[comp.periphs] Really fast modems

woolstar@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu (John D Woolverton) (07/27/89)

Does anyone have any experience with the new
modem from Microcom?  It's listed as:
	38,400 bps
	MNP Class 9
	full-duplex CCITT V.32

How clean does the line have to be to get this
speed?  How well does it shift to lower speeds
for noiser lines?

At $1599 list, it sounds afordable enough
and fast enough so that I might be able to
run my X-window remotely.

	John d Woolverton
	 woolstar@csvax.caltech.edu

ram@nebulus.UUCP (Richard Meesters) (08/02/89)

In article <11377@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu>, woolstar@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu (John D Woolverton) writes:
> Does anyone have any experience with the new
> modem from Microcom?  It's listed as:
> 	38,400 bps
> 	MNP Class 9
> 	full-duplex CCITT V.32
>
> How clean does the line have to be to get this
> speed?  How well does it shift to lower speeds
> for noiser lines?

Bear in mind that when you read the specs, the 38.4 is maximum speed dependant
on being able to generate maximum data compression.  The modem is actually
running at 9600 baud as per the V.32 spec, but data compression allows for
higher throughput.  Your milage may vary depending on the type of data being
transmitted, how good the line is, the type of modem on the other end, etc.

Regards,

--
        Richard Meesters        |

        Home Phone:             |        .sig under construction
        (416)321-6982           |
        Mailpath:               |
        ...!attcan!nebulus!ram  |