[comp.periphs] Teac SCSI Tape Group Purchase

jones@optilink.UUCP (Marvin Jones) (09/09/89)

I haven't seen any discussion lately re: the bulk purchase of the Teac 150M
SCSI tape backup systems.  I replied to the poster who expressed interest in
the group purchase, but never got a reply.  I have also heard that someone
was maintaining a mailing list re: this, but I have no address or contact.

Has anyone else made contact on this?  Is anyone interested?  I have contacted
Teac to request technical literature, but have not received anything yet.  I
have the names of three distributors in the SF bay area, but have delayed
contact waiting for response from this alleged purchase group.  If the group
is not happening I am considering getting a single unit for myself anyway
(I hate floppy backups :+).

The remaining technical issues -- What have others used for a driver?
Do some of the existing tape system drivers work with the Teac controller?
Any experiences with the Teac drive working with DiskFit 1.5?

Thanks and Regards-

--
	Marvin Jones 		{pyramid, pixar, tekbspa}!optilink!jones
	Optilink Corp. 		 ATT-net:  707-795-9444 X 206

cramer@sun.com (Sam Cramer) (09/12/89)

The group purchase of Teac 150MB mechanism is proceeding - in fact, I've
just asked those people who earlier expressed an interest for checks.  We
have a quantity price of $385 for the drives.  We are stilling exploring
the issues of enclosures and software.

If you're interested in getting a Teac drive, contact me ASAP, and you may
still be able to get in on the group buy.  Don't panic if you're
interested, but think that you're going to miss the group-buy window - the
quantity one price from the distributor is only $10 more than the price
we're getting.

If you'd like to be added to the mailing list of people interested in the
Teac drive, send mail to teac-request@rascal.ics.utexas.edu.  An archive of
the discussion on the mailing list may be ftp'ed from rascal.ics.utexas.edu
via anonymous ftp from the directory ~ftp/mac/... (yes, the directory name
is "...").  The file you want is teac.archives.

>The remaining technical issues -- What have others used for a driver?
>Do some of the existing tape system drivers work with the Teac controller?
>Any experiences with the Teac drive working with DiskFit 1.5?

The Teac drive does not work with DiskFit.  I understand it sort of works
with FastBack II, and definitely works with FastTape (from Nuvo Labs) and
Retrospect (from Dantz).  I am not aware of any driver that allows the
drive to appear on the desktop.

Sam

michael_alan_hauser@cup.portal.com (09/14/89)

I have been using a Teac 150 Meg tape drive for several months. I
got the case from IB Computers (503) 297-8425. I think it was around
$65 or so. Make sure to specify that the front bezel flaps no extend
below the height of the drive. They'll know what you mean if you
tell them it's for a tape drive.

Retrospect (Dantz) works great with the drive. It's the best backup
software made (in my opinion) and worth the price.

Michael Hauser
hauser@cup.portal.com