[comp.periphs] SCSI question

shankar@SRC.Honeywell.COM (Subash Shankar) (11/15/89)

Is there a list of SCSI commands documented anywhere?
If it makes a difference, I'm using an Apple SCSI hard drive (made by
Quantum/Mirror).
---
Subash Shankar             Honeywell Systems & Research Center
voice: (612) 782 7558      US Snail: 3660 Technology Dr., Minneapolis, MN 55418
shankar@src.honeywell.com  srcsip!shankar

jhart@ncrwic.Wichita.NCR.COM (Jim Hart) (11/15/89)

In article <39190@srcsip.UUCP> shankar@src.honeywell.com (Subash Shankar) writ

>Is there a list of SCSI commands documented anywhere?
>If it makes a difference, I'm using an Apple SCSI hard drive (made by
>Quantum/Mirror).

The ANSI SCSI spec, X3.131-1986 is available from ANSI at
1430 Broadway
New York, NY 10018
Sales Dept. phone (212)642-4900

The SCSI-2 working document (draft) is available thru
Global Engineering Documents
2805 McGaw
Irvine, CA 92714
(800)854-7179 or (714)261-1455
Its document # is X3T9.2/86-109

   JH

jlohmeye@entec.Wichita.NCR.COM (John Lohmeyer) (11/15/89)

In article <5675@ncrwic.Wichita.NCR.COM> (Jim Hart) writes:
>The SCSI-2 working document (draft) is available thru
>Global Engineering Documents
>2805 McGaw
>Irvine, CA 92714
>(800)854-7179 or (714)261-1455
>Its document # is X3T9.2/86-109
                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
True, Jim, but Global Engineering Documents knows it as: X3.131-198x.  (The
number you gave is the committee document number.)

While I am spending network bandwidth, I should also mention that electronic
versions of the SCSI-1 and draft SCSI-2 standards are available on the SCSI
BBS at (316)-636-8700.  These documents are stored in ZIP format and contain
WordStar (tm) files.  The SCSI-1 files are actually revision 17B, which was
the final approved committee draft document -- it is not identical to the
ANSI standard, but should be technically equivalent.  The SCSI-2 files are
for revision 10b, which is currently in a public review and comment period.

To avoid the usual series of questions:  No, these files are not available
for anonymous FTP (whatever that is :-).  If someone wants to make them
available for anonymous FTP, I'll be glad to cooperate -- I don't have the
resources/knowledge...

--
John Lohmeyer         J.Lohmeyer@Wichita.NCR.COM
NCR Corp.             uunet!ncrlnk!ncrwic!entec!jlohmeye

cfj@nosun.UUCP (Charlie Johnson) (11/17/89)

There are a couple of documents which in describe SCSI (commands & interface)
in gross detail.  They are :

        COMMON COMMAND SET (CCS) of the Small Computer System Interface (SCSI)
        X3T9.2/85-52 Rev 4.B (Is there a new revision???)

and
        American National Standard for information systems - small
        computer system interface (SCSI)
        ANSI X3.131-1986

Both of these are ANSI documents.   I haven't found them real useful from a
software standpoint.  Much more useful has been just the manuals for the
particular SCSI device you are interested in.  They tell which SCSI commands
that device supports and usually gives an overview of SCSI.

--Charles Johnson
  Intel Scientific Computers
  Beaverton, OR  97006
  cfj@isc.intel.com

jlohmeye@entec.Wichita.NCR.COM (John Lohmeyer) (11/20/89)

In article <437@intelisc.nosun.UUCP> cfj@intelisc.UUCP (Charlie Johnson) writes:

>There are a couple of documents which in describe SCSI (commands & interface)
>in gross detail.  They are :
>
>        COMMON COMMAND SET (CCS) of the Small Computer System Interface (SCSI)
>        X3T9.2/85-52 Rev 4.B (Is there a new revision???)
>
>and
>        American National Standard for information systems - small
>        computer system interface (SCSI)
>        ANSI X3.131-1986
>
>Both of these are ANSI documents.

Well, almost.  The first, CCS, is not an ANSI standard.  Its not even an
ANSI document (whatever that is?).  CCS is (more like was) a working document
of the X3T9.2 task group of ANSI-accredited standards committee, X3.  (If that
sounds like lawyer talk -- it is.)  Groups like X3 are accredited by ANSI, but
are not part of ANSI.

Anyway, many SCSI products were designed to both documents, but CCS does not
have any real status as a standard.  I would recommend using SCSI-2 for new
product design -- at least it is in the approval process to become an ANSI
standard.  SCSI-2 includes all of the worthwhile concepts from CCS plus many
more useful features.  The official designation for SCSI-2 is X3.131-198x. It
will replace SCSI-1 upon its approval.  Note that the 198x should really be
199x as the earliest that SCSI-2 will be approved is 1990.

All three of these documents can be purchased from Global Engineering Documents
at (800) 854-7179.  They know these documents as:

  SCSI-1   X3.131-1986
  CCS      CCS
  SCSI-2   X3.131-198x

These documents (except CCS) are available on the SCSI BBS (316-636-8700)
in electronic format (ZIP'd WordStar files).

>I haven't found them real useful from a
>software standpoint.  Much more useful has been just the manuals for the
>particular SCSI device you are interested in.  They tell which SCSI commands
>that device supports and usually gives an overview of SCSI.

While I would agree that the standards are not as easy to read as a device
manual, be careful that you do not write your software so that it only works
with that vendor's product.  This is exactly how Apple got in trouble with
the early MACs.