[net.unix-wizards] 4.2 or 4.3 for uVaxII?

gb@vax135.UUCP (Gary Bishop) (08/19/85)

Will 4.2 or 4.3 BSD be available for DEC's new micro VAX II?  Yes, I know
that Ultrix *is* 4.2 but having the sources sure would be nice.

herbie@watdcsu.UUCP (Herb Chong - DCS) (08/19/85)

In article <1143@vax135.UUCP> gb@vax135.UUCP (Gary Bishop) writes:
>Will 4.2 or 4.3 BSD be available for DEC's new micro VAX II?  Yes, I know
>that Ultrix *is* 4.2 but having the sources sure would be nice.

i don't know how hard it is to get, but i know of at least one microvax I
that is running Ultrix 1.1 and it was ordered and delivered with source.

Herb Chong...

I'm user-friendly -- I don't byte, I nybble....

UUCP:  {decvax|utzoo|ihnp4|allegra|clyde}!watmath!water!watdcsu!herbie
CSNET: herbie%watdcsu@waterloo.csnet
ARPA:  herbie%watdcsu%waterloo.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
NETNORTH, BITNET, EARN: herbie@watdcs, herbie@watdcsu

louie@umd5.UUCP (08/20/85)

In article <1143@vax135.UUCP> gb@vax135.UUCP (Gary Bishop) writes:
>Will 4.2 or 4.3 BSD be available for DEC's new micro VAX II?  Yes, I know
>that Ultrix *is* 4.2 but having the sources sure would be nice.

Yes, Ultrix *is* 4.2 BSD, and you can get the sources.  We've got the sources
to Ultrix 1.1 here at the University of Maryland.  Talk to your DEC sales
types.
--
Louis A. Mamakos WA3YMH   University of Maryland, Computer Science Center
 Internet: louie@umd5.arpa

grayson@uiucuxc.Uiuc.ARPA (08/29/85)

I've heard the source will now be $750 to universities...

jordan@ucbvax.ARPA (Jordan Hayes) (08/31/85)

In article <106000005@uiucuxc> grayson@uiucuxc.Uiuc.ARPA writes:

>I've heard the source will now be $750 to universities...

We here in the distribution office for 4BSD will sell anyone with
a SYS III or SYS V (current) AT&T (commercial or university) source
license 4.2BSD. It runs on VAX-11/7{3,5,8}0. Those current 4.2BSD
sites will receive information packets in the mail when we are ready
to distribute 4.3

The current price of 4.2BSD is $750.

There has been no announcement of prices or delivery dates for 4.3

ado@elsie.UUCP (Arthur David Olson) (09/02/85)

In article <10249@ucbvax.ARPA>, jordan@ucbvax.ARPA (Jordan Hayes) writes:
> We here in the distribution office for 4BSD will sell anyone with
> a SYS III or SYS V (current) AT&T (commercial or university) source
> license 4.2BSD. It runs on VAX-11/7{3,5,8}0. . .
> The current price of 4.2BSD is $750.

Note, however, that in addition to paying $750 you also get to sign a license
with the UC Regents; this has posed challenges for some groups.  You might
want to ensure that your group can avoid such challenges before making plans
based on getting 4.2BSD.

This article, as all others, contains my personal views.
--
UNIX is an AT&T Bell Laboratories trademark.