[comp.periphs] A standalone 1/4-inch SCSI tape drive?

rsm@math.arizona.edu (Robert S. Maier) (09/19/89)

I'm looking for a standalone 1/4-inch tape drive with a SCSI
interface.  I'm buying a Data General workstation with a 50-pin SCSI
port, and I'd like to be able to plug the tape drive into it.

Unfortunately standalone 1/4-inch SCSI tape drives seem pretty rare.
(I'd like the tape unit to handle 60 Meg tape cartridges and use
Sun-compatible QIC-24 format, by the way.)  Far more common are
shoebox units containing both a SCSI tape and a SCSI disk.

In fact the only vendor I could find wanted over $2K for a standalone
1/4-inch tape unit.  That seems pretty high, especially considering
that 8mm Exabyte tape drives, handling up to 2200 Meg, can be bought
for as little as $4K!

Can anyone recommend a vendor of less expensive 1/4-inch SCSI tape
drives?  I'd go with the Exabyte, but it's beyond my means..

--
Robert S. Maier   | Internet: rsm@math.arizona.edu	[128.196.128.99]
Dept. of Math.    | UUCP: ..{allegra,cmcl2,hao!noao}!arizona!amethyst!rsm

seymour@blake.acs.washington.edu (Richard Seymour) (09/20/89)

In article <RSM.89Sep18200600@amethyst.math.arizona.edu> rsm@math.arizona.edu (Robert S. Maier) writes:
>I'm looking for a standalone 1/4-inch tape drive with a SCSI
>interface.  I'm buying a Data General workstation with a 50-pin SCSI

One of our people bought an "Archive Corp". (sold for use with IBM PC's)
so its input connector is a "QIC-02 format".
It usually comes with an IBM AT interface card.
But you throw that away and buy from Emulex an MT-02 interface card.
That will interface a QIC-02 to a SCSI system.

Thewhole mess cost less than $1000.

(all of this poop was painfully extracted from someone who bought one
-- he bought his by mail order from CompuSave (they advertise ibn
byte) -- (the drive, that is)
the controller came from an electronics supplier
(like Hamilton Avnet, or Almac, or Arrow....)

i apologize for the disjointed nature of the reply, but this all
happened three years ago, and he was trying to remember things with
no warning...

-- dick seymour@uwaphast

buck@siswat.UUCP (A. Lester Buck) (09/24/89)

In article <3686@blake.acs.washington.edu>, seymour@blake.acs.washington.edu (Richard Seymour) writes:
> In article <RSM.89Sep18200600@amethyst.math.arizona.edu> rsm@math.arizona.edu (Robert S. Maier) writes:
> >I'm looking for a standalone 1/4-inch tape drive with a SCSI
> >interface.  I'm buying a Data General workstation with a 50-pin SCSI
>
> One of our people bought an "Archive Corp". (sold for use with IBM PC's)
> so its input connector is a "QIC-02 format".
> It usually comes with an IBM AT interface card.
> But you throw that away and buy from Emulex an MT-02 interface card.
> That will interface a QIC-02 to a SCSI system.
>
> Thewhole mess cost less than $1000.
>
> -- dick seymour@uwaphast

I use the same system, except the Archive drive I have is QIC-36 and
the MT-02 is definitely QIC-36 to SCSI.  I bought an Archive FastTape 60
standalone unit for about $450 with PC interface card and was able to
replace the internal 50 conductor ribbon cable with a longer version.
I can now use the PC interface with its custom shielded cable OR a SCSI
attachment from the MT-02 by way of the 50 pin QIC-36 cable.  (The MT-02
does need power separately, of course.)

But why not just buy one of the Archive or Wangtek SCSI units directly?  The
MT-02 is hardly state-of-the-art now, but still costs ~$400.  Another
solution is an integrated drive and controller, such as the (old) Cipher
540S, which I bought used for about $500 in Computer Hotline.  The 540S uses
a custom version of the MT-02 to Cipher proprietary interface, though the
SCSI view is (virtually) identical.  The 540S's problem is it only takes the
DC300XL/P tapes at 40 MB.  Using a DC600A leads to drastically reduced head
life, according to Cipher.

--
A. Lester Buck		...!texbell!moray!siswat!buck