[comp.periphs] How fast can a typical Laser printer Centronix Interface go?

garvey@cmic.UUCP (Joe Garvey) (11/15/89)

I was told by a vendor that the Centronix interface in a typical (Laserjet II)
interface would only transfer data at about 50 Kbaud (yes I know it's byte
wide, but it's easier to compare to a serial interface this way).

Is this true, if so is it really worth having a centronix interface in a
printer?

--

Joe Garvey                       UUCP: {apple,backbone}!versatc!mips!cmic!garvey
California Microwave             Internet: mips.com!cmic!garvey

We recently appeared in the maps. If your site is up to date, we're there.

rjn@hpfcso.HP.COM (Bob Niland) (11/16/89)

re: "I was told by a vendor that the Centronix interface in a typical
     (Laserjet II) interface would only transfer data at about 50 Kbaud"

> Is this true, if so is it really worth having a centronix interface in a
> printer?

Yes, if only because the serial interface can only hit about 19.2Kbaud.
Incidentally, both interfaces are always present.

As I understand it, the LJ's I/O performance is limited not by the
interface, but by the architecture.  The LJ was designed back when RAM was
expensive, so it does not have a full page-image buffer.  Each laser scan
line is fabricated in real-time from a tokenized (partially pre-processed)
representation of the input data stream.  The processor is an 8MHz MC68000.
This design is also why Error 21 sometimes occurs.

The print engine will hold-off the interface when the parsing and tokenizing
can't keep up with the inbound data.   This is what limits I/O rates.

Regards,                                              Hewlett-Packard
Bob Niland      rjn%hpfcrjn@hplabs.HP.COM             3404 East Harmony Road
                UUCP: [hplabs|hpfcse]!hpfcla!rjn      Ft Collins CO 80525-9599

This response does not represent the official position of, or statement by,
the Hewlett-Packard Company.  The above data is provided for informational
purposes only.  It is supplied without warranty of any kind.

chrise@hpnmdla.HP.COM (Chris Eich) (11/16/89)

Our HP LaserJet 2000 with Centronics interface can accept data at up to
28kbytes/sec (x10baud/byte = 280kbaud) when we're printing full-page
bitmaps.  One data point....

Chris Eich
chrise@hpnmd.hp.com

dold@mitisft.Convergent.COM (Clarence Dold) (11/17/89)

in article <218@cmic.UUCP>, garvey@cmic.UUCP (Joe Garvey) says:

> I was told by a vendor that the Centronix interface in a typical (Laserjet II)
> interface would only transfer data at about 50 Kbaud (yes I know it's byte
> wide, but it's easier to compare to a serial interface this way).

We recently drove a parallel interface printer at a full 30PPM, 80 columns,
60 Lines Per Page.  That works out to (excuse me while I !bc) 24Kbaud.
If you can find a printer faster than 30PPM, maybe it matters.
We also found that the 37PPM printer didn't like our UNIX a whole lot.
We would blast data to the printer at 50KBytes /second (yes it is Byte wide),
then go away for a while, then blast more data...
The data link is theoretically capable of 6uSec cycles, or 166KBytes,
but the priorities aren't keen on high printer load.
A serial link at 19.2K turned out to be much better.
--
---
Clarence A Dold - dold@tsmiti.Convergent.COM		(408) 434-5293

pipkins@qmsseq.imagen.com (Jeff Pipkins) (11/17/89)

In article <218@cmic.UUCP> garvey@cmic.UUCP (Joe Garvey) writes:
>I was told by a vendor that the Centronix interface in a typical (Laserjet II)
>interface would only transfer data at about 50 Kbaud (yes I know it's byte
>wide, but it's easier to compare to a serial interface this way).

Using a typical PC (what does this mean anymore?) running DOS, the
Centronics interface is software bound.  You can expect to get a maximum
of about 1K bytes/sec (equivalent to a 9600 baud serial connection).
A program that drives the port directly (*NOT* reccommended) can reach
speeds that violate the Centronics timing specs.  I wrote a replacement
DOS printer driver to speed things up.  If you use "copy /b file lpt1"
(/b is important), it will drive just about any printer at close to its
rated transfer speeds.  We've seen bursts of 30K bytes/sec to a PostScript
printer and speeds in excees of 90K to a dummy card with a scope
attached to it, when using a modest 286 machine.

