[comp.periphs] Capacity of Mitsubishi MR535

dougm@palomar.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Doug Marshall) (09/06/89)

I've seen various references to the Mitshubishi MR535 hard disk as 40 AND 60
megabytes. Do you get the 40Mb with MFM and 60Mb with RLL? Is the drive
certified for RLL? If I knew who the distributor was I would call them myself.
Has anyone had any experience with this drive?
----
Doug Marshall   <Doug.Marshall@SanDiego.NCR.COM>
+1 619 485 3494 <...!ncr-sd!palomar!dougm>
"All of us is smarter than each of us!"

dgs@swdev.Waterloo.NCR.COM (David G. Schwartz) (09/07/89)

In article <1739@ncr-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM> dougm@palomar.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Doug Marshall) writes:
>I've seen various references to the Mitshubishi MR535 hard disk as 40 AND 60
>megabytes.

The summary just about says it all. I bought a '386 machine a month ago with
the Mitsu 535 drive and a DTC 1:1 RLL controller. Under DOS 3.30 I get
1 32MB partition and 1 30MB partition. The drive works with either format but
they are listed by two part numbers: 535-M (not tested for RLL) and 535-R
(tested and certified for RLL). The price difference I've seen in Computer
Shopper is $10 US extra for the -R (I believe approx $395 is the best I've
seen - Dallas Systems or some such name).
--
Life is so complicated, if we could just get a look at the source code ....
  WEST:  {hp-sdd,ucsd,nosc.arpa,dcdwest,pyramid}!ncr-sd!

croley@walt.cc.utexas.edu (David T. Croley) (09/07/89)

In article <1739@ncr-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM> dougm@palomar.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Doug Marshall) writes:
>I've seen various references to the Mitshubishi MR535 hard disk as 40 AND 60
>megabytes. Do you get the 40Mb with MFM and 60Mb with RLL? Is the drive
>certified for RLL? If I knew who the distributor was I would call them myself.
>Has anyone had any experience with this drive?

All that I can find is that the MR535 is 50.85Mb unformatted and 42Mb formatted.
60Mb must be with RLL.  From what I can tell, Mitsubishi sells the MR535 in an
RLL format under the name MR537S.  Same drive but RLL.  Hope this helps.

David T. Croley                               The University of Texas at Austin
croley@sleepy.cc.utexas.edu
croley@(pick a dwarf).cc.utexas.edu        "Don't believe everything you read."

macy@fmsystm.UUCP (Macy Hallock) (09/07/89)

In article <1739@ncr-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM> dougm@palomar.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Doug Marshall) writes:
>I've seen various references to the Mitshubishi MR535 hard disk as 40 AND 60
>megabytes. Do you get the 40Mb with MFM and 60Mb with RLL? Is the drive
>certified for RLL? If I knew who the distributor was I would call them myself.
>Has anyone had any experience with this drive?

This is a drive we routinely use and like very much.
It is RLL certified. (The earliest one's weren't, though)
It's about 42mb MFM and 62mb RLL.  Configuration is
5 heads X 977 cylinders, so a disk type 17 on most
AT bios's works well.  We prefer to use it with Adaptec
2372, 2370 and 2070 RLL controllers.  We have used it
succesfully with many WD MFM controllers.  DTC's work
well with the 535, too.

The OMTI and WD1003V and WD1006V controllers seem to
have higher error rates than normal when used with
this drive. (I have and offer no explaination for
this observed behavior)

In summary: recommended. It is fast and reliable.

We buy them from ADPI and BSM.  Sometimes in short supply.
Also advertised in Computer Shopper (what isn't?)
Wholesale cost in small qty. is about 370-385 ea.
Note: we have observed an occasional noisy drive in this series.
Lubrication of the bottom shaft with a small amount of graphite
fixs this, just as is it does for several other mfr's drives.

       Macy Hallock               fmsystm!macy@NCoast.ORG
       F M Systems, Inc.          hal!ncoast!fmsystm!macy
       150 Highland Dr.           uunet!hal.cwru.edu!ncoast!fmsystm!macy
       Medina, OH 44256           Voice: 216-723-3000 X251
       Disclaimer:                My advice is worth what you paid for it.
       Alt.disclaimer:            Your milage may vary.
       Biz.disclaimer:            My opinions are my own. What do I know?