[comp.periphs] Problem with Mac Plus booting off a Newbury drive

paryavi@harris.cis.ksu.edu (Saiid Paryavi) (09/12/89)

My Mac Plus simply refuses to boot off of my Newbury 3380 drive.  As I
understand it, the Mac Plus does not provide power on the SCSI bus and if
a drive is depending on SCSI bus power for termination, it will not be
recognized?!!  The 3380 has a jumper that determines if the drive should
get its termination power from the SCSI bus or from the drive itself.  I
tried it in either position but still the Plus refused to boot from it.
Does any of you SCSI gurus out there recognize this problem and can suggest
a solution?

I appreciate your help very much.

--
Saiid Paryavi                      			Computer Science Dept.
Internet:  paryavi@harris.cis.ksu.edu			Nichols Hall

jlohmeye@entec.Wichita.NCR.COM (John Lohmeyer) (09/12/89)

In article <3436@deimos.cis.ksu.edu> paryavi@harris.cis.ksu.edu (Saiid Paryavi) writes:
>My Mac Plus simply refuses to boot off of my Newbury 3380 drive.

 ... What Saiid tried with no success is deleted ...

>Does any of you SCSI gurus out there recognize this problem and can suggest
>a solution?

I understand that Macs will not boot if the drive reports CHECK CONDITION
status to the first I/O (as required by SCSI).  Some drive vendors have
jumpers or a special mode page to disable the reporting of unit attention
so that their drives can be used on Macs.  If the Mac will talk to your drive
after booting on some other drive, this is probably your problem.

--
John Lohmeyer         J.Lohmeyer@Wichita.NCR.COM
NCR Corp.             uunet!ncrlnk!ncrwic!entec!jlohmeye

km@cadre.dsl.pitt.edu (Ken Mitchum) (09/14/89)

>My Mac Plus simply refuses to boot off of my Newbury 3380 drive.  As I
>understand it, the Mac Plus does not provide power on the SCSI bus and if
>a drive is depending on SCSI bus power for termination, it will not be
>recognized?!!

The problem with Newbury drives and the MacPlus does not have anything to do
with the source of +5 volts for the terminating resistors, which should be
the drive. The problem with the MacPlus appears to be that the Newbury
drive spends an inordinate amount of time doing self-testing on powerup,
and ends up sitting on the SCSI bus. This is not appear related to the
infamous "unit attention on reset" problem, as it still occurs when unit
attention on reset is disabled, and with new Mac roms. The drives work fine
with newer Macs, which apparantly recover and reset the bus. My solution
was to simply boot the MacPlus from a floppy, then switch to the hard disk.

 Ken Mitchum
 Decision Systems Labs
 Univ of Pgh
 km@cadre.dsl.pitt.edu