If there is enough interest, I'll ask the boss if I can release the
driver.

P.S. The /b option of the copy command is equivalent to using MS-DOS
function 44h to set the "raw" (uncooked) mode on a character device.

Also: You can probably reach speeds of 10K bytes/sec by using the
BIOS int 17h function call to print instead of going through DOS.

neil@cpd.com (Neil Gorsuch) (11/21/89)

In article <8390002@hpfcso.HP.COM> rjn@hpfcso.HP.COM (Bob Niland) writes:
>re: "I was told by a vendor that the Centronix interface in a typical
>     (Laserjet II) interface would only transfer data at about 50 Kbaud"
>> Is this true, if so is it really worth having a centronix interface in a
>> printer?
>Yes, if only because the serial interface can only hit about 19.2Kbaud.
>Incidentally, both interfaces are always present.

Not in most workstations, especialy desktop workstations (until now,
that is, with our new product 8-).  And ours can do over 40 Kbytes per
second throughput in our low performance model 8-).

--
Neil Gorsuch        INTERNET: neil@cpd.com          UUCP: uunet!zardoz!neil
MAIL: 1209 E. Warner, Santa Ana, CA, USA, 92705     PHONE: +1 714 546 1100

mrm@sceard.Sceard.COM (M.R.Murphy) (11/22/89)

In article <48@qmsseq.imagen.com> pipkins@qmsseq.UUCP (Jeff Pipkins) writes:
>In article <218@cmic.UUCP> garvey@cmic.UUCP (Joe Garvey) writes:
>>I was told by a vendor that the Centronix interface in a typical (Laserjet II)
>>interface would only transfer data at about 50 Kbaud (yes I know it's byte
>>wide, but it's easier to compare to a serial interface this way).
>
>Using a typical PC (what does this mean anymore?) running DOS, the
>Centronics interface is software bound.  You can expect to get a maximum
>of about 1K bytes/sec (equivalent to a 9600 baud serial connection).
>A program that drives the port directly (*NOT* reccommended) can reach
>speeds that violate the Centronics timing specs.
[description of DOS driver replacement deleted...]

Seems that I remember that the original Centronics interface spec was
4us/byte (250Kbytes/sec). For 132 characters, then the paper had to
move, and 60lpm was real good. 60x132 characters/min = 132characters/sec.
Not too big a load and not likely software bound :-). Tempting for the
printer manufacturer to use one little Z80 chip instead of a whole big
board full of disrete logic to do the job. And while they're at it, might
as well do graphics and better fonts than the 101A, and wouldn't laser
engines be nice, and how about full page graphics and page description
languages, and the thread runs on like this sentence.

The Z80 became bogged, 2.5Kbytes/second typical rate for accepting data,
but that's fast compared to the printers (up to 300lpm or so) that were
using it. Use more Z80's in one printer, maybe better use one bigger CPU.
The 68000 can get bogged, too. Especially when called upon to manage the
print engine, the font generation, the page description language, the
host interface, the protocol, the coffepot, and whatever else is in printers
these days.  The work expands to bog whatever the CPU is.

For vector graphics, 1000 vectors/second converted to 300x300dpi bitimage
isn't too atypical now. In fact, maybe a bit fast. If a vector takes about
5 bytes to describe (13 for QUIC(tm), less for 4014(tm), less still for others),
then 5000 bytes/second is what the printer will accept when doing vector
graphics. Font management and generation can be a real sponge of CPU power.

The process gets even more complicated when something like POSTSCRIPT(tm)
can take 2MB of data to generate one lousy dot on the page (if you're
clever :-) or a dozen or so lines can take a day or so to produce one
page. I like bytes/hour as a unit of data transfer.
--
Mike Murphy  Sceard Systems, Inc.  544 South Pacific St. San Marcos, CA  92069
mrm@Sceard.COM        {hp-sdd,nosc,ucsd,uunet}!sceard!mrm      +1 619 471 0655