[comp.periphs] fast storage devices?

dove@joker.uucp (Webster &) (12/17/89)

I am looking for recommendation for storage devices I can gang up and
use to stream data to at > 40Mbytes/sec.  So far things are looking
like either Fujitsu parallel head drives (~12Mbyte/sec) or Imprimis 8"
IPI two head drives (~6Mbytes/sec).

Can anyone suggest other alternatives (cheaper disks, fast tapes,
digital paper, VHS cartridge, etc.) ?  I DO care about cost and
availability though :)
--
		Dr. Webster Dove
		Special Computing Applications

g_ahrendt@vaxa.uwa.oz (Gunter Ahrendt) (12/18/89)

Regarding fast storage devices :

The new Control Data Corporation Disk Array Subsystem, a combination of
solid-state & magnetic disks. The transfer speed is 16.7MB per second!

emmo@moncam.co.uk (Dave Emmerson) (12/22/89)

In article <DOVE.89Dec16180120@joker.uucp>, dove@joker.uucp (Webster &) writes:
> I am looking for recommendation for storage devices I can gang up and
> use to stream data to at > 40Mbytes/sec.  So far things are looking

Wow! the only things I ever found that can handle that sorta rate are the
bit-bucket and the black hole, but they're both write-only devices.

I'll watch this thread with interest!

Dave E.