[comp.periphs] power requirements for 1/4" tape drives

rsm@math.arizona.edu (Robert S. Maier) (11/09/89)

I just bought a quarter-inch Archive tape drive (model 2150S, if it
matters).  It's a half-height drive, and I was planning on mounting it
in a standard half-height floppy disk drive enclosure.

However...  the power supply in said enclosure only supplies 1 amp of
+5V, and 1.2 amps of +12V.  On the tape drive is a little sticker
reading

	+5V  /  17.5W
	+12V /  48W

It looks to me as if the power supply will be severely overloaded, to
put it mildly.

I don't have the manual for the tape drive yet, so I'm forced to ask
the net:  are those figures reasonable?  Will the tape drive actually
use that much power?

If so, then my enclosure (bought from Jameco) obviously won't cut it.
Does anyone sell half-height (or even full-height!) enclosures
equipped with heavier-duty power supplies?

--
Robert S. Maier   | Internet: rsm@math.arizona.edu	[128.196.128.99]
Dept. of Math.    | UUCP: ..{allegra,cmcl2,hao!noao}!arizona!amethyst!rsm

paulb@zds-ux.UUCP (Paul E. Berg) (11/10/89)

>From: rsm@math.arizona.edu (Robert S. Maier)
>I just bought a quarter-inch Archive tape drive (model 2150S, ...
>... I don't have the manual for the tape drive yet, so I'm forced to
>ask the net: ... Will the tape drive actually use that much power?

Archive lists the power requirements for the 2060S and 2150S
(in their June 1988 revision product manual) as:

                              +12V             +5

 Tolerance (incl. max.       +-10%            +-5%
 ripple of 200mV)

 Standby Current          0.2 amps nom.   0.45 amps nom.

 Operational Current      0.8 amps nom.    0.5 amps nom.
                          1.5 amps max.    0.7 amps max.

 Tape Start Surge         2.5 amps max.
 (up to 300msec.)

 Power Dissapation        20 watts typ.
 (operational)            35 watts max.

I think you should look for another enclosure.  BTW, I've had no
trouble with a 2150S mounted inside my standard desktop enclosure.

Paul E. Berg | UUCP: ...uunet!zds-ux!paulb

mcconnel@b11.ingr.com (Guy McConnell) (11/10/89)

In article <RSM.89Nov8225829@obsidian.math.arizona.edu>, rsm@math.arizona.edu (Robert S. Maier) writes:
> I just bought a quarter-inch Archive tape drive (model 2150S, if it
> matters).  It's a half-height drive, and I was planning on mounting it
> in a standard half-height floppy disk drive enclosure.
>
> However...  the power supply in said enclosure only supplies 1 amp of
> +5V, and 1.2 amps of +12V.  On the tape drive is a little sticker
> reading
>
> 	+5V  /  17.5W
> 	+12V /  48W
>
> It looks to me as if the power supply will be severely overloaded, to
> put it mildly.
>
> I don't have the manual for the tape drive yet, so I'm forced to ask
> the net:  are those figures reasonable?  Will the tape drive actually
> use that much power?

REQUIREMENT                    +12V                       +5V

Tolerance (incl. max.       +or- 10%                   +or- 5%
ripple of 200mV)

Standby Current           0.2 amps nom.             0.45 amps nom.

Operational Current       0.8 amps nom.              0.5 amps nom.
                          1.5 amps max.              0.7 amps max.

Tape Start Surge          2.5 amps max.
(up to 300msec)

Power Dissapation         20 watts typ.
(operational)             35 watts max.