/sec.
>synchronous SCSI disks.  Are there any reasonably inexpensive general
>purpose high capacity etc. synchronous SCSI disks out there with speeds of,
>well, what is available?

Hitachi have a new-ish drive: DK515C-78 (660 meg 5.25 in). The quoted
storage is in mbytes (formatted of course). We checked a while ago and the
660 meg drive was around $2500 or so. It supports sync.  scsi at 4
mbytes/sec, and sustained transfer off the media of 2.5 megabytes/sec
(impressive). All I know about the drive is from technical docs. I haven't
bought one yet, but plan to in the near future, for a home brew NS32532
system with an Adaptec AIC6250 SCSI chip (which supports sync scsi), I want
MORE SPEED!  BTW the drive also supports old/slow scsi at 1.5mbytes/sec.
--
George Scolaro
george@wombat

In article <257@odin.SGI.COM> olson@anchor.sgi.com (Dave Olson) writes:
>lamaster@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Hugh LaMaster) writes:

>>I keep seeing all these ads for synchronous SCSI controllers with speeds
>>in the 4-5 MB/sec. range.  But I don't see the ads for 4-5 MB/sec.
>>synchronous SCSI disks.  Are there any reasonably inexpensive general

>These speeds are typically the burst speeds over the scsi bus
>when talking about disks; devices that transfer from/to RAM might
>actually be able to sustain them.

>that are 20 Mhz drives and can deliver sustained 2.1Mb/sec
>on read, and 1.9Mb/sec on writes, when doing i/o on contiguous

>Some of these drives actually can deliver bursts from/to their
>buffer at 5Mb/sec as measured with a logic analyzer, for 32K to 64K

I realize that the 4-5 MB/sec. is the SCSI bus rate, but, I guess what I am
asking is this: IBM, CDC, and more recently, SMD-E drives have been around,
(some of these for years) with speeds >= 3.0 MB/sec.  CDC and
Ibis have produced drives with data rates of 10-12 MB/sec
(I know, parallel heads).  The need and technology are clearly there,
though not necessarily in the same place (price/performance-wise).

My question is: now that "cheap" drives with data rates from a single head
of 24MHz are available, why aren't there synchronous SCSI drives with at
least such speeds available?  The new high speed workstations, like the
SGI 4D/25 mentioned by Dave Olson, are crying out for higher speed disks.

I believe that there would be probably be a market for a dual-parallel-head
drive which would effectively operate at 48MHz (2x24) and which could keep
a 5 MByte/sec SCSI bus busy.  About 4 of these would turn one of the new
20 MIPS workstations from various companies into a real "CDC 7600 on a desk".

markb@denali.sgi.com (Mark Bradley) (07/28/89)

In article <29289@ames.arc.nasa.gov>, lamaster@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Hugh LaMaster) writes:
> In article <257@odin.SGI.COM> olson@anchor.sgi.com (Dave Olson) writes:
> >lamaster@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Hugh LaMaster) writes:
>
> >when talking about disks; devices that transfer from/to RAM might
> >actually be able to sustain them.
>
> >that are 20 Mhz drives and can deliver sustained 2.1Mb/sec
> >on read, and 1.9Mb/sec on writes, when doing i/o on contiguous
>
> >Some of these drives actually can deliver bursts from/to their
> >buffer at 5Mb/sec as measured with a logic analyzer, for 32K to 64K
>
> I realize that the 4-5 MB/sec. is the SCSI bus rate, but, I guess what I am
> asking is this: IBM, CDC, and more recently, SMD-E drives have been around,
> (some of these for years) with speeds >= 3.0 MB/sec.  CDC and
> Ibis have produced drives with data rates of 10-12 MB/sec
> My question is: now that "cheap" drives with data rates from a single head
> of 24MHz are available, why aren't there synchronous SCSI drives with at
> least such speeds available?  The new high speed workstations, like the
> SGI 4D/25 mentioned by Dave Olson, are crying out for higher speed disks.

They are coming.  Although I can't give names and dates, think in terms
of multiple HDA's under the control of a single embedded controller with
significant 'cache' on board.  Multihead/surface disks in 5.25 or 3.5 inch
form factor probably don't make sense, but there are ways other than that to
get significantly faster raw data rates from disks.

24 MHz drives are just around the corner without ZBR techniques, as well.

It is important to realize, too, that just because the disks are fast
that the file systems out there in unix land today can really deliver
the read performance that the hardware can provide.  Advances are being
made to take advantage of this faster technology too, but they must
be developed together in order for it all to work.

We'll have something for you soon.

					markb

--
Mark Bradley				"Faster, faster, until the thrill of
IO Subsystems				 speed overcomes the fear of death."

tneale@aeras.UUCP (Tom Neale) (07/28/89)

In article <29254@ames.arc.nasa.gov> lamaster@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Hugh LaMaster) writes:

>I keep seeing all these ads for synchronous SCSI controllers with speeds
>in the 4-5 MB/sec. range.  But I don't see the ads for 4-5 MB/sec.
>synchronous SCSI disks.  Are there any reasonably inexpensive general
>purpose high capacity etc. synchronous SCSI disks out there with speeds of,
>well, what is available?

