[comp.periphs] U.P.S Question?

tim@Data-IO.COM (The Daemon's Slave) (08/18/89)

  Any Opinions or advice on which of the following UPS systems
to purchase would be much appreciated.  The UPS system will be
connected to a IBM AS/400.

1.  KW Systems (10kva online system)

2.  Best Ferrups (10kva system)
--
<tim@Data-IO.COM>            ..uunet            Tim Rosmus (Sys Admin)
..sun!fluke-----------\           |               Data I/O Corporation

shepperd@dms.UUCP (Dave Shepperd) (08/18/89)

From article <1279@pilchuck.Data-IO.COM>, by tim@Data-IO.COM (The Daemon's Slave):

>   Any Opinions or advice on which of the following UPS systems
> to purchase would be much appreciated.  The UPS system will be
> connected to a IBM AS/400.
>
> 1.  KW Systems (10kva online system)

Don't know anything about this one.

> 2.  Best Ferrups (10kva system)

Although I have a Best 3kva (I wish I had a 10kva), I can infer that
the 10kva model would be equal in all aspects other than output power.
I believe that the Best units are about the best you can get as
far as true UPS's go. They are without doubt the Cadillac of UPS's
which means they have lots of neat frills (some of which you will
never use) and they have a price that is a bit steep compared to
some other options. It is clear from their documentation (absolutely
amazing, if only everybody would do their manuals as complete as Best
does, *sigh*) that they understand what a UPS is supposed to do.
Their field service maintenance crew is very good (at least at
doing PM's on a regular basis, my system hasn't broke yet).
If you have the bucks, I don't believe you can go wrong getting
a Best system.

I have no affiliation with Best, I'm only a lowly happy user.
--
Dave Shepperd.	    shepperd@dms.UUCP or motcsd!dms!shepperd
Atari Games Corporation, 675 Sycamore Drive, Milpitas CA 95035.

brent@capmkt.COM (Brent Chapman) (08/19/89)

shepperd@dms.UUCP (Dave Shepperd) writes:

# From article <1279@pilchuck.Data-IO.COM>, by tim@Data-IO.COM (The Daemon's Slave):
# >
# >   Any Opinions or advice on which of the following UPS systems
# > to purchase would be much appreciated.  The UPS system will be
# > connected to a IBM AS/400.
#
# > 2.  Best Ferrups (10kva system)
#
# Although I have a Best 3kva (I wish I had a 10kva), I can infer that
# the 10kva model would be equal in all aspects other than output power.
# I believe that the Best units are about the best you can get as
# far as true UPS's go.

I agree whole-heartedly with this.  I've had one of their 5kva units for
a little over two years, and continue to be quite impressed with both the
unit and the company.  It's a pleasure dealing with them.

# If you have the bucks, I don't believe you can go wrong getting
# a Best system.

When I was shopping around a couple of years ago, the Best units were
actually a little bit _cheaper_ than any of the others I found, and
certainly much smaller, cooler, quieter, and more featureful than any
of the others.  Their prices have been going steadily down for the last
couple of years, too.

I have no relationship to Best other than as a _very_ satisfied customer.

-Brent
--
Brent Chapman					Capital Market Technology, Inc.
Computer Operations Manager			1995 University Ave., Suite 390

In article <808@dms.UUCP> shepperd@dms.UUCP (Dave Shepperd) writes:
>From article <1279@pilchuck.Data-IO.COM>, by tim@Data-IO.COM (The Daemon's Slave):
>>
>>   Any Opinions or advice on which of the following UPS systems
[...]
>> 2.  Best Ferrups (10kva system)
>
>Although I have a Best 3kva (I wish I had a 10kva), I can infer that
>the 10kva model would be equal in all aspects other than output power.
>I believe that the Best units are about the best you can get as
>far as true UPS's go.
[ more rave reviews deleted]

I agree with Dave.  I talked a client into spending the $$ for a 1K
unit for their LAN server about 3 years ago.  It just runs and runs.
It appears to be fairly conservatively rated, as we run it at a
full load and it runs longer than advertised when the power dies.

They have optional software available that, when the backup kicks in
the UPS sends signals through a rs-232 port to the computer.  The
computer can then initiate whatever set of keystrokes you want for
an orderly shutdown.

>I have no affiliation with Best, I'm only a lowly happy user.

Me neither.  Me too!

Mark Urban-Lurain                        urban@cpswh.cps.msu.edu
Computer Science Dept.                   urbanluraimg@clvax1.cl.msu.edu
Michigan State University
A-714 Wells Hall                         (517) 353-0682   office
East Lansing, MI     48824               (517) 355-5210   department