[comp.periphs] Logix VGA1000 card??

DEEJ@MAINE.BITNET (Dj Merrill - work) (12/29/89)

Has anybody had any experience with the Logix VGA1000 vga card??
Is it any good??
It claims to be compatible w/ mono, Herc, CGA, EGA, and all VGA modes
plus 800 x 600 (256 colors) and 1024 x 768 (16 colors).
It also claims to pass the PCTech Journal VGA test, and that the Paradise
Plus 16 card does not pass this test.  What is this test???  What does it
really mean to pass the test??
Any information that anyone might provide will be greatly appreciated.
I am planning on spending six to seven hundred dollars on a VGA setup and I
would like to get as much info as I can (and not be sorry after I make a
purchase).
It is being advertised on page 361 of the Jan 1990 issue of
Computer Shopper (Vol 10, No. 1)
Can anybody recommend a good setup?

Thank you,
-Dj Merrill
DEEJ at MAINE.BITNET

daved@cscnj.csc.COM (Dave Douglass) (01/03/90)

In article <DEEJ.89362165759@MAINE.BITNET>, DEEJ@MAINE.BITNET (Dj Merrill - work) writes:
> Has anybody had any experience with the Logix VGA1000 vga card??

> -Dj Merrill
> DEEJ at MAINE.BITNET

Santa brought me one for Xmas.  The "Logix" card is really a "Trident"
graphics card complete with drivers for most popular software packages.
The Windows/286 driver works nicely in 16 color 1024x768 on my multisync.
Logix Corp. throws in a floppy disk filled with PD VGA demos -- nothing
that you couldn't find elsewhere.

I have a suspicion that you can get this exact same card for <$185 from
many other sources.  A lot of places are advertising "no name" VGA cards
that are 1024x768 16 color capable in the latest Computer Shopper.  Just
call and ask 'em if it's a "Trident" card.

I haven't done much with it except to run the demos and install Windows/286.
I'd be glad to subject the card to any tests you'd recommend and let you know
the results.  I'd like to find out if it is everything it claims to be.

--
---------
Dave Douglass  Computer Sciences Corporation  Piscataway, NJ  08854

In article <619@cscnj.csc.COM> daved@cscnj.csc.COM (Dave Douglass) writes:

| I have a suspicion that you can get this exact same card for <$185 from
| many other sources.  A lot of places are advertising "no name" VGA cards
| that are 1024x768 16 color capable in the latest Computer Shopper.  Just
| call and ask 'em if it's a "Trident" card.

  Yes. I *think* this is the same card I got as Hedaka. It say "Trident"
when it POSTs, and fractint runs fine using the Trident chipset modes.
Before Christmas I was selling them for $175, so you know I got them at
a bargain, although I had to buy a bunch of them to do it.
that the world is flat!" - anon