I'm not sure how you rate "inexpensive" but most of the newer high
capacity (380 MB to 1.2 GB) 5.25" drives are sync SCSI capable.  Also,
the new 3.5" drives (200 MB and up) seem to have this feature.  Yes, the
drives are available and are shipping.  The SCSI spec says that sync
should run at 4.0 MB/sec.  Some drives will go faster.

To an OEM or system integrator these drives usually cost $3.50 to
$5.00 per megabyte.  You can usually double or triple that by the time
it gets to the end user.
--
Blue skies,	| ...sun!aeras!tneale	|
		| in flight:     N2103Q	|         The hurrieder I go
Tom Neale	| in freefall:   D8049	|         the behinder I get.
		| via the ether: WA1YUB	|

buck@siswat.UUCP (A. Lester Buck) (07/28/89)

In article <29289@ames.arc.nasa.gov>, lamaster@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Hugh LaMaster) writes:
> >that are 20 Mhz drives and can deliver sustained 2.1Mb/sec
> >on read, and 1.9Mb/sec on writes, when doing i/o on contiguous
>
> >Some of these drives actually can deliver bursts from/to their
> >buffer at 5Mb/sec as measured with a logic analyzer, for 32K to 64K
>
> I realize that the 4-5 MB/sec. is the SCSI bus rate, but, I guess what I am
> asking is this: IBM, CDC, and more recently, SMD-E drives have been around,
> (some of these for years) with speeds >= 3.0 MB/sec.  CDC and
> Ibis have produced drives with data rates of 10-12 MB/sec
> (I know, parallel heads).  The need and technology are clearly there,
> though not necessarily in the same place (price/performance-wise).

If you really want to, just take an SMD drive at 3.0 MB/sec and run it
through the NCR ADP-48 SCSI to SMD synchronous controller for a top speed of
4 MB/sec across the bus (minimum synchronous period 250 ns).  This is the
fastest SCSI disk subsystem which I have heard of - please let me know if
anyone can configure something faster.

> I believe that there would be probably be a market for a dual-parallel-head
> drive which would effectively operate at 48MHz (2x24) and which could keep
> a 5 MByte/sec SCSI bus busy.  About 4 of these would turn one of the new
> 20 MIPS workstations from various companies into a real "CDC 7600 on a desk".

But if you keep the SCSI bus busy (continuously), you have removed a major
reason to use SCSI in the first place.  You now cannot add any more drives
on this bus without a disastrous performance hit.  Although the programming
would not be as easy as with SCSI, you might as well have a host bus to SMD
controller directly for each drive.  To effectively and continuously use
drives that have sustained transfer rates of several MB/sec will require
either the "wide" SCSI or "fast" SCSI (or both) parts of SCSI-2.  Of course,
few host buses can sustain such data rates (and especially not four at
once!), so this is all rather acedemic.

--
A. Lester Buck		...!texbell!moray!siswat!buck

cdr@amdcad.AMD.COM (Carl Rigney) (07/28/89)

Ciprico's latest SCSI VME board supports the SCSI-2 wide standard.  With a 32bit
data path instead of 8bit it should reach 20 MByte/sec synch burst rates.
I believe Imprimis either has or is about to have some drives that do wide
SCSI.  I suspect the problem will be finding hosts that can accept that
kind of data input.

CDC Wren V's (600 MB formatted, 16ms, 5MB synch) are selling for around $2500;
I've also heard good things about the Hitachi that someone else mentioned.

Ciprico said at Sun-Expo that they expect Fast SCSI-2 chips to come on the
market in January, and they expect to have a board using them by April or so.
Fast, Wide SCSI is 40 Megabytes/Sec!  At that point you probably have to talk
RAID to get the necessary disk speed.

	--Carl Rigney

Glossary for those who are confused:  SCSI-1 standard uses a 50-pin
connector with 8 data lines.  SCSI-2 defines a "wide" implementation
that has a second cable with 8 or 24 additional data lines, doubling or
quadrupling your data rate.  SCSI-2 also defines a "fast"
implementation that tightens up the timings to allow 10 MB synch on the
old cables, or 40MB if combined with the 32-bit path.

A "RAID" is a set of parallel disks with striping by word, typically,
and usually a parity drive.  By using 5 disks (1 parity) you can
quadruple your data rate; by using 9 you get 8x.  Some have the
capability to lose a drive and keep going, recreating the replacement
drive (after you swap out the bad one) off the Parity drive.  (Others
require downtime while it recreates the missing drive.)  Mean time to
Data Loss for RAIDS is astronomical because you have to lose two drives
at the same time.

Someone recently mentioned that NCR's "Introduction to SCSI" book is
now being published by Prentice-Hall - I'd recommend it highly.  I got
mine at Techmart after the IEEE conference on System Design & Mass
Storage last month; I don't know if they still have any.