[comp.periphs] 3D input devices

faustus@yew.Berkeley.EDU (Wayne A. Christopher) (12/10/89)

I'm interested in 3D input devices that can be used with a DECstation
3100.  I've looked at the Polhemus 3SPACE, the Numonics MAX, and the
Spaceball, and I'd like to hear of any experiences interfacing these
devices to the 3100.  Do they require special drivers?  How well do they
work with X?  Thanks,

	Wayne

webber@porthos.rutgers.edu (Bob Webber) (12/10/89)

In article <20510@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU>, faustus@yew.Berkeley.EDU (Wayne A. Christopher) writes:
> I'm interested in 3D input devices that can be used with a DECstation
> 3100.  I've looked at the Polhemus 3SPACE, the Numonics MAX, and the
> Spaceball, and I'd like to hear of any experiences interfacing these
> devices to the 3100.  Do they require special drivers?  How well do they
> work with X?  Thanks,

The Polhemus 3SPACE connects via a standard RS-232 serial port.  No
special driver needed, but you will have to go into raw i/o mode
(under UNIX) to interact with it from a program.  I suspect people on
the X news group would know more about the possibility of X using something
other than the console mouse for input.  However, a program using X
for drawing can easily open the port where the device is connected and
use the results to guide what it draws.

The 3SPACE uses an electromagnetic field for measurements, and hence you
are advised to avoid digitizing metallic objects.

In the most recent BYTE, Science Accessories Corporation had an ad for
their GP-8-3D Three-Dimensional Sonic Digitizer.  It also comes with
an RS-232 interface.

There are some interesting tradeoffs in price and capability of these
devices.  You will probably want to call up the relevant companies and have
them send you their literature.  Usually they can give you the names of
actual users as well.

Now, if I could just find someone selling a 3-d location sensing device with an
rs-232 connecter for O($100), life would be so simple.

-- BOB (webber@athos.rutgers.edu ; rutgers!athos.rutgers.edu!webber)