[comp.periphs] Exabyte head cleaning kit

mark@alias.UUCP (Mark Andrews) (08/30/89)

My company recently purchased a 8mm Exabyte tape drive for one of our
SGI 4D workstations. I require some information on the availability and
price of a Exabyte head cleaning kit. An address (and/or phone #) and
price would be appreciated.

	Mark Andrews
	Systems Programmer,
	Alias Research,
	Toronto, Canada
Phone:	(416)-362-9181
UUCP:	mark%alias@csri.utoronto.ca

battan@qtc.UUCP (Jim Battan) (09/01/89)

In article <450@alias.UUCP> mark@alias.UUCP (Mark Andrews) writes:
>I require some information on the availability and
>price of a Exabyte head cleaning kit.

I called two companies to ask about their cleaning kits.  First, Perfect
Byte, Inc. said that they were offering kits at $23, quantity one.  Theirs
are "wet" kits, the ones with Freon.  They said there have been some reports
of damage with the wet kits (the spindle gets munched), but cleaning them
is better than not.  They had heard Exabyte would be coming out with a
"dry" kit soon.

Then I called Exabyte's technical support.  They said the wet kits will
void Exabyte's warranty on the drive.  Exabyte now exclusively sells a dry
kit for $25 each (minimum order 5).  The tapes work three times, and are
recommended every month or after 30GB have been written.  Thus, five tapes
should last about a year.

Exabyte's address: 1745 38th St, Boulder, CO  80301.
Direct Sales: 800/767-TAPE(8273), x466.  They take Visa or checks.

You should read comp.sys.sun; periodically there's useful info there about
8mm drives, particularly from George Goble ("Mr. Exabyte").
--
Jim Battan     uunet!sequent!qtc!battan    +1 503 626 3081
Quantitative Technology Corporation (QTC)

ghg@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU (George Goble) (09/01/89)

In article <457@qtc.UUCP>, battan@qtc.UUCP (Jim Battan) writes:
> In article <450@alias.UUCP> mark@alias.UUCP (Mark Andrews) writes:
> >I require some information on the availability and
> >price of a Exabyte head cleaning kit.
>
> I called two companies to ask about their cleaning kits.  First, Perfect
> Byte, Inc. said that they were offering kits at $23, quantity one.  Theirs
> are "wet" kits, the ones with Freon.  They said there have been some reports
> of damage with the wet kits (the spindle gets munched), but cleaning them
> is better than not.  They had heard Exabyte would be coming out with a
> "dry" kit soon.

I suspect the "reports" of damage from Perfect Byte originated here.

We finally "damaged" a drive with an official Exabyte "wet" cleaning
kit.  We had been involved early on in the testing of the BETA
"wet" kits (you got a whole bottle of freon-TF with those instead
of a few drops).  We often got rotor stalls from both the BETA and
production "wet" kits.  Also it was noticed that the cleaning tape
usually evaporated pretty much dry by the time it got to the heads.
The drive above took a rotor stall (we have many drives with clear
plastic lids so users can gawk at them) and the cleaning tape "folded"
on drum and got tangled up real bad, caught in the gears, on the
load ring, etc.  Something got bent or changed in that drive, so
it mangled new tapes when trying to load them after the cleaning.

Exabyte has been investigating "dry" cleaning
for many months now, and a few bent drives probably convinced them
to go with it.  The "dry" method is the same as the "wet" method,
except that no Freon is used.  You can still use your "wet" kits
made by Exabyte (and sometimes resold by other vendors), but
just don't use the Freon.

Exabyte has just issued a Technical Bulletin 89-08-02 15-Aug-89
concerning cleaning kits.  Below is this bulletin in its entirety

1) Purpose of this Technical Bulletin

	This Technical Bulletin (TB) describes a change in the EXABYTE
8mm Cartridge Tape Subsystem Cleaning Kit

2) Number of Pages

	This TB consists of a total of two (2) pages.

3) Problems and Questions

	If you encounter any problems or have any questions regarding this
information contained in any TB, contact the following:

		EXABYTE Corporation
		1745 38th Street
		Boulder, Colorado 80301

		Attention: Technical Support

		phone:(800) 445-7736/(303) 442-4333
		Telex: 361740
		Fax: (303) 447-0467

4) Description of Change

	The EXABYTE 8mm Cartridge Tape Subsystem Cleaning Kit (Part
Number 180123) is being replaced by a cleaning kit without the cleaning
solution (trichlorotrifluoroethane).  The new cleaning kit (Part Number
727113-A00) contains the same cleaning tape cartridge, but does not
This change is related to several issues:

	o  Extensive studies within EXABYTE engineering have concluded
	   that regular cleaning with the dry EXABYTE cleaning cartrdige,
	   starting at the time of installation, adequately prevents
	   contaminant buildup.

	o  The dry cleaning cartridge is easier to use

	o  EXABYTE supports the worldwide environmental concern for the
	   overuse of fluorocarbons

5) Availabiltiy of the New Cleaning Kit

	Limited quantities of the new EXABYTE 8mm Cartridge Tape Subsystem
Cleaning Kit (Part Number 727013-A00) will be available on 15 September 1989.

------- end of TB ----

--ghg

Geo. Goble, Engineering Computer Network, Purdue Univ, W. Lafayette, IN 47907
{backbone}!pur-ee!ghg  or ghg@purdue.edu

carroll@cell.mot.COM (Steve Carroll) (09/06/89)

	Contact Stacey A. Wilderberg of Artecon Inc (address and phone below).  She sell
	Exabyte cleaning kit for $20 unit one.  Exabyte suggests cleaning every 30 GB and
	these unit are good for 3 cleanings.   These are procedued by Exabyte and will not
	violate any warranty that you have on the tape drive.

	Stacey A. Wildenberg
	Artecon Inc.
	Box 9000, Dept. 5500
	Carlbad, Ca 92008-0993

	(619) 931-5500
--
	Steven R. Carroll ---> carroll@ivory ...!uunet!motcid!carroll
	Thought for the day:

	186,000 miles per second.  Not just a good idea, its the law.